Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 PM

68 posts, read 187,870 times

Advertisements

Cyberbullying Bill Targets Comments Posted Under Screen Names

The Associated Press reports that "bloggers and others who post online under assumed names could soon face criminal charges in West Virginia," under legislation advancing to the Senate.
http://mywvhome.blogspot.com/2010/03/cyber-bullying-bill-target-comments.html

House Judiciary Chairman Tim Miley told fellow delegates that it does not encompass comments that merely criticize. He said the severity of harm would have to rise to a level justifying legal damages.

Delegate Daryl Cowles, R-Morgan, asked whether the bill would apply to someone who posts "using a screen name that hides one's identity."

"If the intent is to cause emotional harm to the person about whom you are referring, the answer is yes," replied Miley, D-Harrison. "If it's just making general comments or responses to various blogs or blog posts, I don't think it would be."
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/W/WV_XGR_CYBER_BULLYING_WVOL-?SITE=WVHUN&SECTION=news&TEMPLATE=hddefault&CTIME= 2010-03-01-12-36-22

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Status/Bills_history.cfm?input=4207&year=2010&sessiontype =RS&btype=bill

d) Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $500 or confined in jail for not more than six months, or both fined and confined. For a second offense, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $1,000 or confined in jail for not more than one year, or both fined and confined. For a third or subsequent offense, the person is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $5,000 or confined in a state correctional facility for not more than two years, or both fined and confined.

Granted, stalking is an issue, and I won't make light of attempting to address it. However, I would say address it, rather than creating this broad net which may do nothing but create criminals of circumstance, rather than its purported intent, to protect.

Additionally, there are pre-existing laws in this bill, making their inclusion not only redundant, e.g., fraud, impersonation, etc., but at a glance, the bill will probably bring about unnecessary litigation. For example, free speech.

intent to harass or abuse
-- who ultimately defines this?
obscene
emotional injury to another

Prurient?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prurient

ARTICLE 8. CRIMES AGAINST CHASTITY, MORALITY AND DECENCY.

Are we in the dark ages?

There are some types who resort to smears instead of arguing a position, and where I try to respect their right of an opinion, up to the point of libel, would they really want me to have this weaponry of law used against them if they err? They're going to jail. Regardless of whether I may (or may not) get my feelings hurt, very easily . . I could claim emotional injury, and their intent was to harass or abuse me, etc. Another example is the idiot who said all women are whores. Right to an opinion respected, but I noted, if they said that about someone close to me, I'd cut off their head and stake it on my lawn. Okay, now I'm going to jail. The point being, I'm not advocating anything this bill purports to protect people from, but if this law can potentially criminalize people just for being human -- then please, consider the ramifications of it more carefully.

Last edited by wv.artistry; 03-01-2010 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,240 times
No sir, I just don't like it.

There are some blogs doing good work for the public that could be shut down with this bill. What if an elected official suffers emotional distress inflicted by truth?

Are we rushing to be the first to censor the internet? It's probably coming anyway, from (you know where). I find myself avoiding key words these days.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Tim Miley is a very good lawyer, but does this mean we could not be critical of the Political dweebs who take the cash and run...well, they do not actually run in WV...they just forget that they got it.

This strikes of Soviet Russia, where the Proletariat were equal to God...

The Supremes will be the last word on this...looks like Truth and Honesty is on its way out...remember the definition of 'IS....

What I would like to see is a little computer survelience on our prison population...a lot of scams come out of our prisons and I wonder how those crooks get away with doing that...knew a guy, in prison, who scammed $25,000...got him another 15 years when the cops nailed him.
He is home...prison is his home and he needs to be there for all of our sakes...lol.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
The right to Anonymous speech goes back to Colonial days.

Wonder what Thomas Paine (whose Common Sense was simply authored "by an Englishman") would think of this.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Ben Franklin...alias Poor Richard and Richard Saunders...kept them off the stocks and pillories..

Snorpus: Who was the man who wrote under a womans name? ...Widow ???

And there were several women authors during that time period and a little later too...

Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post

Snorpus: Who was the man who wrote under a womans name? ...Widow ???

And there were several women authors during that time period and a little later too...
There have been numerous men who've written with a woman's name... especially romance novels, where conventional wisdom is the bodice-buster audience considers a woman author more authentic.

Mary Ann Evans is perhaps the most famous female to adopt a male nom de plume... her books were published as being written by George Eliot.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
We're a nation of sissies. Some one will immediately cry that their feeling have been hurt by a contrary comment. Only $$ will make them feel better. The only ones to benefit from this are lawyers and politicians (redundant, I know). Lawyers, because they'll get paid to press the cases to settlement, and politicians because they'll use it to squash those who oppose them. This is the first step in Governmental regulation/control of the internet and it's content. All the newspapers and major media outlets are under control, and putting out the propaganda... internet is next. Herr Goebbels must be smiling.
Papers, Comrade....?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 AM

68 posts, read 187,870 times
Thanks for the comments.

I'm not saying the problems this bill purports to be addressing shouldn't have laws, it's that the language of this law is so broad it can criminalize people who would not be considered criminals by most standards.

It should be thought through more carefully. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Fortunately at this time in history, free speech has strong backing with the USSC.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv.artistry View Post
Thanks for the comments.

I'm not saying the problems this bill purports to be addressing shouldn't have laws, it's that the language of this law is so broad it can criminalize people who would not be considered criminals by most standards.

It should be thought through more carefully. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
I agree. I read the bill (s) and the intent is spot on, but the semantics are screwy.

Hell, most of us could be 'cyber-bully's' depending on who's interpretation it is, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia