Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:20 PM

307 posts, read 637,383 times

Advertisements

I recently went through a home search, looking primarily in Bedford and Katonah. As a result, I am now moving to the Bedford area. For the record, I really like everything the area has to offer. All that being said, I have been reading about Yorktown. I dont know very much about it (it seems like a large area) but the homes seem priced well. I am wondering if I should have also considered that area in my search. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my choice, but still curious. We both commute to NYC a bit, so that was a consideration. We are also NYC ex pats. Did I miss out by not considering the Yorktown area? Does it have good schools, strong community, cultural attributes? Maybe in the future I can recommend the area to other friends with families that may be looking to relocate from the city to a more bucolic area in northern Westchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 04:13 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
I don't think you are disadvantaged in Bedford in terms of schools, community and attributes. However Yorktown is a shorter drive to the Croton Metro North (with express stops) so presumably it would have been an easier commute to NYC. In fact, in terms of commuting, maybe Croton would have been the better option.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:36 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
This question puzzles me.
Yorktown and Bedford are a universe apart. All you need to do is drive around, stroll around in the villages, look at the stores and take a look. What you see is what you get. OTOH, if you did that and the difference isn't pretty obvious then I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
This question puzzles me.
Yorktown and Bedford are a universe apart. All you need to do is drive around, stroll around in the villages, look at the stores and take a look. What you see is what you get. OTOH, if you did that and the difference isn't pretty obvious then I guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks, I have never really been through the Yorktown area (which looks pretty large), which is why I asking about it. Once I move I will have to drive over and check it out.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 6,266 times
You should definitely check out Yorktown. Its a great, hard working community with lots to offer. It is very down to earth. Its large as well, with many different sections. In some ways, it may be nicer than Bedford or Pound ridge, even though those are nice towns too.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstater-11 View Post
You should definitely check out Yorktown. Its a great, hard working community with lots to offer. It is very down to earth. Its large as well, with many different sections. In some ways, it may be nicer than Bedford or Pound ridge, even though those are nice towns too.
Which is why Bdfrd and PR, unlike Yorktown or Croton, are both packed with financial moguls, media titans and the like.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Which is why Bdfrd and PR, unlike Yorktown or Croton, are both packed with financial moguls, media titans and the like.
Lots of successful people live in Yorktown too. Bedford and pound ridge may have some really high end mansions, but the average people in these towns are probably similar. People choose Yorktown that could easily afford other areas. Lots of houses in bedford and pound ridge are in the middle of the woods, with no front lawn, and no curb appeal. That's like living in the 1800's! . Give me a nice front lawn, and nice driveway where my house can actually be seen. What's the point to hide away where nobody can even see how nice your spread is.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstater-11 View Post
Lots of successful people live in Yorktown too. Bedford and pound ridge may have some really high end mansions, but the average people in these towns are probably similar. People choose Yorktown that could easily afford other areas. Lots of houses in bedford and pound ridge are in the middle of the woods, with no front lawn, and no curb appeal. That's like living in the 1800's! . Give me a nice front lawn, and nice driveway where my house can actually be seen. What's the point to hide away where nobody can even see how nice your spread is.
I actually chose Bedford for that very reason. Interesting difference of perspective.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
I actually chose Bedford for that very reason. Interesting difference of perspective.
Me too. Might as well be in Armonk if that's what you're after.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Me too. Might as well be in Armonk if that's what you're after.
Armonk, now that's an upscale area. I wish I could afford to live there. And I bet a lot of bedford and pound ridge folks secretly wish they could too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: