Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 AM

166 posts, read 370,326 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I work from home so we are a one car family. The other day, I was in the city for very early morning meeting and by the time I came home it was about 11.00am. At Scarsdale train station, I noticed few 2-wheelers parked, not Harley-Davidsons but small Vespas. I doubt, they would run faster than 50-60mph.

I have never seen anybody riding such moped/scooter/Vespa (again, I work from home) but I found the idea intriguing, that someone can use such Vespa for short errands. I ALWAYS wanted to own a Vespa and I would seriously like to consider buying one. I would like to know how other drivers perceive presence of Vespa on the road.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM

157 posts, read 347,577 times
One of my neighbors rides one. She keeps it parked outside the building and it looks like she uses it to run errands around town. Just like riding any two-wheeled vehicle in New York, I worry about other people not seeing me, tailgating me, hitting me, etc. I'll never own a two-wheeled vehicle as long as I live in New York. It's not a matter of if you get into an accident, it's a matter of when you get into your first accident. My mother, who is from Italy, used to ride them all the time back home. It's part of the culture over there, though. I think they're a great idea, they're practical, easy to park, easy to maneuver, efficient, easy to maintain/service yourself, but I just fear for my life too much in this overly congested area.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
That Vespa looks like a nice bike any adult can use to ride into town.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
In a small town/local road enviroment they are fine because they can maintain the posted speed. Once you start with divided roads or multi-lane roads problems occur with them backing up traffic. Plus like bike riders not every user follows the rules of the road. As the other posted stated they are quite common in Italy and most Mediteranian countries.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM

62 posts, read 213,806 times
I rode them in the city for a number of years before moving up to Rockland last year. The smaller Vespas and other scooters (150cc or so) generally top out at around 60mph; the larger ones (250-300cc) can hit 70-80mph.

I haven't done much riding since moving to the suburbs -- I ride to the train station every weekday (as long as there isn't ice on the ground) but have only done a few trips aside from that. While I haven't had any problems, I will say (and this may seem counterintuitive) that I felt more comfortable riding in the city. Despite the city's reputation for chaotic traffic, I found that the mainly one-way streets, few driveways, and dense traffic made for a more secure-feeling environment. One of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents is automobiles making left-hand turns in the path of an oncoming cycle, and that scenario is pretty rare in the city given its typical traffic patterns. Riding in the suburbs so far I find myself feeling much more nervous about other drivers not noticing me.

That could just be perception though; not necessarily reality. After 10,000 mostly trouble-free city miles I'd gotten pretty comfortable, and maybe that'll happen up here too in time. And I definitely plan to keep riding here; it's a great way to get around. I've heard reports from riders in other parts of the country that drivers can resent small scooters on the road and act dangerously aggressive around them, but I haven't found that to be the case in the riding I've done around Rockland and Westchester.

If you enjoy riding they're good for more than short errands too. I've ridden 150cc bikes to Philadelphia a number of times, and to DC and the Catskills.

Just FYI in New York you need a motorcycle license for any scooter with a top speed over 30mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County