Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,462,653 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any leads on where to get decent affordable health insurance (without an income requirement as we would fail it)? Hubby is breaking out on his own and I'm shocked at the rates I'm seeing...$450/mo for hospitalization only and up to $2K a month for a healthy and young family of 5???

I'm starting to understand why a bunch of hippies are camping on Wall Street after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM

293 posts, read 887,204 times
Try freelancers union. I don't think they have an income restriction.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 PM

48 posts, read 101,081 times
So difficult to find - trust me - I was pregnant when my husband and I went out on our own. Try getting insurance when your pregnant - hah! Anyways, finally settled on joining the Business Council of Westchester and through membership was able to get Oxford - family of four at $1,425 per month. Just click on their website and select Business Council Benefits Groups. Nothing is cheap but there are options. All of the plans and rates are right there. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:56 PM

100 posts, read 428,406 times
New York is awful if you are young and healthy for insurance, I paid $550 (not including dental or vision) a month on COBRA as a young, single male with zero health problems. It was full coverage, but still it hurt looking online at quotes for other states offering similar service for ~$150 a month.

For self-employed people, sometimes there are trade union type organizations that offer insurance that may be cheaper than just buying direct, but I'm not well versed in this stuff, so it's just a thought.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:11 PM

395 posts, read 1,619,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Does anyone have any leads on where to get decent affordable health insurance (without an income requirement as we would fail it)? Hubby is breaking out on his own and I'm shocked at the rates I'm seeing...$450/mo for hospitalization only and up to $2K a month for a healthy and young family of 5???

I'm starting to understand why a bunch of hippies are camping on Wall Street after all.
Holy crap! I guess I should stop complaining about the $70 that gets taken out of each paycheck for my employer plan.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:51 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,258,894 times
Quote:

Health Insurance rates were already high but its gotten even higher with Obamacare. So now we have to pay more in health Insurance so the destitutes can have healthcare.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:53 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,579,261 times
Quote:

That's what it costs in NY. If self employed should be able to write off but I am not an accountant.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,572,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Health Insurance rates were already high but its gotten even higher with Obamacare. So now we have to pay more in health Insurance so the destitutes can have healthcare.
NY rates are extremely high to the way the system is set up in NYS, regardless of "Obamacare". Thats an Albany issue.

But since you mention it, isn't it nice he actually cares.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_to_nj View Post
Holy crap! I guess I should stop complaining about the $70 that gets taken out of each paycheck for my employer plan.
Yes, and get set for the shock of it going up much, much more or being dropped altogether.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
If self employed should be able to write off but I am not an accountant.
What good is a write-off if health insurance takes your entire income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County