Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 08:40 AM

10 posts, read 11,564 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I've done a fair bit of research online but would love to hear from the locals here...

We are moving in the summer to the Westchester area. I have a daughter entering the 2nd grade next year and our younger one will be entering kindergarten in a couple years. It's been a bit daunting trying to find a school district that would fit our needs. Right now, she's enrolled in the inner-city school district in Dallas, which quite frankly only have a handful of decent schools in it. We lucked out and live in an area with a great little local school. On paper, it doesn't look so great. It's got a 75% poverty rate and about half the kids are ESL students. However, the teachers are wonderful and the principal is really an amazing woman and it's a dual-language school, which we really love. So we're quite happy there. We really like the diversity in terms of ethnicity and various income levels - from quite low-income to middle class to upper-middle class, and her little circle of friends are as diverse as the school itself.

I've been on Niche and GreatSchools, so I know how the schools rate from a data perspective, but local insight from parents would be incredibly helpful too. My job will be in White Plains so I'd like to be within 30 minutes, if we end up going outside of WP. Daycare will also be a consideration for the little one, so we'd need a bit of choice in that aspect as well. Also for the record, I just about fell out of my chair when I saw how much daycare costs up there

Appreciate the help and insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:40 AM

974 posts, read 1,412,497 times
White Plains SD would work for you, and of course, you will then be able to live and work in the same city. And based on Westchester standards, housing in White Plains is fairly inexpensive, in large part because aspects of the SD which you find to be positive are viewed as being negative by many other people, especially those that can spend a lot on housing.

Also note that in Westchester you pay a huge premium for access to Manhattan. Since you don't need it, you shouldn't pay for it. Therefore, if you don't wind up living in White Plains, I would instead find something 30 minutes north, although many of those districts won't meet your diversity of ethnicity and income requirements.

In any event, very few districts in all of suburban NY would meet your criteria and not be horrible. White Plains might be one of the few that does meet your criteria and would be quite good.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:50 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel6992 View Post
Hi everyone,
I've done a fair bit of research online but would love to hear from the locals here...

We are moving in the summer to the Westchester area. I have a daughter entering the 2nd grade next year and our younger one will be entering kindergarten in a couple years. It's been a bit daunting trying to find a school district that would fit our needs. Right now, she's enrolled in the inner-city school district in Dallas, which quite frankly only have a handful of decent schools in it. We lucked out and live in an area with a great little local school. On paper, it doesn't look so great. It's got a 75% poverty rate and about half the kids are ESL students. However, the teachers are wonderful and the principal is really an amazing woman and it's a dual-language school, which we really love. So we're quite happy there. We really like the diversity in terms of ethnicity and various income levels - from quite low-income to middle class to upper-middle class, and her little circle of friends are as diverse as the school itself.

I've been on Niche and GreatSchools, so I know how the schools rate from a data perspective, but local insight from parents would be incredibly helpful too. My job will be in White Plains so I'd like to be within 30 minutes, if we end up going outside of WP. Daycare will also be a consideration for the little one, so we'd need a bit of choice in that aspect as well. Also for the record, I just about fell out of my chair when I saw how much daycare costs up there

Appreciate the help and insight!
For Daycare, I send my daughter to Bright Horizons in White Plains. We also sent my older son there from when he was 11 weeks through Kindergarten Prep (he is now in 1st grade). We have had a very positive experience. Both learned so much and were VERY ready for Kindergarten. It is a little pricey, but as you mentioned, most are. I believe if your child is under 2 the rate is 2400 per month (includes healthy hot breakfast and lunch plus afternoon snack). If your child is over 2 the rate is 2090 per month. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: