Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times

Advertisements

Not sure how many people knew about this but I just found out about it recently and thought it was pretty cool. There's a monastery in Wayne County (near Huntington) called the Hermitage of the Holy Cross Monastery. They moved to WV from St. Louis in 2000. They produce soaps, art work and food to help support what they do as well as selling antique icons. They also allow visitors but seem to have a pretty strict dress code for those who do visit. You just don't hear about monasteries very often in our society today and I thought this was cool and wanted to share. Here's the link along with a video from youtube:

Hermitage of the Holy Cross

YouTube - From the Little Mountain - Large Trailer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:36 AM
x1x

227 posts, read 805,466 times
Thanks for a interesting article,

Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM

63 posts, read 200,188 times
Wonderful, Tim! Thanks. The one (monastery) ,that was in the area I grew up in baked bread but never allowed female vistors..so this would be something I've never experienced.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
The fact that it is Orthodox does make it pretty unique. Are you thinking of joining, Tim?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 PM

The uniqueness is more in the fact that it's a monastery. There are several orthodox churches around here, Greek, Russian, etc. And nope, not thinking about joining. Just thought it was cool and wanted to share. I do admire the guys that do join though. It would be a big step to leave everything behind and live that life.

And Genesee, you'll have to go check it out. They have some other videos on youtube that look pretty neat. I've not visited yet but I have bought some of the soap and stuff. I'd like to go in the Spring and check it out. Next time you're in Huntington, you can actually buy some of their stuff at the Downtown Depot. It's actually a little cheaper there and you can check out the other stuff too.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:11 PM

396 posts, read 923,560 times
I know about the place but never been there. They are under Russian Church Abroad jurisdiction but all service is in English which is unique for Ortodox church.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:10 PM

Since Tim is local, it might do him some good to spend more time
there. He could get in touch with his inner self.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Since Tim is local, it might do him some good to spend more time
there. He could get in touch with his inner self.
CT, I'm getting a little worried. Digging up my old posts, making reference to me when no one else does for no apparent reason. Either you're a little bitter or obsessed. And thanks for being concerned but I'm in pretty good shape when it comes to the inner self. How about you?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
CT, I'm getting a little worried. Digging up my old posts, making reference to me when no one else does for no apparent reason. Either you're a little bitter or obsessed. And thanks for being concerned but I'm in pretty good shape when it comes to the inner self. How about you?
No need to worry... you started this thread, and I figured you would be reading it. I'm neither bitter nor obsessed. I'm doing okay for an old guy, but we have several monasteries in the Hudson Valley if I need a retreat. Up until last year they had one outside of Morgantown, but I think they ran out of brothers. They used to have three in Wheeling, but are now down to one. It takes a rather special sort of individual to lead a monastic lifestyle.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:24 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
And nope, not thinking about joining. Just thought it was cool and wanted to share.
I'll bet your wife was glad to hear that!

I admire anyone making a commitment to faith by walking their talk. Looks like they found the perfect home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia