Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:25 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,676 times

Advertisements

and what do you do in Westchester County? other than the suspect beaches of Rye, is there much else to do on a beautiful summer day?

if so, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
and what do you do in Westchester County? other than the suspect beaches of Rye, is there much else to do on a beautiful summer day?

if so, what?
Head north to the not so suspect beaches of Croton Point Park. It costs something to park as its a NYS Park, but its beautiful. We pay for the annual pass for NYS parks, so I do not know the single day parking fee. The water is nice, the beach is peaceful and rarely packed, and the park it so pretty. If you like to fish, its a little early, but its a fine place to fish. One of the best places to watch a sunset in westchester. I absolutely love it there. After, get some of the best ice cream at The Blue Pig, just a short ride from the park. Amazing ice cream, all handmade and locally sourced (no animals with steriods/antibiotics are used for the milk/cream, also no high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors).

Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Head north to the not so suspect beaches of Croton Point Park. It costs something to park as its a NYS Park, but its beautiful. We pay for the annual pass for NYS parks, so I do not know the single day parking fee. The water is nice, the beach is peaceful and rarely packed, and the park it so pretty. If you like to fish, its a little early, but its a fine place to fish. One of the best places to watch a sunset in westchester. I absolutely love it there. After, get some of the best ice cream at The Blue Pig, just a short ride from the park. Amazing ice cream, all handmade and locally sourced (no animals with steriods/antibiotics are used for the milk/cream, also no high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors).
well, i'm glad i asked. this sounds like a great option. looks like no swimming though?

i usually head down to my parents house at the NJ shore so i haven't been around much on a summer weekend day.

Last edited by Shaolin Shadowboxing; 07-09-2015 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 02:36 PM

2,210 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
well, i'm glad i asked. this sounds like a great option. looks like no swimming though?

i usually head down to my parents house at the NJ shore so i haven't been around much on a summer weekend day.
There is a beach with swimming, its small, but a lot of people do it. Its more like lake swimming, with warmer water than the NJ Shore, but there is very little movement on the water other than the current, so its very different than a shore beach. Its a nice place to check out. I go for the fishing, but my kids love to run around, go to the slides and climbing structure, we often pack lunch and hang out. Lots of open space and trails to walk on. There is camping there too. Its a nice place. Worthy of a day visit as its close and the Blue Pig really is a great local place that uses local products and is as healthy as ice cream can possibly be.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
If you don't want the beach, you could always go to Ward Pound Ridge Reservation if you want to go for a hike.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-13-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you don't want the beach, you could always go to Ward Pound Ridge Reservation if you want to go for a hike.
i do want the beach, unfortunately rye beach doesn't really fit the bill.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:55 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
i do want the beach, unfortunately rye beach doesn't really fit the bill.
If you want real beaches that means LI. Try Robert Moses. Leave early or you'll wish you had.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:49 AM

276 posts, read 398,397 times
What is suspect about the beaches in Rye? Since I live near there, I'd rather not go there to find out if possible. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2015, 12:05 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
What is suspect about the beaches in Rye? Since I live near there, I'd rather not go there to find out if possible. Thanks!
Too crowded - it's open to everyone, so a lot of people come up from the city. While the sand's okay, the water is sort of in an inlet and there's not as much water movement. A lot of algae and seaweed.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
Too crowded - it's open to everyone, so a lot of people come up from the city. While the sand's okay, the water is sort of in an inlet and there's not as much water movement. A lot of algae and seaweed.
bingo, water is gross. sand is eh. just doesn't feel like an ocean beach at all.

in fact, i'd almost rather lay out in the green grass field adjacent to the beach there. just not a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County