Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 14,585 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been sifting through these posts for awhile trying to find some answers, but thought it'd be easier just to ask my own question. My husband and I are moving to WV in the next few weeks. We were looking at the Martinsburg area, but the majority of the things I have been reading have been negative about that city. How is the Falling Waters area? My husband works in DC, but would only be making the drive about once a week. So, we would like to live further away, within an hour or so of DC. We have 2 small dogs, so a quiet area with a nice yard would be ideal. We also like to do outdoorsy stuff, like mountain biking and skiing. Also, WV seems to have the most affordable housing within the hours drive from DC. We're in a rush to find a place, so any reccomendations would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
We moved to Falling Waters a year ago and really like it. Are you looking to buy or rent? Where are you moving from? We moved from Pasadena, MD, when we first moved here I had to get used to driving to the stores. They built a WalMart in the Spring Mills area and it helps out a lot for picking up milk and stuff. I do most of my shopping in Hagerstown as it is close by, it is a little closer than the mall in Martinsburg.

Martinsburg does have some nice communities, we chose to stay out the Martinsburg area because we have kids and after research we decided to stay away from Martinsburg High.

If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM

240 posts, read 831,607 times
Falling Waters is a nice residential area, it is very close to I 81 and I 70. Walmart is the only store in this immediate area.

There is nothing wrong with Martinsburg at all. The comments you have probably seen are about downtown area. There are some very nice communities in Martinsburg, I highly recommend checking out the 'Martinsburg Station' and 'The Gallery' neighborhoods off of Delmar Orchard (exit 13). These neighborhoods are in a new section of town with new shopping options being built.

Overall you cannot go wrong anywhere in Berkeley county. You can be in downtown DC from your driveway in 90 minutes, or you can catch the MARC train from Martinsburg, it arrives at union station in slighly under 2 hours. Jefferson County is also something to consider.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 PM

We're moving from Ft. Bragg, NC and looking to rent. I'll check out those areas you've mentioned. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:22 PM

I've found a few places online that I might go look at, but I was wondering about the communities. I only found 1 in Falling Waters and 4 in Martinsburg. Any advice on these communities... Manor Park, Pleasant View or Hammonds Mill? There is also one in The Gallery which has already been reccomended. But I don't want to waste my time looking at some of these places if they're in the bad part of Martinsburg. Thanks a lot!!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM

240 posts, read 831,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB41 View Post
I've found a few places online that I might go look at, but I was wondering about the communities. I only found 1 in Falling Waters and 4 in Martinsburg. Any advice on these communities... Manor Park, Pleasant View or Hammonds Mill? There is also one in The Gallery which has already been reccomended. But I don't want to waste my time looking at some of these places if they're in the bad part of Martinsburg. Thanks a lot!!

Manor Park and Pleasant View are pretty close to each other, they are in the northern part of Martinsburg near Eagle School Road. Its near a few fast food restaurants, grocery, banks, and schools. Just a few miles from the Interstate. Hammonds Mills is directly off exit 20 and walking distance to the new Walmart. The address there is Martinsburg, but most people call it Spring Mills or Falling Waters. The Gallery is directly between exits 12 & 13 near the Martinsburg Mall, restaurants, grocery, and new shopping center being built with Target, Best Buy, Dick's, etc.

Are you looking for a townhouse, single family, or apartment? There is a new apartment complex near The Gallery, it is called Lee Trace. It looks nice.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 AM

We're looking for either a townhouse or single family and our budget is $1200/mo. So none of theses places are in the "bad" area of Martinsburg? I think I'll go check them out. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
I know that there are townhouses off of Route 11 heading to Route 9 but I can't remember the name of them but the complex looks clean and very nice and also looks as though there is plenty of parking. I know that they are rentals because they have a sign outside. Also here is a link that can give you some info also.

West Virginia Rental Homes, Houses for Rent in WV, West Virginia Home Rentals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia