Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 12,968 times

Advertisements

Hello!
First time posting here.
My husband and I and our 15 month old son are ready to leave bay ridge Brooklyn.
We both grew up in smaller towns (me in Hampton bays,ny and he in new port richey, fl) and we are ready to enjoy the countryside again. We've spent a lot of time in the Hudson valley, as far up as saugerties and we enjoy the area. We are looking into moving to (possibly) Highland Falls or Cornwall, in Orange County.
We are looking to spend $300,000 or under. We are ok being close to a town, or out in the middle of nowhere. We have a son who will be in school so we'd like decent schools, smaller class sizes, but we don't need the kid to be set up for Harvard so having the absolute #1 school is not our thing. The constraint/question is about the commute. Currently we both work in NYC, in the west village (near west 4th street stop). I have a good job in culinary tourism (food tours) and my husband works in a farm to table restaurant. But thankfully, we both only work 20 hours outside the house (I do 10 hours from home) and we swap days in terms of caring for our son. I would only need to commute 3 (maybe 4, not sure) days per week. Same for my husband. How impossible or possible is the commute from either of those towns to the west village. How much time? And what is the shortest way or most seamless way? Bus? Car? Train? Combination of all 3? Does anyone out there make a similar commute and live to tell?? Thank you so much. We are exited to leave the city and just wondering if it is really possible? We think, at heart, we are more farm and country than city folk, now that we have a family and after many years of city life. We certainly might explore job possibilities in Orange County (we both have past experience with working at colleges) but for the his first transition, might want to hold on to the (good) current source of income and the part time status of our jobs.

And so finally, aside from the above question, is there another town you'd suggest besides highland falls or Cornwall? We are open!
Thanks again,
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 02:08 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amybando View Post
Hello!
First time posting here.
My husband and I and our 15 month old son are ready to leave bay ridge Brooklyn.
We both grew up in smaller towns (me in Hampton bays,ny and he in new port richey, fl) and we are ready to enjoy the countryside again. We've spent a lot of time in the Hudson valley, as far up as saugerties and we enjoy the area. We are looking into moving to (possibly) Highland Falls or Cornwall, in Orange County.
We are looking to spend $300,000 or under. We are ok being close to a town, or out in the middle of nowhere. We have a son who will be in school so we'd like decent schools, smaller class sizes, but we don't need the kid to be set up for Harvard so having the absolute #1 school is not our thing. The constraint/question is about the commute. Currently we both work in NYC, in the west village (near west 4th street stop). I have a good job in culinary tourism (food tours) and my husband works in a farm to table restaurant. But thankfully, we both only work 20 hours outside the house (I do 10 hours from home) and we swap days in terms of caring for our son. I would only need to commute 3 (maybe 4, not sure) days per week. Same for my husband. How impossible or possible is the commute from either of those towns to the west village. How much time? And what is the shortest way or most seamless way? Bus? Car? Train? Combination of all 3? Does anyone out there make a similar commute and live to tell?? Thank you so much. We are exited to leave the city and just wondering if it is really possible? We think, at heart, we are more farm and country than city folk, now that we have a family and after many years of city life. We certainly might explore job possibilities in Orange County (we both have past experience with working at colleges) but for the his first transition, might want to hold on to the (good) current source of income and the part time status of our jobs.

And so finally, aside from the above question, is there another town you'd suggest besides highland falls or Cornwall? We are open!
Thanks again,
Amy
You are talking about a very demanding commute using public transportation. If it is during the rush hours, it is possibly 2.5 hours each way. From Highland falls, you would have to drive to Peekskill over the BEar Mountain bridge and parkway, which is not very fast moving in the morning and evening rush (maybe 30 minutes each way). Park at Peekskill and take metro north to grand central (an hour each way) then the subway to the village. (20 minutes each way). With walking and waiting for trains, its over 2 hours each way. Driving is faster some days, but slower others. From Cornwall its a but longer (80 to 90 minutes on the train) and about the same drive to Beacon as the prior drive to Peekskill. Its about 15 minutes longer in the car if you drive.

I love it up there, its amazing, but its a long drive. You can shave some time by looking at Putnam County or the north end of westchester. If it were me, I would use zillow.com to start thinking about areas closer. You can start in zip code 10567 which is the northwest end of westchester county. Then you can move north and west to other towns and zip codes. You can set it for 300k as your max and see what there is to offer. Some areas are quite rural. If you find an area, you can ask here about the schools or research it online. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 PM

7 posts, read 12,968 times
Thank you for the insight...

Old 03-20-2016, 09:18 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,628 times
A bear of a commute. But hard to get more for your money, even in Putnam. 300 will be tough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County