Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM

15 posts, read 33,625 times

Advertisements

is there a big difference between south Salem, katonah (not in the village) and pound ridge? Looking at houses in the area. have young kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM

17 posts, read 64,600 times
I'm presuming all those places share the Katonah-Lewisboro school system.

I would look at your commute options and distance to middle school and high school for down the line. The kids sports program are all integrated. You will be traveling all over town for games and practices. Bear that in mind when making your selection.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp1414 View Post
I'm presuming all those places share the Katonah-Lewisboro school system.
Not so. Pound Ridge is overwhelmingly in Bedford Central district / Fox Lane HS.

Other than that they're very similar. A few generalities:
Pound Ridge: Probably most laid back, artier.
S Salem: Horsiest. Really no downtown at all, farthest from anything
Katonah: Nice downtown, otherwise just another section of Bedford.

If you like the spread out quality of these towns you can't go wrong.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:14 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Another thought - what's your commute, if any? Katonah is much more heavily commuter-oriented that PR or SS cause it's on a train line.

And still another: I can't speak for SS, but Pound Ridge has lots of non-commuters and supposedly 1/3 of the houses are weekend houses (this statistic comes up again and again, I don't know where it comes from). Whatever it is, it's substantial. My impression is that this isn't the case in the other towns. I'm not sure what the impact of that is except less day-to-day congestion and occasional entertainment value when you see obvious NYC weekenders in the store or marveling at the ruralness of it all.

Last weekend I was greatly amused by a 30-something, BK emo-hipster couple in the market carrying on about finding the organic, no chemicals, homemade blah blah blah stuff that they required. They found what they were looking for - just like all the rest of us - but it was quite a show cause they were so loud and self-involved about it. It was an obvious show to make sure everybody in the store knew how cool they were yet without any awareness that everybody else in the place is buying the same stuff for the same reasons. All the rest of us were rolling our eyes at each other. I'm not sure if that happens in Katonah. And I'm not sure what it means.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:24 AM

15 posts, read 33,625 times
this was really helpful thanks. We meant to just use it for PT but we really like it up there so who knows.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,478 times
Pt ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County