Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM

67 posts, read 166,869 times

Advertisements

kletter1mann, I agree with your assessment. Spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 06:17 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Anyone want to address the blue collar vs. white collar aspect?
kletter1mann did with an allegory.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:19 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Deer, foxes, chipmunks and coyotes.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:43 PM

232 posts, read 496,298 times
Besides the landscape, what differs? Is northern more white collar? Estates, Beamers, and private school type area?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:29 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
Besides the landscape, what differs? Is northern more white collar? Estates, Beamers, and private school type area?
No. There's all that stuff downcounty as well. If anything there are more bimmers downcounty, disproportionate driven by the likes of the guy pictured. Such guys, and their ethos, are pervasive downcounty (and again, on LI, NJ, SI).

More information on the culture can be found here: Get Off Our Island. Yet this sociopathology is essentially absent farther north. I-287 forms a largely impervious barrier. A few do manage to get onto I-684 but they don't venture off, possibly because the population density is too low to provide an audience (being seen is oxygen for these guys).

Still don't get it? It's not a blue collar <--> white collar divide. After all, "The Situation" is a knowledge worker, maybe even a performance artist, busily occupying himself in the media. It's a question of education, culture, what's important in life and the strength of people's need to conspicuously position themselves in the social strata. Get in your car and drive around.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:53 AM

86 posts, read 388,733 times
as it regards to the people:
Northern Westchester - Lower maintenance individuals
Southern Westchester - Higher maintenance individuals

If you prefer to be freshly manicured, made up, wear high heels, and the thought of a mouse or spider gives you nightmares that's generally South, (think Meredith Viera)
If you have garden hands, like the natural look, wear Hunter Boots, and have no problem with a mouse or spider, that's generally North (think Martha Stewart)

and PS I completely agree with Kletter's generalization about traffic, which is about intense vs laid back. Of course it is a generalization, but we can't analyze every individual now, can we?

And I think white collar vs blue collar is actually more an east - west line. You will find much less blue collar in all the towns east of 684..north or south, with the absolute least being the northeast towns

Old 11-14-2011, 09:46 AM

414 posts, read 303,144 times
I think I can shed some light on this, as I grew up in Northern Westchester, and currently live in Southern.
First and foremost, the deciding issue for most people is going to be the commute. Without exception, you will have a long commute from No. West. This is why I live in southern west., my train ride is less then 30 min. In fact, my commute is no longer then it was when I lived in the city. If you do not work in the city, then this is of no concern.
I personally hope to be able to work from White Plains, and then move north.
I personally like Northern better, but I am very biased. You get MUCH more land and privacy, with lower taxes. You also get a small town feel, where people are very friendly. I think that is very rare in the NYC metro area. The landscape is beautiful, with hills, forests and reservoirs. I also think there is a slightly different attitude towards wealth, with more of an old money mindset. People tend to be less flashy, and more low key. This is in no way to say that So. Westchester has the "new money" mentality of LI/SI/NJ (aka, the axis of evil), just that it is a little more status conscious and flashy.
Some criticisms that people have of No West is that you have to drive far for everything, which is totally true. MUCH less choice in stores and especially places to eat. Where I live now, I can choose an inexhaustible range of dining options with a 10 minute drive.
So it is a matter of convince and preference. If a short commute is important to you (like it is to me), then the North is not for you. If convenience and a large range of dining options is important, again, North is not for you. If you value open space and a freindly small town feel, you will love the North.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
Some criticisms that people have of No West is that you have to drive far for everything, which is totally true. MUCH less choice in stores and especially places to eat. Where I live now, I can choose an inexhaustible range of dining options with a 10 minute drive.
I'd add an important distinction here. Up north everything is indeed FARTHER, but that doesn't always equate with LONGER drive times. Average speeds are much faster and lights can be very far apart.

I'm about a ten minute drive from both Mt Kisco or New Canaan and all the stuff that's there. New Canaan is about 5 miles, yet just 4 stop signs. In fact, the drive to New Canaan, with all it's uberpreppy over-the-topness, is a source of amusement and smiles. Mt K is 7 miles but just 4 lights away, roughly 12 minutes. The drive of 2 miles from New Rochelle to Pelham takes me at least as long and doesn't make me smile much.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:15 PM

223 posts, read 828,446 times
Yes that is very true! There is little if no traffic in Northern Westchester. You usually know exactly how long it will take to get somewhere.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM

414 posts, read 303,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenimore View Post
Yes that is very true! There is little if no traffic in Northern Westchester. You usually know exactly how long it will take to get somewhere.
there is NO traffic in No. west true, but i really haven't had any traffic in the South. Just stay away from the 287/hutch merge at rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County