Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Took two years, but NTSB has finally issued a report on the Metro-North Valhalla crash that left six dead. Blame for crash was assigned to the driver of SUV (Mrs. Ellen Brody)

"After much debate Tuesday morning, the NTSB approved a probable cause that points blame for the crash at 49-year-old Ellen Brody. The board said she drove onto the Metro-North Harlem Line tracks crossing Commerce Street in Mount Pleasant for “undetermined reasons,” despite warning signals telling her a train was oncoming.

The board said she was further distracted by a crossing arm hitting the back of her car, which she got out to investigate, decreasing the amount of time she had to get her car off the tracks."

NTSB blames driver for fatal Metro-North Valhalla crash; husband lashes out=

Board also found the design of Metro-North tracks (third rail electrification system) played role in the deaths.

Rail Design Led to Deadliness of 2015 Metro-North Train Crash: Official | NBC New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
If her husband gets any money from the MTA or the engineer (both of whom he is currently suing) for this lady's actions it'll be a travesty. The victim's estates should be suing the Brody estate for her actions.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:33 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
NYT weighs in: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/n...tors-find.html

Old 07-27-2017, 05:15 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
It took 2 years to report what was obvious? It was known the driver failed to heed the train signals that were present. The husbands argument that she didn't know where she was and wasn't familiar or the crossing is poorly designed is ridicules. I would bet that most people regardless of where their from would recognize train crossing warnings

Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
If her husband gets any money from the MTA or the engineer (both of whom he is currently suing) for this lady's actions it'll be a travesty. The victim's estates should be suing the Brody estate for her actions.
Terrible tragedy but only dumb lawyers sue shallow pockets.

She was driving a new-to-her Mercedes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2125193

Unlike most cars with a shifter on the tree, where you pull down for reverse and then pull down again for neutral and again for drive, for the Mercedes you push UP for reverse and down for drive.

Why I hate the counterintuitive shifters and will not permit anyone in my family to drive any.

In a moment of panic you do not have time to think about how to shift something that is counterintuitive or to look at a rotary shifter (Jaguar) or a panel of shifter buttons (Acura MDX).

Old 07-27-2017, 07:53 AM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It took 2 years to report what was obvious? It was known the driver failed to heed the train signals that were present. The husbands argument that she didn't know where she was and wasn't familiar or the crossing is poorly designed is ridicules. I would bet that most people regardless of where their from would recognize train crossing warnings
Yeah, but lawyers gotta' eat too.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 AM

75 posts, read 108,040 times
I've been bothered by this accident because I had a babysitter who lived in a neighborhood that was close to this exact crossing, and I used to drive through it several times a week. Before the bar came down, lights would flash and you heard a loud clanging noise. There was a lot of warning that would be (I thought) impossible to ignore. It's hard for me to fathom what was going through her mind. Ponytrekker's post about the gear shift on the Mercedes is interesting -- but she actually got out of the car and spent time trying to lift the bar off of it, taking extra time to do that. Very strange and sad.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:45 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
It may seem obvious also but I like to look for a full car length of empty space beyond the crossing before entering it, traffic or not.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:18 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
We've made 6 cross country trips all by rail (Amtrak). You'd have to be completely deaf to not hear the blaring of air horns as a train was approaching well before the train even reaches the crossings. These trains are moving fast and don't exactly stop on a dime. Why people think they can beat a train is beyond me? Applying the train's air brakes at that speed is not an option. Trains are only supposed to gradually slow down before coming to a complete stop. Depending on the trains speed, length and weight that could take a mile or more. At 60 mph it will only take 15 seconds to travel a quarter of a mile (1320 ft.). That's almost the length of 4 football fields.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Is the repugnant Mr. Brody and his sleazebag lawyer going to finally go away, or will they keep trying to get those millions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: