Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
jtj jtj started this thread

2 posts, read 31,777 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here commute from NYC to Mt. Kisco? I might take a job in Mt. Kisco, but I want to stay in the city. My boyfriend works in Harlem, and we thought about living halfway between the two, but it makes no sense for both of us to commute, especially when we both want to live in NYC.

I have been up there via Metro North, which is an easy commute, but I was thinking of buying a car because I may need to be there pretty early some days (the 1st train doesn't arrive until 7:03am).

For those who drive from NYC to Mt. Kisco:
How long is the drive there and back (rush and non-rush hours)? How much are the tolls?
Also, will I pay city taxes if I live here, but work up there?

Any info/advice would be helpful.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:29 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
Yes, you will pay NYC taxes because the tax is a resident income tax, not a tax at the source of income.

You can drive easily to Mount Kisco from the city, but it depends upon where you're starting. If, for example, you're on the west side, you would just need to follow the WSH/Henry Hudson Pwy through Riverdale where it turns into the Saw Mill Parkway. Now, the Saw Mill does go directly to Mount Kisco, but you can lose time at the lights in Yonkers during rush hour, so it can be faster to switch to the Cross County Parkway, and then get on the Sprain. Follow the Sprain to the Saw Mill, and then the Saw Mill to Mount Kisco. You could also take The Hutch from the Cross County Parkway to 684 to 172 to Mount Kisco, near Northern Westchester Hospital. Just watch your speed on the Cross County as it's a low speed limit (45 mph). At an early hour, you should not encounter horrible traffic around White Plains on this route.

The only toll you will pay is on the Henry Hudson Bridge at Riverdale, and it's $2.75/cash and $1.90/E-Z Pass, since there are no tolls on the Parkways, nor 684. You could avoid the toll on the HH Bridge, too, provided it's not rush hour traffic by taking the Deegan to the Cross County Parkway in Yonkers, but you'd need to take the East River Drive, and cross the Madison Avenue Bridge via Harlem to the Mott Haven area, before getting on the Deegan.

There is a toll on 87 when it becomes the NYS Thruway after Tuckahoe Road, right near Costco. It's $1.25/cash and $1.19/E-Z Pass. You would still need to make your way to the Saw Mill north if you followed 87 through Yonkers, as opposed to switching to the Sprain. You would make the transition to the Saw Mill in the Tarrytown area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,577,135 times
Driving would be a cake commute. I would say 40 minutes because you're driving against traffic.
You obviously want to get ezpass as it saves you money and time.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM
jtj jtj started this thread

2 posts, read 31,777 times
Thank you so much! Your replies are very helpful, and I'm glad to hear I'm not in for an awful commute.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj View Post
Thank you so much! Your replies are very helpful, and I'm glad to hear I'm not in for an awful commute.
Not a bad commute, overall, but the only thing to watch on the Saw Mill is flooding in heavy rains. It floods in Yonkers and Dobbs Ferry, and can flood right near the Cross County Parkway. In a heavy rain/flood warning period, I would avoid that stretch of the Saw Mill, and would recommend taking the Deegan/Thruway (87) to the Cross County Parkway.

City-Data FAQs

Old 04-14-2010, 06:19 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,035,349 times
Be aware also of winter weather. Winter weather that's only rain/sleet in the city frequently results in "significant accumulations north and west of the city" as they say on TV. In Westchester I-287 is considered a kind of north/south weather cut-off, and Mt Kisco qualifies as "north and west."

It's not at all uncommon to have rain in the city yet 6 inches or more snow up there. Or, 2 inches of snow in NYC and a foot of snow farther north. On those days leave your car at home regardless of how benign it seems in NYC.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 15,526 times
Where would you recommend living in nyc to take the train to mt kisco?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGYE View Post
Where would you recommend living in nyc to take the train to mt kisco?
Midtown East would be a good place to look in Manhattan for proximity to Grand Central. The lines do not branch until after 125th Street, so like GCT, the Hudson, Harlem, and New Haven Lines stop there. If you did not mind a subway ride and short walk, or bus ride, you could get to the 125th Street station relatively easily from the UWS. And, if you're close to Midtown West, you could take the shuttle from Times Square to Grand Central, to get the train, but the easiest in Manhattan will be on th east side.

Woodlawn in The Bronx would be another consideration as it's on the Harlem Line.

City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County