Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM

108 posts, read 209,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Well here's the latest gossip from around the web:

1. Miley Cyrus was apparently offensive at the VMA's.
2. Stocks slump amongst Syria Fears.
3. Wal Mart is to offer health insurance benefits to same sex couples and domestic partners in 2014.
4. 54% of Americans are against Obamacare.
5. A Missouri banker was busted for bailout fraud, apparently he used 381,000 dollars to purchase a water front condo in Ft. Meyers Florida.

This is why I don't watch the news anymore. Garbage news.

Oldtimers tell me that back in the 50s and 60s there were groups that made sure stuff like this didn't make the news. They considered it inane and irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 AM

395 posts, read 1,618,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusOfRome View Post
But even current event stuff could be discussed - but it isn't. I feel like I never know what's going on in the county I live in. News 12 and the Patch are terrible. It would be nice to hear about some of the hot topics and events going on in Westchester from other residents on here. Just trying to get everyone motivated, that's all.
This is what Facebook Groups are for. Check out Chappaqua Moms and you will get more info than you ever need about what's happening in and around Chap.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_to_nj View Post
This is what Facebook Groups are for. Check out Chappaqua Moms and you will get more info than you ever need about what's happening in and around Chap.
Chappaqua moms?

I don't want to read about episodes from jersey housewives and what clothing- styles are currently in season. I want to hear news of what is being built in the WC area, reports on political candidates, and arachaelogical historical finds within the county. Every other forum does this exceot for the Westchester forum. I want to keep up on current events where I live and keep myself enlightened.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:20 PM

395 posts, read 1,618,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusOfRome View Post
Chappaqua moms?

I don't want to read about episodes from jersey housewives and what clothing- styles are currently in season. I want to hear news of what is being built in the WC area, reports on political candidates, and arachaelogical historical finds within the county. Every other forum does this exceot for the Westchester forum. I want to keep up on current events where I live and keep myself enlightened.
LOL. Condescending much? Local politics and zoning/building are actually frequent (and heated) discussion topics, but as far as archeological finds... good luck. Maybe the Museum of Natural History has a blog page?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_to_nj View Post
LOL. Condescending much? Local politics and zoning/building are actually frequent (and heated) discussion topics, but as far as archeological finds... good luck. Maybe the Museum of Natural History has a blog page?

Thank you for understanding my sense of humor

Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 PM

369 posts, read 633,577 times
I pretty much get all my Westchester news from Westchester Magazine. It isn't amazing or Pulitzer Prize-worthy, but it's not bad. And our town newspaper is also pretty good.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 PM

151 posts, read 404,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
I pretty much get all my Westchester news from Westchester Magazine. It isn't amazing or Pulitzer Prize-worthy, but it's not bad. And our town newspaper is also pretty good.

I have to admit, that IS a very good magazine; and I generally don't read magazines (50% advertisements).

Old 06-06-2014, 12:48 AM

927 posts, read 586,516 times
Unlike down in *Imitates Yankee accent* (New York city) people in Westchester have a thing called *jobs* where they do something for somebody or a bunch of somebodies and get payed money in return and we are in a period where young families are just starting out. The computer geeks of the late 90s are now moved on and I hope a new generation of computer geeks take over unless sadly phones do which you can't do as much.

A lot of people in New York City live on welfare or one step above so they have the time to chit chat a lot out of tax payers expense and it's only going to get worse as many people give up looking for work which is why the Government says unemployment benefits are down because the real truth is people have given up looking and just live in shelters or tough it out if they don't want to obey the simple common sense rules of the shelter.

To receive unemployment benefits is different then Welfare as you have to be actively seeking a job.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:14 PM

22 posts, read 40,513 times
Maybe because everyone is oriented toward their own little town and not the county as a whole. I often hear about events after the fact because there are few sources of countywide information. I don't want to have to read every edition of Patch or Daily Voice or every village newspaper.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:22 PM

22 posts, read 40,513 times
You can try WVOX 1460 AM for local issues commentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County