Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2023, 06:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times

Advertisements

If money was no object but you wanted to spend conservatively, what would be your personal taste in a home location/type between Teays Valley and Charleston? Please give reasons.

I have a friend moving to this area and her preferences may align with yours.

I'm fairly new and I make that commute every day. It's easy to overlook the little off-the-beaten-path communities.

My preferences would be enough property to have a few chickens and a garden. Space between neighbors. Not in the middle of town. But I'm not sure where. I've seen seedy looking sides of different communities. I've heard about chemicals in other areas. (I'm happy on acreage with horses up in a holler, but if I was her...)

But don't worry about her preferences. Tell me what you would like and why. You may already live in your favorite location. You may have visited some place.

(She will be looking for work in that general area but that doesn't factor in this thread.)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 02:53 PM

56 posts, read 66,305 times
If money was no object but you wanted to spend conservatively, what would be your personal taste in a home location/type between Teays Valley and Charleston? Please give reasons. So which is it? Is money no object, or does she want to be conservative?

I have a friend moving to this area and her preferences may align with yours. How would you know if your friends preferences would align with random strangers on the internet?

I'm fairly new and I make that commute every day. It's easy to overlook the little off-the-beaten-path communities. In which direction are you commuting? In which direction will your friend be commuting?

My preferences would be enough property to have a few chickens and a garden. Space between neighbors. Not in the middle of town. But I'm not sure where. I've seen seedy looking sides of different communities. I've heard about chemicals in other areas. (I'm happy on acreage with horses up in a holler, but if I was her...) You keep telling us about you, but what does your friend prefer? That's who we are trying to help, right?

But don't worry about her preferences. Tell me what you would like and why. You may already live in your favorite location. You may have visited some place. Oh, i see. So we aren't trying to help your friend. You just want to know what we like and prefer. I am so confused.

(She will be looking for work in that general area but that doesn't factor in this thread.) So now your friend is totally out of the picture, lol. This is a classic thread.

Ok so look, i enjoy living in Putnam County. It's close enough to the bigger city amenities in Huntington or Charleston, while also providing a newer housing stock, better schools, and safer neighborhoods. That should be enough of a selling point for just about anyone. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods between Cross Lanes/Barboursville. St. Albans even has pockets of nice places to live. But if i am a normal, middle class person looking to move to this area for the first time, i would avoid the inner core of South Charleston, Dunbar, Charleston, parts of St. Albans near rt 60. Parts of Nitro.

This 30+ mile area between Cross Lanes and Barboursville is a very desirable area to live. You can find homes in the 200k range all the way up to 800k in some of the more lucrative communities.

Last edited by TeaysValleyWV; 07-06-2023 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-06-2023, 07:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaysValleyWV View Post
If money was no object but you wanted to spend conservatively, what would be your personal taste in a home location/type between Teays Valley and Charleston? Please give reasons. So which is it? Is money no object, or does she want to be conservative?

I have a friend moving to this area and her preferences may align with yours. How would you know if your friends preferences would align with random strangers on the internet?

I'm fairly new and I make that commute every day. It's easy to overlook the little off-the-beaten-path communities. In which direction are you commuting? In which direction will your friend be commuting?

My preferences would be enough property to have a few chickens and a garden. Space between neighbors. Not in the middle of town. But I'm not sure where. I've seen seedy looking sides of different communities. I've heard about chemicals in other areas. (I'm happy on acreage with horses up in a holler, but if I was her...) You keep telling us about you, but what does your friend prefer? That's who we are trying to help, right?

But don't worry about her preferences. Tell me what you would like and why. You may already live in your favorite location. You may have visited some place. Oh, i see. So we aren't trying to help your friend. You just want to know what we like and prefer. I am so confused.

(She will be looking for work in that general area but that doesn't factor in this thread.) So now your friend is totally out of the picture, lol. This is a classic thread.

Ok so look, i enjoy living in Putnam County. It's close enough to the bigger city amenities in Huntington or Charleston, while also providing a newer housing stock, better schools, and safer neighborhoods. That should be enough of a selling point for just about anyone. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods between Cross Lanes/Barboursville. St. Albans even has pockets of nice places to live. But if i am a normal, middle class person looking to move to this area for the first time, i would avoid the inner core of South Charleston, Dunbar, Charleston, parts of St. Albans near rt 60. Parts of Nitro.

This 30+ mile area between Cross Lanes and Barboursville is a very desirable area to live. You can find homes in the 200k range all the way up to 800k in some of the more lucrative communities.
I believe your questions may have been rhetorical.

And yes, you're confused. I have that effect on people.

I'll try to clarify.

This is not a close personal friend. I'm not privy to her finances but I imagine her family could buy whatever they want. If you qualify for $X00K does that mean you want that much in a house? She mentioned the Teays Valley area so I thought I'd ask for the opinions of the locals.

I don't want commuting to factor in. Why would it matter which direction I travel anyway? I see both sides of the interstate coming and going.
"My preference" was a hypothetical. I'm where I want to be in the middle of nowhere with few neighbors, none within a quarter mile. Sorry that was not clear.

If 10 people state their preference and give reasons, she could very well read this thread and find similar taste with SOMEONE. It could happen. (Are you always this fun?)

She's liking Scott Depot, I found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia