Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:56 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times

Advertisements

Al Capp was a guest on the Fairmont State campus in 1969. Gave a short lecture and opened the time up to questions and discussions. He may have been hosted by the Art Department. Wonderful dialect.
Overnight success with a lot of hard work and the Right Thing at the right time...Doubt if he would be as successful in our day...Has his comic strip carried on? Is it still in syndication?

About that Seneca Rocks area...there is never enough time to see it all. The Smoke Hole canyon, the fishing, the hiking trails, Sods....one of the wonders of this country and so completely accessable and usable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:16 AM

566 posts, read 1,579,240 times
I agree David, a day trip to the area is equivalent to driving past the bakery without stopping. You get just a whiff of fresh baked bread and then you're really hungry.

Al Capp would need... on second thought.. Does anyone really read the funnies anymore? Anyone, meaning the millions of people it would take to keep you in print.

Thanks to all for helping me with ideas. I feel Mrs. Yokum is my best chance for a closer shot of my subject.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:16 PM

672 posts, read 2,114,136 times
You could try the WV State Archives. I searched using their online search and only found a National Register for Historic Places that had the words Seneca Rocks spire in it. Usually there is a lot more available that you can look at at the archives ("stuff" they haven't indexed for the internet yet)

You could also try the National Archives. They have a few Seneca Rocks photos but I don't know what the spires look like so I don't know if the photos are what you want.

Last edited by Mary Ann789; 05-30-2009 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: added more information

Old 05-31-2009, 01:44 AM

404 posts, read 1,188,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
I agree David, a day trip to the area is equivalent to driving past the bakery without stopping. You get just a whiff of fresh baked bread and then you're really hungry.

Al Capp would need... on second thought.. Does anyone really read the funnies anymore? Anyone, meaning the millions of people it would take to keep you in print.

Thanks to all for helping me with ideas. I feel Mrs. Yokum is my best chance for a closer shot of my subject.
Enjoy your trip there! Don't let your quest for the photo of the past cloud the beauty of the present.

See if you can find a shot from the east of the rocks. Most of the pics you will find are taking from the west. If you go south of the rocks about 3 miles and drive east...can't remember the name of the road... there is a sign about a civil war battle. If you stop there, you can see a view of the rocks that look different than anything you'll see in pictures and postcards.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:42 AM

Thank you Mary, I found pics at the National Archives and am still sifting. The State Archives turns up nothing, it appears they only have about 20 pictures total.

Sharedspirit, you are right about the east angle, that's the direction I approached from back then.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 PM

Found this via Google search:

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 05-31-2009 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: editing

Old 05-31-2009, 07:22 PM

404 posts, read 1,188,252 times
Wow, can you imagine watching that fall? Thanks for sharing those pics!

The cabins at Yokums are very nice! The pool is indoors and within walking distance, but not very modern. It's indoors and the chlorine smell made us sick. We spent most of our water time in the creek anyway. It was really low while we were there.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:52 PM

58 posts, read 136,031 times
You might try ebay. I collect lots of WV memorabilia from there including postcards, and really old travel brochures. I will go thru my things and let you know if I have the picture that you are looking for (I think I have it on a postcard) and if I do I'll get back to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia