Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 12:55 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times

Advertisements

I like the drive out to Elkins from Northern VA. It reminds me of going into the past and to a time where life was more like Mayberry RFD. I can't get over how different the small towns in West Virginia in the mountains are from life here in Fairfax VA.

The first thing that hits me is how homogeneous everyone seems to be in West Virginia. I suspect many people are kin, but nearly everyone looks the same, talks the same and dresses the same. I think everyone goes to the same Barber too.

The second thing I notice is how relaxed, friendly and low key everyone seems. I bet no one is alone in West Virginia, everyone probably knows every-ones business just like in Mayberry.

How would I be accepted if I moved to small town in West Virginia to retire? Would I be treated the same as I have as a tourist or would I be an outsider until the day I died? Anyone move to small town WV from a big city and have a story to tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 03:08 PM

15 posts, read 76,386 times
I don't think you'd be an outsider, cause I doubt anybody would really know you were from the outside (or care), or at least that's how it is here. Beckley isn't really a little town, so I can't speak for the itty bitty towns.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:35 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Mayberry was a fictional town on T.V. in the early 1960's.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:08 PM

10 posts, read 31,674 times
eastern panhandle is a nice quiet part of wv yes its close to washington and baltimore, but you can still find peace and a relaxing atmosphere there. No you wouldnt be treated as an outsider. you would be family

Old 06-15-2007, 05:43 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
If you live in West Virginia, you are a West Virginian, no matter how long you have lived here or where you came from, you will be treated with respect

Old 06-23-2007, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,180 times
Default WV born and raised

My family is all from the northern va area, my father chose to move into west va when my older brother was born, we ended up in the eastern panhandle in beautiful pendleton county! We were always loved and accepted despite our...city roots. Life is very different in WV. Different is not bad...not negative in any way shape or form, and while our population is largely Caucasian, we are hardly homogeneous! We like fresh air and avoid spending our days sitting in traffic. I wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else in the world. I was safe and happy. The towns are quaint indeed, and for the record Mayberry is a REAL town (in North Carolina)! The small towns which make up our state do provide a step back in time, back to when people cared about each other and you were more than a bank account number to your banker and more than just a patient at the local clinic, you were someone. There are few places left in this country that provide the peace and quality of life that west Virginia offers.

If you are seeking a refuge from the d.c. rat race, come on out and experience what a fresh breeze can do for your day! Not to mention your heart! Take a break. ENJOY!

Guide to Pendleton County, West Virginia - Local Attractions, Lodging, Dining & Services

Guide to Pendleton County, West Virginia - Local Attractions, Lodging, Dining & Services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia