Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 13,178 times

Advertisements

Short version: How long will it take to get from White Plains to JFK, leaving at 4:30pm on a Friday?

Long version:
My girlfriend and I have an (international) flight out of JFK leaving at 8:15pm on Friday. We have to check bags, unfortunately.

She works in White Plains - Google Maps says that it should take 46 minutes (34 miles) from her office, going over the Whitestone Bridge.

She can't leave work earlier than 4:30pm, which doesn't give her enough time to take public transportation (Metro North to Grand Central, then Penn Station to JFK).

I work in Manhattan and can leave whenever, so the current plan is for me to leave around 3pm, rent a car, pick her up at 4:30, and drive to JFK. We'll have to return the car and take the AirTrain to our Terminal. (In case you're wondering, this costs about 1/3 of the price of a taxi.)

Is this feasible? How long should we expect the trip to JFK to take? Is giving ourselves 1.5 hours enough time? I've never driven this route before (actually I've never even driven to the airport before) and have no idea what to expect in terms of traffic, both in Westchester and in Queens. For anyone familiar, are there any roads to take or avoid at this time?

Alternatively, is there some other option for her to get there that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 01:34 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,381 times
Thanks to another forum member, I learned of ShuttleMe - Airport Transportation between Westchester,NY and JFK/LGA as an alternative to/from airport and Westchester. They will inform you how much time it takes at that time of the day.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks! I wasn't able to find a shuttle option that would go door-to-door (others picked up at hotels in Westchester).

Unfortunately, their times don't seem to be accurate - they say it will take 2.5 hours to get there, no matter what time of day it is (even leaving at 2:30am). So I don't think there's much information that I can get from that...

Old 03-04-2014, 01:47 PM

192 posts, read 375,622 times
That commute is going to suck! Going JFK is a pain as is, but now you're doing it during rush hour, on a Friday? Man, that's going to be rough. You may however luck out hit the roads with no traffic.

Best of luck!

Old 03-04-2014, 01:49 PM

Haha, tell me about it. I don't know if we'll "luck out", but do you have any idea what worst case scenario might be? Is this something that could take 2.5 or 3 hours instead of the normal 45 min? Or would "really bad" traffic means it takes double (i.e. 1.5 hours)?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:22 PM

223 posts, read 828,134 times
I'd say two hours. You may be able to cut off some time if you don't get on the Van WyckGo Clearview Expressway over Throgs Neck to GCP East to Cross Island South to Belt West to JFK. Avoid the Van Wyck at all costs.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:48 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv1975cd View Post
Thanks! I wasn't able to find a shuttle option that would go door-to-door (others picked up at hotels in Westchester).

Unfortunately, their times don't seem to be accurate - they say it will take 2.5 hours to get there, no matter what time of day it is (even leaving at 2:30am). So I don't think there's much information that I can get from that...
I suggest calling ShuttleMe and asking them what they estimate.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 AM

192 posts, read 375,622 times
You're looking at a good 1.5 to 2 hours.

Let us know how you make out at the end.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:37 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv1975cd View Post
Short version: How long will it take to get from White Plains to JFK, leaving at 4:30pm on a Friday?

Long version:
My girlfriend and I have an (international) flight out of JFK leaving at 8:15pm on Friday. We have to check bags, unfortunately.

She works in White Plains - Google Maps says that it should take 46 minutes (34 miles) from her office, going over the Whitestone Bridge.

She can't leave work earlier than 4:30pm, which doesn't give her enough time to take public transportation (Metro North to Grand Central, then Penn Station to JFK).

I work in Manhattan and can leave whenever, so the current plan is for me to leave around 3pm, rent a car, pick her up at 4:30, and drive to JFK. We'll have to return the car and take the AirTrain to our Terminal. (In case you're wondering, this costs about 1/3 of the price of a taxi.)

Is this feasible? How long should we expect the trip to JFK to take? Is giving ourselves 1.5 hours enough time? I've never driven this route before (actually I've never even driven to the airport before) and have no idea what to expect in terms of traffic, both in Westchester and in Queens. For anyone familiar, are there any roads to take or avoid at this time?

Alternatively, is there some other option for her to get there that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!
Up to 3 hours. 2 hours of which will be spent on the Van Wyck. No sh1t. Quite frequently it has taken me longer to get home to Westchester from JFK than it has to fly to JFK from FL or TX. Traffic both ways is a HORRORSHOW on Fridays.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:16 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
Forget the pick up a car, pick up your girl friend,return the car, get on Air Train, etc. You'll never make it. Traffic is just too bad and you have too many steps involved in it. .

Have your friend get a car service as soon as she leaves work and have it take her to JFK. You meet her there. Or you meet your girl friend at her job, you both take the car service and wind up at JFK, hopefully with enough time to spare. It's worth every penny of the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: