Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 08:27 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,807,678 times

Advertisements

I was reading one of those closed blogs about racism vs sexism in wv politics, and wished I could have replied.

The only prejudice I've seen in WV came from 2 transplants from Alabama. Reducing people to black and white, they get along fine in my neighborhood. Now, if we were all speaking the truth, Obama is caramel, clinton is eggshell/ivory, and mccain is either pale peony or mauvy ecru depending upon who did his stage makeup. Fact is, from a painters perspective, we are ALL colors in various degrees based upon the light cast upon us, and especially by the eyes that are gazing, who choose to interpret everything they see from their own frame of reference. Sometimes it's a beam in the eye, sometimes a splinter, but it's a handicap unless we individually do the work to address it within ourselves. For others, it's a lifelong policy looking for others to blame and hate. It doesn't pay very well but it will earn you superficial friends to commiserate for as long as you can stomache it.

I wonder to myself how WV tolerates newcomers when they bring baggage like that, or if it's the standard reply- no thanks, I'm not having any- smile and walk away.

Last edited by harborlady; 05-03-2008 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: finish sentance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 05:10 AM

531 posts, read 1,746,389 times
I think the politics is more about nepostism and who will do do favors for whom if elected. At least that's my opinion. I haven't seen an extreme about of racism in the state,but I live in the north central area,so I can't answer for other parts of WV. You make a good point,when someone's life is not going well,they'll often look for someone else to blame: blacks blaming whites and vice versa,etc.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:23 AM

coffee tastes watered down and weak in WV. maybe its the water they're using, but I've never had crummy coffee at a 7-11 except for WV.

There, I've said it. That's my grievance against WV. :P

Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 PM

312 posts, read 1,060,935 times
Wow, back off, Harborlady, that's harsh! :=)
But seriously, haven't noticed it much here in the north so it could be something about the water where you are. I don't have any real complaints yet except maybe lack of street and traffic signs sometimes. And I'm learning the importance of having a flat yard here. Mowing on a hill is hard work! One thing I am wondering about, that I did observe, is different legal terminology when reading about arrests etc. in the paper. Most areas do have unique terms. One I see a lot here is "uttering" Do any locals know what that means to be arrested for "uttering? Am I subject to arrest for opening my big mouth ?

Old 05-05-2008, 06:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,245,948 times
That one threw me for a long time too, citybilly, and I grew up in WV!

I "think" it's trying to pass a bad check, or a forged check, something like that.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:23 PM

HAHAHAA city, boy am I in trouble!
maybe it was a typo- was supposed to be muttering? Proper diction and all that... lol

Old 05-05-2008, 07:10 PM

967 posts, read 2,999,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
HAHAHAA city, boy am I in trouble!
maybe it was a typo- was supposed to be muttering? Proper diction and all that... lol

....or maybe it's "uddering", and has to do with unwanted advances against a bovine.

Uttering is the act of offering a forged document to another when the offerer has knowledge that the document is forged.

~Mark

Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
....or maybe it's "uddering", and has to do with unwanted advances against a bovine.

Uttering is the act of offering a forged document to another when the offerer has knowledge that the document is forged.

~Mark
I've heard of cow tipping, but courting a bovine???
Keep those montana habits outta here!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:46 PM

312 posts, read 1,060,935 times
Thanks for the correct answer, I can check that off my list of things to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: