Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 02:32 PM

90 posts, read 145,738 times

Advertisements

So curious about it - as we're one such couple.
Looking for (1) strong schools, (2) predominantly white collar community, and (3) convenience to Grande Central for everyday commute.
And (4) our price range is at/under $650K, where do we go? River Towns I guess - Irvington being number 1?

All four points above are must haves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 06:02 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,470 times
Bang for your buck Eastchester keeps coming back to me. Schools are good but not the tops and its heavily Italian, which may be a turn off to some. You could always do Yonkers with Bronxville/Scarsdale PO and send the kids to private school.

Maybe take a look in Edgemont but not sure about finding a house in your range? I have not looked at listings recently, but finding a house in Irvington for less than $650,000 will be a challege. Maybe a townhouse?

Old 09-10-2014, 07:05 PM

90 posts, read 145,738 times
John70, thank you. Could you elaborate on Eastchester being heavily Italian -- what are the key things that may turn non-Italians away? I keep seeing this point about Eastchester, and it always comes up as a warning sign. I've had almost no encounters with American Italians. What their community look like?

Old 09-11-2014, 06:13 PM

454 posts, read 763,863 times
Their community looks just like any other WASP, Irish, Polish or (fill in the blank.) You will find that in almost all literature, magazine articles, history books, or any other written material, that people are quick to let you know which populations are Italian, and that Italians are somehow not "regular Americans." It is an ethnic group that just sticks no matter how many generations have been in the US.

There are people who associate Italian people with only blue collar jobs, low class manners, and loud arguments. Hell, even the Olive garden commercials have dark-haired people arguing. Most people of Italian decent believe in lots of education, are mostly white collar, regular folks. No cement shoes.

The only ethnic group that has no identity is Wasp, and that is because the demographic calls to mind no specifics. It's not better, it's just neutral, and therefore harmless.

Forget all this Italian baloney; make believe they're Lithuanian if it helps.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:56 PM

60 posts, read 227,362 times
When we moved 9 years ago, my cousin-in-law told us the best relative value in lower Westchester is Eastchester. Schools are solid but don't garner the premium of Scarsdale or Bronxville and you get so much more house for the money.

The other town we considered was Pelham and that probably would have been a great fit for us but there was nothing in our price range at the time.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 14,782 times
What about larchmont? I am looking at westchester as well but not too familiar. Our budget is up to $900000 but $650000 would be really nice so I am also interested in what you know so far

Thanks
Cks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County