Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,434 times

Advertisements

hey folks have some friends that live in mt. kisco and was looking to relocate soon..... i am a bowhunter and have heard the horror stories of the tick problem.......(ticks that carry lyme disease).... is this this just hype or is it that bad....... i have also heard that trying to land a spot actually hunt is a huge problem in itself...... this true..... ?? i would like to get anaccurate assessment from the people that actually live there..both pro hunting ans well as anti hunting ......thank you for your time......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:48 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,041,486 times
Lyme disease and ticks are indeed a problem, though it's old news up here and few people get very excited about it these days. What's worse, the deer have completely stripped the forest understory impacting birds, amphibians and numerous other small creatures and virtually destroying all the native ground covers and flowers. They have truly become an environmental menace.

Recognizing this, Pound Ridge organizes an annual bow hunting deer culling program. Hunting is allowed by permit in town parkland (of which there is a lot) and on private land with owners permission. You need a permit. Private parties with enough space also register with the town so hunters can contact them. Here's a link: Town of Pound Ridge, NY 10576 (http://www.townofpoundridge.com/subpageP.cfm?subPageID=80 - broken link)

The program has run for a couple years and seems to be working. As a result the county is evaluating hunting in the Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. We hate the deer. I personally encourage you to take as many as you can.
(http://www.townofpoundridge.com/subpageP.cfm?subPageID=80 - broken link)

Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,958,858 times
Kletterman - you may hate the deer, but please, don't lump everyone into that 'we.' My friends and I like the deer and it was their land first.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,041,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Kletterman - you may hate the deer, but please, don't lump everyone into that 'we.' My friends and I like the deer and it was their land first.
I don't hate deer, I hate too many deer. And much of northern Westchester has way WAY too many, far more than in colonial or even precolonial times according to biologists. I'm not sure exactly where you live, but in Pound Ridge ALL the unstory has been completely stripped up to about 5" high and there are no saplings under about 15 years old. The same is true in the Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, Westchester's largest park. All the other creatures that live or breed in the understory have a right to exist too, and they're being deprived of it by the excessive deer population. There's no denying that the deer population is way out of whack.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:16 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,562,450 times
No time to pass the buck on deer herds | LoHud.com | The Journal News

Most of us love watching deer. We have them where we live. The problem is the over population of deer. If there is not enough food in the winter, they starve. You have to look at how many deer occupy each square mile. Whether they are here first does not matter. Populated areas cause problems for drivers. We have hit 2 deers already and totalled one car. Another issue is people that feed the deer. If you stop feeding them, they starve. Feeding deer means feeding bears and the problems escalate. Many communities are getting sharpshooters in a night to take care of the population. Of course there is a lot of controversy about this.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:56 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,343,979 times
You are welcome to sit in my backyard here in lower Westchester County and take as many as you possibly can. The heck with this "they were here first" attitude. So were cockroaches.

I pulled off Exit 5 on the Cross County Parkway last October and stared in disbelief as a large buck with a full rack trotted down the road. The damn things are everywhere. Lyme disease is a menace and so are the deer at night. We have become much too passive in our attitudes towards these animals.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
hats off bow hunting is skilled hunting.
i am doing well to hit with a recurve accurately on the range.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:21 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,562,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
You are welcome to sit in my backyard here in lower Westchester County and take as many as you possibly can. The heck with this "they were here first" attitude. So were cockroaches.

I pulled off Exit 5 on the Cross County Parkway last October and stared in disbelief as a large buck with a full rack trotted down the road. The damn things are everywhere. Lyme disease is a menace and so are the deer at night. We have become much too passive in our attitudes towards these animals.

You are right on the money. Aside from all the things I mentioned, it is something to worry about when you have children just trying to play in the grass and the woods, when I was a kid. Try driving down the Saw Mill on a sultry evening near Pleasantville. Very dangerous.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:20 AM

103 posts, read 572,486 times
Honestly, when my husband and I first moved to Tarrytown 4 years ago I thought all the deer in our backyard were cute.
Then, they began eating everything in our yard. I still thought they were cute and just tried to plant deer-resistant plants.
Then, we met our neighbor whose husband's in a wheelchair because of Lyme disease. I thought his case was just an freak incident. We have since met many people whose lives are irreparaby damaged because of Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses. Not to mention all the dead deer we see on the road because of car accidents.... We are considering moving back to the city before we have kids so that we don't have to deal with the constant threat. And yes, I know that deer are not the only ones who carry ticks... Something needs to be done. Perhaps set up feeding stations with food laced with contraceptives?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:33 PM

26 posts, read 228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorainTarrytown View Post
Perhaps set up feeding stations with food laced with contraceptives?
I'd set one up in my backyard, which is like Route 9 for a substantial deer population.

Where can you buy that kind of food?

Or is that something only government can do?

Dave, who when he sees them rings a cow bell which makes them run like deer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County