Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 AM

90 posts, read 145,625 times

Advertisements

A big thank you to everyone who could contribute to this thread.

We're a small family with a four year old kid and both parents working. My husband in Briarcliff Manor, and I in Midtown Manhattan.
We'd love to buy our own place soon, and we'll need a great school district.

But here is a challenge: we are keen on living in a very "walkable" area with easy access to a train to Manhattan and warm, vibrant community. We are in early 30's so we love being around other young families and singles of artistic/creative types. We also lived our whole lives in cities, so a transition to a nice but very quiet village where can't get around without a car would be a huge challenge. Our budget is modest, too, at around $450K.

So we have this idea of buying a coop instead of a house, in Mamaroneck, Rye, or Larchmont. We like Bronxville and Eastchester's Garth Rd coops and neighbourhoods too, but most of them dont allow pets (and we have 2 small dogs).

I read a lot of great feedback on Mamaroneck and Rye communities and it seems these are pretty close to what we're looking for.
But a question is -- are there many families with kids living in coops? Would our kid considered an "outlier" in his school if he lives in an apartment and not in a house?

Thank you so much for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM

293 posts, read 886,229 times
I can't speak to Rye.

In Larchmont and Mamaroneck, yes, your children would be in the minority. Probably less so in Mamaroneck - there seem to be more apartment complexes there, both rentals and owner occupied co-ops. My experience in Larchmont so far is that the majority of families living in apartments move before their kids hit elementary school - usually because they had more than one child and they need more space. That said, in my building there are two families with school aged kids.

Are you targeting 3 bedroom apartments? if so, you'll find that the inventory is fairly small, at least in Larchmont. I think that's one of the main reason why you don't see many families with older kids in apartments here. In Bronxville, there are many more 3-4 bedroom apartments (but the prices are usually way above 450K...)

Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYfamily77 View Post
...We also lived our whole lives in cities, so a transition to a nice but very quiet village where can't get around without a car would be a huge challenge. ....
It's all personal of course and a question of what is important to you and what feels right. My wife and I were in the same situation. We both grew up in brownstone Brooklyn (5 blocks away from each other, but didn't meet until our 20's). When we decided to move to the burbs in our mid 30's (with a kid) we initially had the same assumption as you and started our search in southern Westchester, Maplewood, and Montclair. But after spending lots of time in those places we realized that even though they were walkable they did not give us what we really cared about and what made the city vital and vibrant for us. So we expanded our search to far flung places and, much to our surprise, they felt like a much better fit! We realized that if we were going to give up what we loved about the city we wanted to get things that the city cannot offer--natural beauty, land, space, and privacy, hiking, etc, as well as lovely little towns to hang out in when we wanted to. We ended up with a 1700's farmhouse on 4 acres on a lovely quiet road that we love to take long walks on, with loads of wonderful nature preserves and hiking, and close to more than enough towns. And with plenty of creative professionals around!

My point simply being that you should take the time to explore a variety of places and see what actually feels right. You might end up right where you started, but you might surprise yourselves.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:45 PM

90 posts, read 145,625 times
thanks a lot for very informative and thought-provoking responses, ehmom and dma1250.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
Don't know if you are still looking, but Rye has a great coop building with many families called the Blind Brook Lodge. I lived there 7 years with my 2 kids and are only now just moving out because our 2 BR place is just too small. But the location could not be better in terms of convenience via foot to many great places -- you have the Art Center directly across the street for art, music and dance classes, the Rye Nature Center across the other side of the building for hiking and nature programs, and the Recreation Center also 5 mins on foot. All have great summer camps and programs. We regularly walk to the center of town for dinner, coffee, local homemade ice cream, some shopping. Its a 10 min walk at a relaxed pace. As mentioned there are quite a few families in the building since the Elementary, Middle and High school are all walking distance. There are both 2 BR and 3 BR units, although the 2BR are more in your price range. It is a relaxed and friendly coop, and children do not feel out of place. Unfortunately though, dogs are not allowed. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2013, 03:26 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,243 times
Just stay in NYC. Easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County