Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,009 times

Advertisements

Rye Neck – Greenhaven, Rye and Shore Acres, Mamaroneck

Been in Manhattan almost 20 years but didn’t grow up in tri-state area. We have preschool and elementary school aged kids and and are considering move to close train towns, so looking at Edgemont, Scarsdale, Rye Neck and (maybe) Mamaroneck school districts. I know Greenhaven and Shore Acre are water towns that use Rye Neck school district, any thoughts on these questions:

1. Can Greenhaven residents park at Mamaroneck train or only Rye train? Is it a pricing thing with Greenhaven residents paying more for Mamaroneck parking, or is Mamaroneck train not an option for Greenhaven residents period? Also, what’s with the waiting list at some Westchester train stations?

2. I know Shore Acres has private beach and pool and Greenhaven has private beach (or two?) but no pool. Seems like Greenhaven kids and Shore Acres kids would all be friends with each other since they attend Rye Neck schools together. Does each neighborhood need to use only its own facilities, meaning kids can’t really hang out with their school friends at the beach/pool even though they live only a few blocks away? Same question about Rye Pool Club and Mamaroneck Pool Club and about after school activities (sports leagues) – is each Rye Neck family restricted to one Club or the other and one sports league based on “Greenhaven address” vs. “Shore Acres address”? Wondering if it differs from Scarsdale where all kids attend school together and use same town pool.

3. Rye Neck often ranks near top of rankings and news articles just like other school districts I’m considering, and I know some people seek out the small class size (aka “private school feel”, “personalized attention”, “everyone knows every kid”, etc.), but is it on equal footing with Scarsdale, Edgemont, Rye Brook, Horace Greeley, etc. as far as access to good colleges? Does its size or “split-town” clientele reflect poorly on it and make it an out of sight / out of mind thing for college admissions officers or in some other way hinder its students’ chances. I’m not all about the Ivy’s, and I know each kid learns differently and a bright, determined kid with the right support can do well in any of these schools, but I am wondering how reputation affects the process for Rye Neck kids, especially having seen first hand how some grad schools or employers barely (if at all) consider applicants who don’t have the “right” educational pedigree. I don’t want to unknowingly hinder my kids’ chances right at the starting line.

4. Ignoring $5mm+ homes on the water and on Taylor Lane since that’s not us, what type of families live in the $1mm-2mm priced homes in Greenhaven and Shore Acres. Is it salaried, work-for-a-living, white collar people and owners of small/mid-sized family businesses, or are we talking almost exclusively about only I-bankers, hedgies, CEO’s and other executive committee, C-suite type people? One article reported median family income in Greenhaven as ~$550k, but maybe that’s (heavily?) skewed by a few families living in mega-mansions on the water or private cul-de-sacs.

5. Some people knock Greenhaven and Shore Acres b/c no main street or village or walkable park/playground – "nowhere for kids to hang out or think of as their own turf"; "stay at home parents/nannies can't walk babies and toddlers to park/playground"; blah blah, blah. But other commentators say both neighborhoods are super friendly and more laid back than Scarsdale/Rye/Chap. Which is it? Do Rye Neck families just adopt Mamaroneck’s main street for day to day errands, coffee, pizza, etc. since it’s only like a mile away? Parts of Scarsdale drive further to get to town, and parts of Edgemont don’t even have a town and need to use the stores on Central. Larchmont Village is convenient with its “walk everywhere” feel, but you get NO land there and no houses have pools, so that’s not high on my list of choices.

6. I’ve heard mixed things about size of Jewish population in Greenhaven and Shore Acres - anyone have personal experience with that? And do those families use Larchmont/Scarsdale/Rye temples if there isn't one in Greenhaven / Shore Acres? Wondering again like above if that makes people feel left out since most of the congregation would know each other from local town and schools while Greenhaven/Shore Acres people would be joining from a different town and school. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 AM

276 posts, read 398,247 times
OK, I recently purchased a home in Greenhaven, so I'll bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok ok View Post
1. Can Greenhaven residents park at Mamaroneck train or only Rye train? Is it a pricing thing with Greenhaven residents paying more for Mamaroneck parking, or is Mamaroneck train not an option for Greenhaven residents period? Also, what’s with the waiting list at some Westchester train stations?
Greenhaven is actually in what is called the Village of Mamaroneck, parts of which are in the Town of Rye and the Town of Mamaroneck. So, you can pay for Village parking and use the Mamaroneck train.

Quote:
2. I know Shore Acres has private beach and pool and Greenhaven has private beach (or two?) but no pool. Seems like Greenhaven kids and Shore Acres kids would all be friends with each other since they attend Rye Neck schools together. Does each neighborhood need to use only its own facilities, meaning kids can’t really hang out with their school friends at the beach/pool even though they live only a few blocks away? Same question about Rye Pool Club and Mamaroneck Pool Club and about after school activities (sports leagues) – is each Rye Neck family restricted to one Club or the other and one sports league based on “Greenhaven address” vs. “Shore Acres address”? Wondering if it differs from Scarsdale where all kids attend school together and use same town pool.
I can't help you here. I haven't lived here long enough. Would love to hear the answer, though!

Quote:
3. Rye Neck often ranks near top of rankings and news articles just like other school districts I’m considering, and I know some people seek out the small class size (aka “private school feel”, “personalized attention”, “everyone knows every kid”, etc.), but is it on equal footing with Scarsdale, Edgemont, Rye Brook, Horace Greeley, etc. as far as access to good colleges? Does its size or “split-town” clientele reflect poorly on it and make it an out of sight / out of mind thing for college admissions officers or in some other way hinder its students’ chances. I’m not all about the Ivy’s, and I know each kid learns differently and a bright, determined kid with the right support can do well in any of these schools, but I am wondering how reputation affects the process for Rye Neck kids, especially having seen first hand how some grad schools or employers barely (if at all) consider applicants who don’t have the “right” educational pedigree. I don’t want to unknowingly hinder my kids’ chances right at the starting line.
Rye Neck students regularly are accepted into fantastic schools and this is a factor in its high rankings. Just visit the school and you can find out a lot. The school was a huge factor in our decision to buy here.

Quote:
4. Ignoring $5mm+ homes on the water and on Taylor Lane since that’s not us, what type of families live in the $1mm-2mm priced homes in Greenhaven and Shore Acres. Is it salaried, work-for-a-living, white collar people and owners of small/mid-sized family businesses, or are we talking almost exclusively about only I-bankers, hedgies, CEO’s and other executive committee, C-suite type people? One article reported median family income in Greenhaven as ~$550k, but maybe that’s (heavily?) skewed by a few families living in mega-mansions on the water or private cul-de-sacs.
Lots of the type of salaried work-for-a-living types, at least away from the water where I live in Greenhaven. I'm certainly one of them. There are definitely some I-bankers and C-suite type people closer to the water, but I will say that those who I know are incredibly down-to-earth people who get how fortunate they really are. No inflated sense of self-worth that I have seen.

Quote:
6. I’ve heard mixed things about size of Jewish population in Greenhaven and Shore Acres - anyone have personal experience with that? And do those families use Larchmont/Scarsdale/Rye temples if there isn't one in Greenhaven / Shore Acres? Wondering again like above if that makes people feel left out since most of the congregation would know each other from local town and schools while Greenhaven/Shore Acres people would be joining from a different town and school. Thanks in advance.
Don't really know the answer to most of this. We have met people from all backgrounds - Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic - they've all been friendly. I can't really address the feeling about being left out yet. We're still too new, so I suppose we'll keep an eye out for that.

Overall, I am very happy with our choice. We love the house, the neighborhood and the schools. I hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:44 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,357 times
I recently bought a home in Rye Neck and also grew up in Rye Neck and it always bothered me when people said stuff like "adopt Mamaronecks main street"... Rye Neck is PART OF THE VILLAGE OF MAMARONECK... most homes in Rye Neck are just as close to the village as homes in the town of Mamaroneck... there is no need to "adopt".

Old 07-23-2015, 12:21 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,877 times
People on the sound shore tend to do things all over the area, from Rye to NR. For example, we go swimming in Rye, skating at Hommocks, gymnastics in Harrison, and play soccer in either Larchmont or Mamaroneck. We have friends in Harrison and New Rochelle who do the same.

You do realize that Shore Acres and Greenhaven are just the names of specific neighborhoods derived from the name of one of the streets, right? Of course there is no Shore Acres temple or main street...!? And you do realize that there is more to Rye Neck than just those 2 neighborhoods right? Your kids might actually make friends with kids who don't live in either neighborhood!

Of course you will be hanging out on Mamaroneck Avenue or at Harbor Island Park, like everyone else. The area is bustling with activity and is AWESOME in the summer with block parties, carnivals, concerts, etc.

There are a couple of temples in the Larchmont/Mamaroneck area, and you will be very welcome no matter where you live. Talk to people when you move in and find out where they go. It's not rocket science. Plenty of Jewish families all over Westchester.

I don't understand the "pool/club" question. There is no Mamaroneck Pool Club or Rye Pool Club.

I think you are WAY overestimating how much people stick within their own towns.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:49 PM

115 posts, read 213,343 times
Quote:

Unsure, don't take train.

I know Shore Acres allows people to come as guests. I have a fair amount of knowledge on the neighborhood and most people don't exclusively go down to the club (or go to it at all). I believe Greenhaven is similar but am not sure.

To be totally honest, Rye Neck's ranking is higher than it should be. I'm not saying it isn't a good school though, it absolutely is. The "mixed clientele" is largely middle and upper-middle class families. The school is still likely in the top 1% of schools in the country, and the small school size prevents people from slipping through the cracks. Rye Neck doesn't send as many people to Ivy's as the other schools, but that reflects more on wealth.

I would be shocked if the median income in Greenhaven was as LOW as 550k. The median house price there has go to be close to two million, and I'd say most people in the neighborhood probably buy houses below their means. Of people I know from Greenhaven, a significant portion are doctors or bankers. I do know one small business that lives there though (in one of the more modest houses). Shore Acres is not as universally wealthy as Greenhaven and has a more mixed population. There are definitely investment bankers and executives, but you will still find some people with middle or upper-middle class careers due to the fact that a lot of housing in the neighborhood is well under a million. The people living in homes that go for much over a million though are by-in-large going to have the occupations you mentioned.

5. Some people knock Greenhaven and Shore Acres b/c no main street or village or walkable park/playground – "nowhere for kids to hang out or think of as their own turf"; "stay at home parents/nannies can't walk babies and toddlers to park/playground"; blah blah, blah. But other commentators say both neighborhoods are super friendly and more laid back than Scarsdale/Rye/Chap. Which is it? Do Rye Neck families just adopt Mamaroneck’s main street for day to day errands, coffee, pizza, etc. since it’s only like a mile away? Parts of Scarsdale drive further to get to town, and parts of Edgemont don’t even have a town and need to use the stores on Central. Larchmont Village is convenient with its “walk everywhere” feel, but you get NO land there and no houses have pools, so that’s not high on my list of choices.

They are neighborhoods not towns, of course they don't have main streets. Shore Acres is close to Mamaroneck Avenue. Greenhaven is a bit farther but you can still drive to other places.

There are a lot of Jewish people in Greenhaven, I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to half. Shore Acres has a lower, but still significant, Jewish population. My VERY rough guesses would be a long the lines of 45% for Greenhaven and 15% from Shore Acres, but take that with a grain of salt. There are plenty of temples around though. I feel like you think Shore Acres and Greenhaven are larger than they are. Shore Acres is maybe 2 or 3 hundred houses and Greenhaven is maybe twice that, they are not towns, just neighborhoods.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:50 PM

115 posts, read 213,343 times
Woops, looks like I messed up the quoting. My answers are in the quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County