Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 06:59 AM

6 posts, read 10,585 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I have been living in Brooklyn, Ny my entire life and ready to leave the city behind. I am a NYC Firefighter that works in the Williamsburg section of brooklyn and would like feed back on commuting time from Yorktown hts to BK? (Best and cheapest route in car) Also a little information about Yorktown and things to do. I have alway been into sports and keeping active. I am married and have a 12 yr old daughter who will be attending 8th grade in September (school systems and programs). Wife will be looking to start her new career with her masters in social work possible employment opportunities? (She would like to stay local in yorktown) We are currently looking and hope to buy before July so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny229 View Post
Hello everyone,
I have been living in Brooklyn, Ny my entire life and ready to leave the city behind. I am a NYC Firefighter that works in the Williamsburg section of brooklyn and would like feed back on commuting time from Yorktown hts to BK? (Best and cheapest route in car) Also a little information about Yorktown and things to do. I have alway been into sports and keeping active. I am married and have a 12 yr old daughter who will be attending 8th grade in September (school systems and programs). Wife will be looking to start her new career with her masters in social work possible employment opportunities? (She would like to stay local in yorktown) We are currently looking and hope to buy before July so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys
Hello,
I live in Cortlandt Manor, the town right next to Yorktown. We are in Yorktown all the time. Yorktown is a very nice town. Our family doctors and dentists are all in town. Its a good choice.

I commute to downtown Brooklyn often (Metrotech area) so I can help you out. Its a long trip, but it gets better if you leave early. If its early, I take the Taconic South and get off at the Sheridan, take that to the BQE and go over the Kosciusko Bridge, then get off at the Brooklyn bridge. It takes me about an hour with no traffic. I pay the triboro toll this way, but it shaves 10-15 minutes off the trip.

If its anytime after 6:30 am when I leave, avoid the Kociusko like the plague. Then I go down the Taconic to 87, cross into NYC and take either the FDR or cross to the West side depending on traffic, then go over to Brooklyn. Its almost 90 minutes if I leave 10 minutes later, so early is better.

If you avoid rush hours, its about an hour with no tolls.

Yorktown has great activities. Parks are amazing, a few adult leagues for softball and flag football, but plenty of hiking and outdoor activities. Your daughter will love it. the HS is great. My next door neighbor runs the English department and another is an administrator. Its very well respected. Until she gets to HS, the middle school is also highly rated. Sports are very cometitive at HS, but they have rec leagues in the iddle school and some kids play up on the JV teams. As for your wife's career, sorry I can not help.

Have you considered renting while you look. I know rentals for 3BR houses int eh area are about 2k per month. It might give you time to find the perfect place. Also, curious as to why you went to Yorktown instead of Mohegan or Cortlandt Manor? Just always like to hear what made the decision.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 10,585 times
Thanks for the reply and the information. It's giving us a lot to consider. To answer your question, we chose Yorktown Heights based on the school ratings that we've seen through our research. Mohegan Lake was a top contender as well, but the commute would be further out compared to Yorktown. We don't know much about Cortlandt Manor outside of the school ratings being "touch and go" depending on where you're located in Cortlandt. Would you be able to provide some insight based on your experiences living in Cortlandt Manor? How's the community? Shops? Neighborhoods?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny229 View Post
Thanks for the reply and the information. It's giving us a lot to consider. To answer your question, we chose Yorktown Heights based on the school ratings that we've seen through our research. Mohegan Lake was a top contender as well, but the commute would be further out compared to Yorktown. We don't know much about Cortlandt Manor outside of the school ratings being "touch and go" depending on where you're located in Cortlandt. Would you be able to provide some insight based on your experiences living in Cortlandt Manor? How's the community? Shops? Neighborhoods?

I find the schools to be great. If the ratings you are looking at rate schools based on color of the students and wealth of the families, than Cortlandt Manor is certainly more diverse and less wealthy than Yorktown, but as for the schools ability to teach and prepare kids for college, they are both very good.

Our community is amazing. We are best friends with all of our neighbors. Our kids live at each others houses. My kids walk down the block to the park with their friends, ride bikes and play outside all day in the warm weather. In the winter they visit each other and play indoor games.

shopping in all of northern westchester is car based. Cortlandt has the biggest shopping area with Home Depot, Kohls, Big Lots, Best Buy, Walmart and many other shops in their shopping center. The Mall in Jefferson Valley is good. there are farmers markets and all kinds of nice small shops. Peekskill has the best restaurants in the area and the best music scene.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:38 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Then I go down the Taconic to 87, cross into NYC and take either the FDR or cross to the West side depending on traffic,
How is the rush hour traffic situation in the Taconic? And where is the most efficient point/exit to make the switch from the Sprain to the I87? I think if you do it at Cross County, you would need to take the service road which could be a bottleneck.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
How is the rush hour traffic situation in the Taconic? And where is the most efficient point/exit to make the switch from the Sprain to the I87? I think if you do it at Cross County, you would need to take the service road which could be a bottleneck.
Rush hour it can be terrible, you need to listen to the traffic reports for accidents. There are times that I take the cross county to the saw mill and go down the west side. My goal is to go down the Taconic until it turns into the Sprain. I get off the Sprain at Rt 100 (Central Park Ave) and take that a couple of blocks to the Deegan entrace ramp. Stay away from the cross county exchange in rush hour. Its brutal.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:26 PM

156 posts, read 305,041 times

Listen to Dr. Strangelove, it's a terrible drive. I did that commute for 18 years and liked getting off the Sprain at Tuckahoe Road and picking up the Deegan from there. Still, I think it's worth it to live in Northern Westchester.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDog View Post

Listen to Dr. Strangelove, it's a terrible drive. I did that commute for 18 years and liked getting off the Sprain at Tuckahoe Road and picking up the Deegan from there. Still, I think it's worth it to live in Northern Westchester.
To me, there is no question that it is worth it to live up here, it is just that some days the drive can be brutal. I take the train when I can, but if you are going to Brooklyn or Queens, it is almost never worth it.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:44 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,756 times
Well, how long does it take ?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County