Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,293 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My hubby and I are new to Westchester, and we're looking for single family houses in this area. Last week we saw the Belle Fair community in Rye Brook. Very beautiful. We like it a lot. But before we make an offer, can you guys let me know if there are other similar developments in Westchester? We really like the community feeling of the complex, and enjoy the amenities.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 07:40 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciduo777 View Post
Hi everyone,

My hubby and I are new to Westchester, and we're looking for single family houses in this area. Last week we saw the Belle Fair community in Rye Brook. Very beautiful. We like it a lot. But before we make an offer, can you guys let me know if there are other similar developments in Westchester? We really like the community feeling of the complex, and enjoy the amenities.

Thanks!!!!

I'm not as familiar with Rye Brook (I live on the other side of the County in Dobbs Ferry) so had to Google Belle Fair. Without meaning any offense at all, it looks like the town right out of 'The Truman Show', if you've seen that movie. From what I've seen, planned developments on that scale are a rarity in Westchester. The closest I can think of on our side is the Landings community in Dobbs Ferry or maybe Watch Hill in Tarrytown, but without the luxury amenities and comparable square footage per home.

I'm originally from the Midwest and large, planned developments are the norm rather than the exception for most suburban communities. One thing I liked about moving to Westchester was the natural landscape across the villages and general lack of that 'manufactured community' feeling, but can understand that a lot of people enjoy it. It may just be a little more of a challenge for you to locate it. Re: Belle Fair, it's right next to the Westchester airport, so hopefully your agent gave you the opportunity to visit the home on a day that would be reflective of an 'average' amount of air traffic passing over the community.

Best of luck in your search.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:35 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times
As the above poster stated, Belle Fair is next door to Westchester Airport. You will hear a lot of air traffic noise depending on air route... That said, I know a few people who live in or have lived in Belle Fair and loved it. There are not many planned developments like Belle Fair (with high end houses) in Westchester.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:50 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
To the OP- have you been present in the community when planes were taking off or landing? I only ask because that community is so close to the end of the runway and the planes flying out of that airport are so large, I can't imagine people actually being able to live there. It's not just near the airport- it's directly in the flight path of one of the two runways.

We're somewhat interested in that area too if I end up taking a job near there but I just can't imagine being able to retain my sanity that close to a runway with heavy planes. I once lived about 4 miles away from a similarly sized airport (smaller, actually, since it didn't have airlines, but it did have corporate jets) and the noise was quite noticeable at all hours. Belle Fair is about a 1/4 mile from the airport at its closest.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
To the OP- have you been present in the community when planes were taking off or landing? I only ask because that community is so close to the end of the runway and the planes flying out of that airport are so large, I can't imagine people actually being able to live there. It's not just near the airport- it's directly in the flight path of one of the two runways.

We're somewhat interested in that area too if I end up taking a job near there but I just can't imagine being able to retain my sanity that close to a runway with heavy planes. I once lived about 4 miles away from a similarly sized airport (smaller, actually, since it didn't have airlines, but it did have corporate jets) and the noise was quite noticeable at all hours. Belle Fair is about a 1/4 mile from the airport at its closest.
Hi Everyone,
I have lived in Belle Fair since 2001 and I love it here. There is an amazing sense of community with friends across the street, down the block and around the corner. The amenities are lovely and help to foster that sense of community. On top of that, you get a lot of house for your money (in an excellent school district) relative to surrounding areas.

We are close to the airport (and that is an issue) but there are two points to consider:
First, the houses were built with a high quality sound attenuation system. I have never heard an airplane while in my house.
Second, there are some blocks in Belle Fair where the planes are much more noticeable than others. I live on Milestone Rd., farthest from the flight path. The planes are not noticeable to me even when I am outside. Residents who buy into houses at the very end of Belle Fair Rd., however, may be disappointed to find planes landing over their heads.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralw View Post
Hi Everyone,
I have lived in Belle Fair since 2001 and I love it here. There is an amazing sense of community with friends across the street, down the block and around the corner. The amenities are lovely and help to foster that sense of community. On top of that, you get a lot of house for your money (in an excellent school district) relative to surrounding areas.

We are close to the airport (and that is an issue) but there are two points to consider:
First, the houses were built with a high quality sound attenuation system. I have never heard an airplane while in my house.
Second, there are some blocks in Belle Fair where the planes are much more noticeable than others. I live on Milestone Rd., farthest from the flight path. The planes are not noticeable to me even when I am outside. Residents who buy into houses at the very end of Belle Fair Rd., however, may be disappointed to find planes landing over their heads.
Thanks for your response. We've visited the house and the community three times now, and really can't say no to the lovely neighborhood and nice lifestyle. During a house viewing, I sat in the living room for almost an hour just waiting for the airplane sound, and you were right, I could barely notice it. The sound proof was really good (a plus to temperature protection too). Love the Bright Horizons on the development too. What can I ask more as a mom? So we decided to place our first offer! fingers crossed. Hope we can be neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County