Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:46 PM

14 posts, read 49,349 times

Advertisements

I think I goofed before and ate my post.

I am saving furiously and eliminating debt so that I can get out of the DC metroplex and relocate to W. VA. I have driven somewhat throughout the state, and the only place I have seen farms and growing are in the Tygart River Valley. I do not like the Tygart River Valley. The river is extremely shallow (thus more vulnerable to 'agricultural runoff'), the land is overgrazed, and there appears to be little concern about 'agricultural runoff' into the river. Since the river on or adjoining my farm will be my lifeline, potentially, I do not want to be drinking poop or mine leavings from it.

The panhandle counties, and the others bordering Virginia, share an unfortunate long term tendency to drought. I'm thinking the closest to DC where drought and sustainable water will not be a problem is in Tucker or Randolph County. Pocahontas County is afflicted with the drought profile as well. It seems that the mountain range just west of the Blue Ridge (Allegheny?) catches all the rain on the West side, leaving the eastward areas parched. This is the pattern in California as well.

I would like to be around a like minded growing community. When you are growing things, even if you are just fostering cattle until they grow big enough for the feedlot, you want to be in some vicinity with other folks doing same. More chances to coop on machinery, distribution, more likelihood that coops on other things are set up, etc. The economies of scale argument, still valid after all these years.

Soil is like gold. If you don't have good soil, you can spend the rest of your life trying to build up your pasture and fields. If you have good soil, you're in business as soon as you get your outbuildings squared away. I'd like enough forested land for a woodlot. I estimate about 5 acres should be enough.

Does anybody from W. VA know where I should look to find a place where I can grow things, which has good soil and water, where I will not be the only person doing same? It seems like there would be demand for regional organically grown meat and produce, what with the imminent costs in distribution and eco-awareness. I know I personally find the produce at the local farmers' market tastier than supermarket varieties.

Oh. I'm no expert in farming, having been a regular worker during my adult years. But I was raised on a farm. I am hoping it's sort of like riding a bicycle. And I am dead set on a rural life after I get my grubstake together.

I know the post is long, and I appreciate your tenacity in reading through it! Thank you for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
There seem to be a number of nice looking, well kept farms in the lower Greenbrier River valley. From, say, Little Levels (Hillsboro) south through Lewisburg, Alderson, and all the way to Hinton.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:07 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Growing season in Tucker County is pretty short but there are a lot of farms with cows. Lot of chicken farms I think it's near Moorefield or Petersburg.

There are several farms in Upshur County. Don't know about a river running through your property but the Buckhannon River is consistently one of the prettiest rivers I have seen.

I think there are several farms in Mason County. Used to be a lot of farms in Putnam but they are all getting bought up for housing development and to buy the rare farm for sale now will cost an arm and leg.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:12 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
You need to check out the area along the western side of the state that borders the Ohio River, more specifically between Huntington and Point Pleasant. The road that connects the two is called Route 2. When you drive the road, at times you feel that you are in the midwest somewhere due to the massive fields of corn, soybeans and other typical garden fare. Last time I drove that way a couple of months ago, there were a few farms for sale. Plus, this would keep you pretty close to the second largest city in WV for convenience. Check out Google Earth and you can see the areas that I'm referring to. Something to consider.
Tim

Old 09-01-2008, 06:14 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Rad,

We're running parallel ideas! I had (have) the same intentions as you. I settled on Hinton, in Summers county. It's right off of I-64, between Beckley and Lewisburg (closer to Becley). The soil and water are very good, there are a lot of small farmers, and a really pleasant community. We also have a real nice farmers market in Hinton, as well as Beckley. Property is very inexpensive, and there is plenty of it for sale.

Like you, I'm a born-again farmer (I may trademark that...lol). I'm retiring from the military and moving my family out to a cleaner, healthier life. We have been amazed at how many people out there are into organic or natural farming. We all borrow each others equipment, and pitch in to help when a neighbor needs it. I think it's just what you're looking for. Send me a message if you'd like more info.

~Mark

Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
The valley in Moorefield to Petersburg is historically rich in agricultural activity and cattle farming. It was, for the longest time, the main cattle junction before the westward push.

Fertile ground, abundant moisture, buffeted by the mountains.. Nice area for 40 acres and a mule.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:14 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Having no previous experience as a farmer? I'm perplexed as why you are making the venture...
I will offer a guess...The majority of Pot Farms are in the southern part of the state...remote and not as arid as the EP, which is almost desert...look at Logan County...almost lawless down there...Mingo is a close second...have few police to worry about and if you dressed the same and used Skoal or Copenhagen, no one could tell. The other counties are digging out of it somewhat...and have you given any thought to Canada?...our largest Pot Farms are in Canada...

Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
If you're interested in Randolph County.... feel free to PM me and ask me any questions... I'm always happy to answer any questions and lived there my whole life... aside from college.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:28 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
GHO,its mathematical...Radcliff grad?...middle aged.....Farmer?

The sum of the equation is Pot..Bet you a dollar!

Radcliff Grads Here? It's like Rhodes Scholars...we only have about 25....if you include Heather Bresh, we still have 25...

Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 AM

240 posts, read 732,100 times
Check out Summers and Mercer Cos in the south. We have good soil, lots of rain and temperate weather. Mostly livestock farms and hay to feed them.

Here is a photo of a cow town taken yesterday. ;) Athens has lots of farmers and the biggest store is a feed store.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/redbrushdog/IMGP6295copy4.jpg (broken link)

DK, it could be about llamas instead of pot. Lots of Yuppies do llamas. I researched it once. I'm not a Yuppie but I found animals that spit on you when they're angry interesting.

As far as I can tell, the only thing you can do with llamas is sell them to other people who want lllamas. Kind of a MLM version of agriculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia