Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 06:24 PM

175 posts, read 564,857 times

Advertisements

I was surfing the net today and typed in my Grandfather's name. Up pops a web site with this photo taken back around the early 1930's. It was taken in the Jarrel cemetary in Martin County Kentucky. My Grandfather, Grandmother, Mother and three of my aunts are present along with several great Uncle's, Aunts and I don't even know who else!! What a find!!! My Grandpa is second from the left in the back row.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mother's Family-jarrellcem.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 07:02 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,571 times
What a COOOL find!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:49 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
From time to time I look at genealogy.com....click on Community and then in the dropdown, click on Messageboards...on that screen, type in the family name...its a hoot.

'If we know who we were...we can see the future and what we can be...'

Old 06-13-2008, 03:48 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Navy View Post
I was surfing the net today and typed in my Grandfather's name. Up pops a web site with this photo taken back around the early 1930's. It was taken in the Jarrel cemetary in Martin County Kentucky. My Grandfather, Grandmother, Mother and three of my aunts are present along with several great Uncle's, Aunts and I don't even know who else!! What a find!!! My Grandpa is second from the left in the back row.
retired- Wow that must have been shocking. Any idea why family photos would be online from strangers? Are these extended relatives posting this, or a coincidence about the cemetary?

Old 06-13-2008, 05:30 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
retired- Wow that must have been shocking. Any idea why family photos would be online from strangers? Are these extended relatives posting this, or a coincidence about the cemetary?
Thats what I was wondering who posted it. Anyway, it is a great find.

How come in all the old photo's no one appears to smile. I know life was harder back than but it is a get together . All the old photo's of my parents look just like that one.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:38 AM

175 posts, read 564,857 times
The lady that posted the photo also has the family tree posted way back into the 1700's. She is some kin on my Grandma's side. Based on her last name, Hobbs, she's a distant cousin. I have an E-mail out to her and waiting on a reply.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:55 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Janipoo:

Here's how it happened...traveling photographer pulled up to your house in his buggy and asked the man if he wanted a photograph of the family...Paw was plowing with the mules when he came by and maw was baking bread because it was Tuesday...and the kids were at the swimming hole...everyone gathered together in a hurry..got in their best clothes and sat on chairs if the had any...almost always in the yard to show the house...the house was to small to take a tin type photo anyway...sometimes a prized milking cow or riding horse was shown...guns...what was proudly owned and sent a message of accomplishment was often included in the pic...

Within 30 years the photos were being done in a studio (but in good weather the Daugarretype Taker, would still peddle his goods to trump up his trade). The studio had back drops of palaces and waterfalls...carved chairs showed wealth...known or unknown)
and changes of clothing and large feathered hats were used...as well as finery for the men.

In the early part of the 20th century Kodak brought the box camera to us and the evolutions have taken place in that trade...now to the mini-camcorders we can cary in a pocket and view in an instant...

and it all began with the personal photographs of battlefield corpses...done during the civil war...loved ones wanting a final memory of the son who was sent off to war...

To answer your question...no one smiled...not much to smile about because of the relentless hard work..those were their days, and we should remember them with a reverance...we are here because they lived those lives of hardship.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 AM

650 posts, read 1,206,695 times
I think the smiling-in-photographs is a very recent cultural shift...looking at portraits over the past hundreds of years, you don't see folks grinning or smiling in most of them. Mona Lisa is in fact famous for the tiny half-smile she's got! And in many countries even today, people still don't smile for photographs; they simply stand there and let themselves be portrayed as they normally are.

Besides...didn't you say they were in a cemetery? Perhaps smiling may have been just a little bit inappropriate in light of that?

Congratulations on finding the family photo, btw, AND for sharing the news! (I'm off to hunt for some of my own--hope I'm not IN any!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia