Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a house in a flood plain (now)?
Yes, doesn't bother me at all 1 8.33%
Yes, if it was an amazing deal or some other reason 0 0%
Maybe, really depends on the situation 4 33.33%
No, you'd be crazy to now 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:35 PM

13 posts, read 11,463 times

Advertisements

Lower Westchester house hunter here with questions about flood zones.

As I understand it, coastal flooding is not just a concern in Westchester but also inland flooding during heavy storms for specific brooks. For those with knowledge of coastal and storm flooding:

a) Do you live in a flood plain and how much of a hassle is it esp. with evacuation warnings and the increasing incidence of storms in recent years? (Side question - if you have evacuated, where did you go?)

b) If you could do it all over again, would you? Is it worth it in terms of proximity to water or whatever reason you have for living in a flood plain?

c) Is there a single source (preferably in map form) for understanding which areas are more flood prone? I've looked at the Westchester GIS for flood plain overlays (Mapping Westchester County) but that doesn't seem to show inland flooding prone areas. I've had to comb through local news, fire department orders, meeting minutes of each town to understand which creeks tend to overflow during storms in each town/village/region.

d) This is a broad one, but do you think current real estate prices accurately reflect the new reality of higher storm incidence or the market prices have not caught up?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 AM

21 posts, read 50,931 times
I absolutely would not buy a house in a flood plain. The Westchester GIS maps do show flood plains for inland areas. You can see the colored areas around streams and the like.

Water can destroy a house and your irreplaceable possessions, or, in extreme cases, endanger your life. Why take that chance?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
I had six feet of water in my house in Sandy. Does not bother me at all.

Sounds Odd, but we forget stuff quickly. Homes on my block and every house had six feet of water are selling above pre-sandy prices.

Why. First folks have a short memory, second are houses are all redone, third in period after Sandy many including me won significant tax grievances. Fourth I only pay $550 a year flood insurance.

Next time I know to move all valuables greater than the height of sandy flooding and to evacuate and move cars. Next time I wont lose 3 cars and any valuables. So it is no longer and issue. I will be in a hotel eating a steak dinner next sandy and wont be home again while six feet of water came through my house. Spending the night upstairs with all the kids was a bit scary. Pitch black and a lot of water in my house and my cars floating in driveway.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 AM

269 posts, read 480,972 times
About 5 yrs ago my entire block got re-zoned as a high risk flood zone. We have the Hutchinson river in our backyard, it's about 2 feet wide. I now have to pay a mandatory $3200 per yr to FEMA (tax) for flood insurance that I don't need. We have never had a drop of water in our house. My neighbors did flood one time but that was due to a sewer backup during a big storm and it was a nightmare for them. I'm afraid it will be hard to sell when the time comes. Our neighbors have been trying to sell for some time but no bites, while other houses in the area have been snapped up. I'm afraid our new flood designation has killed our property values.
So, my answer is No, I would not buy in a flood plain.

Last edited by josmyth; 04-24-2015 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: misspellig

Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 AM

13 posts, read 11,463 times
Thanks everyone for your input -

tomverlaine - you're right, the maps do show inland areas. Guess I was too zoomed in.

SandyJet - do you mind sharing via this thread or DM whether you are coastal flood zone or inland, and how exactly the flooding allowed you to get a tax grievance?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomverlaine View Post
I absolutely would not buy a house in a flood plain. The Westchester GIS maps do show flood plains for inland areas. You can see the colored areas around streams and the like.

Water can destroy a house and your irreplaceable possessions, or, in extreme cases, endanger your life. Why take that chance?
I absolutely agree.

My hometown is Gowanda, NY, which sits in a valley with one large creek and several smaller ones, so most of it is in a flood plain of some sort. The village has been devastated by flash floods twice in the last 6 years (2009 and 2014). Previously, it had suffered flooding several times prior to 2009.

The village's water reservoir was severely damaged, the hospital destroyed, several houses destroyed and numerous others damaged, and 2 people died, including a man who was swept away by the flood waters in the 2009 flood.

The creek that causes the most damage is probably less than 10 feet across and not even a foot deep most of the year. I would never, ever, ever live in a flood plain. Did I make it clear enough that I would never live in a flood plain?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
All houses are in a flood zone. Every single house in America is in a flood zone. Some houses are required to have flood insurance is owner has a mortgage up to the mortgage amount.

Near me the houses in good locations flood insurance and flood damage has zero impact in price.

Houses near me in bad locations requiring flood insurance it is a negative on price.

My one big concern with flood insurance is FEMA and NY Rising not flood insurance. Flood insurance is optional if you dont have a mortgage. No big deal.

Right now I pay cheap for flood, but what happens if they jack it up to 10K? I cant drop it.

FEMA and NY Rising slapped deed restrictions on some homes. So my home for instance is now required to have flood insurance forever. Even next owner pays cash is required to have it.

Dont think they will because most folks will drop it even with the deed restriction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: