Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:23 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
That is absurd. Check the Peekskill police blotter and you will find that the crime is totally mild and petty--drug possession, domestic stuff, dwi's:

Peekskill Daily

Peekskill is a small city and has urban grit, which is why people like it. Perhaps you should take a visit and see what Peekskill is like these days.

Er.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me, like one page earlier in this thread
As a Long Islander (Suffolk) now living in Westchester, I can say that based on cities you've listed and I've ctually been to, that (southwest) Yonkers and Peekskill, are pretty damned run down, with a stabbing or shooting, what, every other day?
I even left my typo mutilating the word "actually" in to keep it authentic.

I have been there, SNL crapped on it (do you huddle in an abandoned Shonies ) for a valid reason and Peekskill looks like any number of dead Northern cities. Trust me, there's a reason Indian Point is right nearby.

A euphemism like "urban grit" woefully fails in hiding the poverty and desperation of these places.

And do you really think dwi's, domestic violence, and possession of drugs (i.e. crack in Peekskill) are "totally mild and petty"? I dont think the guy who's kid got ran over by a drunk driver or the woman with the fractured skull because she pissed of her husband one too many times would call them "totally mild and petty".

No wonder you think a dump like Peekskill is fine and dandy; you really should take your head down from the clouds and look around it sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Er.....

Peekskill looks like any number of dead Northern cities. Trust me, there's a reason Indian Point is right nearby.

A euphemism like "urban grit" woefully fails in hiding the poverty and desperation of these places.

And do you really think dwi's, domestic violence, and possession of drugs (i.e. crack in Peekskill) are "totally mild and petty"? I dont think the guy who's kid got ran over by a drunk driver or the woman with the fractured skull because she pissed of her husband one too many times would call them "totally mild and petty".

No wonder you think a dump like Peekskill is fine and dandy; you really should take your head down from the clouds and look around it sometimes.

I see you're much more honest about these towns. What about Mount Vernon and Port Chester? Does Westchester have the problems with illegals and Day Laborers that LI has?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:18 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
Quote:
Er.....

I have been there, SNL crapped on it (do you huddle in an abandoned Shonies ) for a valid reason and Peekskill looks like any number of dead Northern cities. Trust me, there's a reason Indian Point is right nearby.

So, you're saying that because Peekskill has some poverty and semi-regular petty crime it is "dead" and a "dump" and full of "desperation"? Is that really what you're saying? I suppose you'd say the same about Brooklyn? And Manhattan? And any other urban place in the universe, for that matter.

Far from being "dead," Peekskill is without question one of the most vibrant places in Westchester. It has a very active population of artists, a gallery scene, a live music scene, a contemporary art museum, a great bookstore, a performing arts center, and a thriving and growing number of excellent restaurants and coffee houses. The downtown and waterfront are both undergoing revitalization, even during this great recession, and the city's wonderful stock of Victorian houses continues to be restored and renovated. Is that your idea of a dead city??

I not only love going to Peekskill regularly, but I love taking my kid there just about every weekend. It has the best parks around and the best coffee house in Westchester. And it has urban grit. I don't want my son to grow up into a narrow-minded, dim-witted, prejudiced suburbanite who freaks out at the sight of dark skin and old buildings.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:03 AM

86 posts, read 277,331 times
Quote:
Er.....

This is absurd.
Paris has areas with dwi's, domestic violence and possession of drugs and it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. To make such mass assumptions - that because a city or town has crime it is without merit seems a bit simple-minded.

Peekskill is rich in character - and yes suffers from some areas that experience crime. As many, many places in our world do. If you don't like it, don't go. Looks to me you spent a morning looking at crime blotters and posted your findings in an attempt to smear an entire town based on only anecdotal evidence. Then, you have the gall to tell others to look down from the clouds.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I see you're much more honest about these towns. What about Mount Vernon and Port Chester? Does Westchester have the problems with illegals and Day Laborers that LI has?
do you realize how xenophobic this sounds?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Peekskill is at a stage in its rebirth where there are still growing pains. Look at Piermont, across the Hudson, or even Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow, for successful transformations of prior industrial-based economies into vibrant communities. They had issues with crime, and had large contingents of blue-collar/lower middle class residents, where the communities looked a bit more dated than their neighbors, which happen to be expensive communities.

Port Chester is similar in that regard, as it was never known for being Westchester's answer to the South Bronx, but because the school district is not a top performer, many families avoid it, which reinforces the perception that it's a "bad" area. Remember that Port Chester is a village in the Town of Rye, and borders Greenwich and Rye. If it does not have houses in seven and eight digit price categories, it will tend to look a little more modest, in comparison. Recent redevelopment initiatives in Port Chester are adding shopping, dining, and new homes to the community. And, why would people want to buy a new home in a dangerous/dying community?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy42 View Post
If he had said "Problems with Mexicans" it would sound like xenophobia. 'Illegals' and 'Day Laborers', on the other hand can be a source of legitimate problems regardless of their origins or ethnicity.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
And, this is not an immigration-related thread, so please, let's save those issues for their proper forum. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy42 View Post

Yes I do. This is the reason I started this thread to understand the reasons why this is acceptable on the Long Island Forum and not on the Westchester Forum. BTW, a few of you have given me some really great answers.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If he had said "Problems with Mexicans" it would sound like xenophobia. 'Illegals' and 'Day Laborers', on the other hand can be a source of legitimate problems regardless of their origins or ethnicity.
Actually, saying "problems with mexicans" would/could be seen as racism, not xenophobia. Xenophobia is dislike or fear of foreigners regardless of race.

sorry bmwguy...I know you wanted to stop this digression off the original topic. Just wanted to make the semantic point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County