Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 PM

37 posts, read 48,047 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Westchester from Manhattan. We are reform/conservative and looking for good area and good schools with moderate taxes.
any suggestions would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 06:24 AM

276 posts, read 398,397 times
Welcome! There are many people who would be happy to help you on this forum, but you'll likely need to be more specific. For example:
  • What are "moderate" taxes?
  • What specifically do you mean by "reform/conservative"?
You'll get lots of assistance once people understand what you mean by those two terms. This forum was very helpful to me when we moved to Westchester a few years ago. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2018, 07:48 AM

95 posts, read 196,384 times
I can't find it now, but Westchester Magazine had a great summary of towns/median sale prices/taxes in one of its recent issues.

We just went through an exhaustive search. Unfortunately, if you are looking in a good school district, it's tough to find a "deal". Towns have varying tax rates, but values will adjust for that. For example - tax rates (on asssesed values) in Pelham and Larchmont are ~3.0% and ~2.7%, respectively. All things equal, you will pay less in Larchmont. But the house you'll get will be smaller. We commonly looked at annual tax/sq foot as a proxy of value.

Keep in mind that you will no longer owe city tax (3.6% for most people) when you move out.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:55 AM

I don't have a specific number but nothing over $30K

We are more reform/conservative vs orthodox and so looking for a neighborhood like that

We have been looking at Larchmont, Harrison and Mamaroneck. We did look in Armonk but it was a little woodsy for us so its still on the list for now.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:15 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky11 View Post
I don't have a specific number but nothing over $30K

We are more reform/conservative vs orthodox and so looking for a neighborhood like that

We have been looking at Larchmont, Harrison and Mamaroneck. We did look in Armonk but it was a little woodsy for us so its still on the list for now.
We live in the Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck and love it. Love the schools and the community. If when you are speaking of reform/conservative you are meaning reform/conservative Jewish, my son is half Jewish (raising him reform) and he is in a class with a few other Jewish kids (both reform and conservative). Greenhaven section of Rye Neck has a very high percentage of Jewish families. However, house prices are going to run 1.5 (at the very low end) and up and taxes will most likely be 30,000 and up. However, there are Jewish families scattered all around.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:31 PM

830 posts, read 1,093,822 times
Not sure if you mean Jewish, but Rye Brook/Neck, Chappaqua, Armonk and Scarsdale are the primary towns that have a reputation for being Jewish. Larchmont, Harrison and Mamaroneck would not be, but obviously there are people of different religions in every town in Westchester.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:12 AM

482 posts, read 729,312 times
The fact that you said “reform/conservative” and assumed everyone would understand, leads me to believe that you keep a tight circle.

Edgemont and Scarsdale come to mind. Edgemont has a good amount of housing stock that is within reach (taxes under the 30). Scarsdale not as much. I would look at Edgemont. Oh and schools are top ranked. Commute is a bit tricky however since you n Ed to cross into Scarsdale.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:40 AM

i thought from prior posts that people understand what i meant when i said reform/conservative but see that isn't the case. I dont have a tight circle. i understand every town has different religions and thats great but i was looking for a place where there was a reputation for being jewish. i thought larchmont and harrison did have that reputation.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:12 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky11 View Post
i thought from prior posts that people understand what i meant when i said reform/conservative but see that isn't the case. I dont have a tight circle. i understand every town has different religions and thats great but i was looking for a place where there was a reputation for being jewish. i thought larchmont and harrison did have that reputation.
I am not sure there are any town in Westchester that are mostly "Jewish" if that is what you are looking for. I know there are towns in Rockland (Hasidic Jews I think) and maybe LI that may be mostly Jewish. If you are looking for your children to be raised with only or mostly only Jewish kids Westchester many not fit the bill. When choosing a school the Jewish population was not very important to my family,however we did not want our children to be the only Jewish kids and we had plenty of options.
Larchmont and Harrison have plenty of Jewish families. As well as many other towns as people have mentioned. Scarsdale, Edgemont, Rye Brook, Rye Neck etc.. You will also find many Jewish families in Armonk, Chappaqua, Bedford.. the list goes on and on. There are Jewish families in every town.
If religion is a major player in finding a town in the NY suburbs, maybe research the temples in each town to get a better feel of the Jewish communities.
Good luck on your search!

Old 04-24-2018, 12:17 PM

830 posts, read 1,093,822 times
You say good schools but will you use the public schools? Most of the people I knew that would call themselves "reform/conservative" would choose to go private (for example Solomon Schechter or Westchester Hebrew). If going private, New Rochelle has some areas with a large Jewish population. Larchmont & Harrison definitely have Jewish populations, but I would bet they are in the minority (Larchmont has a reputation as being something of a historically WASP bastion, and Harrison is heavily Italian). You may have better luck with what you're looking for in Long Island, Rockland County or NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County