Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,092 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move out of Park Slope, Brooklyn this summer and buy a house. My daughter has ASD so we are very sensitive to the school district. We are looking for the best district to offer integrated kindergarten with speech and OT, plus potentially an ABA SEIT after school (what we have in Brooklyn now).

Please recommend towns in Westchseter. We have actually started looking at houses and so far we like: Pelham, Larchmont, Mamaroneck and Rye. We think Ardsley might be too long of a commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 04:01 PM

258 posts, read 908,065 times
Eastchester and Bronxville both have very good programs for ASD kids. I think Mamroneck would also be fine. I wouldn't move to Scarsdale.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:13 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
Mamaroneck is good and does have integrated programs, but they do have self-contained classes as well (unlike some districts that have full inclusion), so depending on your son's abilities he would not be guaranteed inclusion. We had to push back against the idea of a self-contained class and my son only has ADHD.

I'd be shocked if you got an after-school SEIT through the district...ours or any of the others. I haven't heard of that happening after early intervention from my friends. Seriously if you have that I'd stay put!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 PM

39 posts, read 97,487 times
Eastchester and Rye Neck public schools both provide the programs you seek. I don't know why someone would say 'not Scarsdale' I have children in that district that are getting support!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
Eastchester might work, but beware of Rye Neck for special needs. They are so small that if your child doesn't fit their very narrow category of offerings, they will send them out of district (which might be good or bad depending since you have some say in where vs. being stuck in one).

They also were not forthcoming at all when I quizzed them about their services when we had an offer on a house there. I found it very offputting - the person I was speaking to even had the nerve to say "well, there is no point in saying that we have an integrated K because it's subject to being cut at any time." I was floored and ran. In the end we didn't end up in one anyway, but if your child is special needs you really want to stick to the larger districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County