Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:35 AM

17 posts, read 51,049 times

Advertisements

With our kids approaching kindergarten age, we're nearing the end of our "5 year plan" and are planning to move from our condo in northern Westchester within about a year. We've been town hunting in Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess. In these forums there seems to be about an even mixture of very objective and very biased points of view, so one needs to parse it all in context to be best informed. For schools, a pattern I've noticed is that folks from town X emphasize that their schools are very good, on par with the best schools in the area. Folks from town Y who pay higher taxes than in X believe their schools are at least (Y taxes - X taxes) better than X, if you'll pardon the algebra pun. Not at all implying that people are cynical; their respective points of view are understandable.

We need to choose our town carefully now, because it will determine whether we we are really: a. rich & entitled elitist jerks b. lower middle class people who can't make the grade and have to settle for something less c. hippie liberal new agey progressives, or d. uncultured rednecks. Having a little fun with this, but it sometimes seems that other folks' perception of who you and your family are is primarily determined by the town you chose live in. We really are considering a wide range towns that I've heard people put in all these categories.

While we're more familiar with Westchester towns, yesterday we decided to spend an afternoon in Pawling. Had a very nice downtown right near the train station. The housing areas surrounding the town center are very eclectic: a mix of country homes, 30-100 year old townhouses, and a splash of 'modern' homes here and there. A minority of homes seemed in disrepair, but not quite enough to be a blight on the area in my opinion. All of it very affordable, not even in the same ball park with Westchester home prices. While certainly farther away distance-wise, it's still very commutable to Manhattan (where I work). I couldn't find anything anything 'wrong' with Pawling besides its distance to the city and other large towns and shopping areas, which I'm sure puts it out of consideration for a lot of people. We haven't been able to find out anything about its schools or community groups, there's almost nothing on the internet. We drove out to see the high school. On the way, we thought we found it but realized were instead in the Trinity Pawling boarding school campus nearby, which I hadn't been aware of. My first thought was that means there is money in the area, but I suppose more likely the money is elsewhere, probably out of state. If you currently live, or have lived in Pawling, have kids and commute to the city I'd be very interested in your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:46 AM

211 posts, read 262,764 times
You can read parent reviews here:
Pawling Schools - Pawling New York School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 07-28-2015, 06:50 AM

The reviews on Greatschools are mostly old. Here's another site:
Pawling Central School District - Pawling, New York - SchoolDigger.com

Old 07-28-2015, 06:53 AM

From what I know, Pawling schools are good but the district is very very small, which has pluses and minuses.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:21 AM

Hi diy, the two websites you mentioned are what I mean. For the high school, one has only two reviews (which are outdated), and the other doesn't have any. It seems that Pawling locals aren't active online; I so far haven't been able to find out much.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:34 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
How long is the commute from Pawling to GC? How would this compare with, say, New Paltz which has an Andrionak Trailways depot and commuting to Port Authority?

Old 08-04-2015, 01:55 PM

According to the MTA schedule, Pawling to GCT ranges from 1 hr 55 mins to 2 hr 47 mins, which is longer than I'd originally thought it would be. I can't imagine the trailways bus would be shorter than that, especially during rush hour.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by six50joe View Post
According to the MTA schedule, Pawling to GCT ranges from 1 hr 55 mins to 2 hr 47 mins, which is longer than I'd originally thought it would be. I can't imagine the trailways bus would be shorter than that, especially during rush hour.
Check the Andrionak Trailways commuter schedule. It comes out to less than 2hrs from New Paltz:

Bus from New Paltz to New York City | Trailways of New York

Old 08-04-2015, 06:51 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
Try the commute first. It's a haul.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 AM

4,762 posts, read 793,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Try the commute first. It's a haul.
I agree completely. Try making a few "dry runs" of the commute from Pawling to Manhattan before you decide to move, and you might quickly change your mind about Pawling. Whether you commute by car or by train, you're looking at a minimum of 2 hours, door to door, each way, in the best case scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County