Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:29 AM

12 posts, read 20,495 times

Advertisements

Hi! As we narrow down our search from far away I’d love someone to describe the vibe of Edgemont. It appears from afar to have a good selection of homes, possible have neighborhoods with sidewalks, be a good central location, easy drive to beach area, easy to get to NYC and from what I can see, good schools. What are the demographics like as far as religions and racial diversity? We’d love a mix of all and also feel welcome as Christian/Protestant. On paper it looks like a really great place and hoping it might be a good fit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 11:42 AM

973 posts, read 1,410,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCtoNYC View Post
Hi! As we narrow down our search from far away I’d love someone to describe the vibe of Edgemont. It appears from afar to have a good selection of homes, possible have neighborhoods with sidewalks, be a good central location, easy drive to beach area, easy to get to NYC and from what I can see, good schools. What are the demographics like as far as religions and racial diversity? We’d love a mix of all and also feel welcome as Christian/Protestant. On paper it looks like a really great place and hoping it might be a good fit!
Edgemont as a school district is on the small side. About 110 kids per grade (extrapolating off of recent enrollment numbers used for sports classifications). I like smaller schools, some don't. Its a matter of preference as there are pluses and minuses for each. It is a school known for its academics. It won't have much economic diversity, and may have a bit of a private school vide (not too much, just more than a larger, generic public high school). Will probably be more jewish and asian than you are used to, but its 2019 and this is the NY suburbs. No one really cares about such things anymore.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:57 PM

91 posts, read 123,453 times
Edgemont has very good schools, nice houses, quiet suburban feel, and quite high property taxes that could get a good bit higher (the district voted to incorporate a new village last year but was blocked by the town). It's pretty uniformly affluent, but has a significant Asian population. Religion is mostly low key in Westchester and just about everyone is happy to all get along.

It's almost more of a neighborhood feel than a town IMO. There's a big hill down to Scarsdale, lousy sidewalks on Ardsley Rd, and a lot of strip mall type places along Central Park/100. Seems pretty car centric to me other than your local block or two. We thought it seemed really nice, but wanted something with more of an accessible town center and easier transit to the city.

I wouldn't call it an easy drive to the beach (about average for lower Westchester), but none of the Westchester beaches are much to get excited about anyway.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:39 PM

276 posts, read 398,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwch View Post
...but none of the Westchester beaches are much to get excited about anyway.
Indeed. There is a reason that almost all of the shore clubs (Mamaroneck, Shore Acres, Coveleigh, American Yacht) also have pools.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:04 PM

12 posts, read 20,495 times
I guess I should qualify this... living in Kansas you can imagine our drive to anything that resembles a beach. Lol! And there is zero walkabikoty here..: we drive 15+++ minutes to go ANYWHERE... driving 25-30 minutes to play on sand near water will be nothing short of a miracle. ����

Old 03-27-2019, 07:01 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
Edgemont isn't a town, it's a school district. There are some nice little parts, but there is no town centre and no train station. I truly don't get the appeal. You can find schools just as good in prettier towns with better amenities, at the same house price point.

If you want some diversity and to be near the water I'd suggest Mamaroneck or Larchmont, depending on your budget. The schools are very good. Parks are amazing.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:11 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,780 times
Not much of its own town- more of an extension of Scarsdale with its own schools, more Asian, and then primarily Jewish. Maybe consider Larchmont or Rye for more of a town vibe, great schools, and beaches.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:15 PM

62 posts, read 89,444 times
Edgemont doesn't really have a "vibe" per se. It's a neighborhood with expensive homes, high pressure schools and soon to be even more expensive property taxes (if they ever get the greenlight on incorporating). It's very asian/jewish if that's the type of "diversity" your looking for.

I would recommended looking into Larchmont. A really great town.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:35 PM

1,186 posts, read 966,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCtoNYC View Post
I guess I should qualify this... living in Kansas you can imagine our drive to anything that resembles a beach. Lol! And there is zero walkabikoty here..: we drive 15+++ minutes to go ANYWHERE... driving 25-30 minutes to play on sand near water will be nothing short of a miracle. ����
I moved to Westchester from the Midwest (Minnesota) as well, so it bears mentioning that a 15-20 min drive in Westchester/NYC metro area is WAY more painful than what you might be used to. In Minnesota, the roads were wide, flat, well-kept, well lit and freeways were abundant. I honestly didn't mind driving there because it was easy and relatively low stress, and a 20 mile drive was no big deal.

Here in Westchester, driving a mere 5 miles is a hassle because you're dealing with narrow, winding, poorly maintained roads with poor visibility, and then traffic to boot. A year after moving here, our car snapped a front suspension spring from hitting so many potholes, we've had more flat tires in three years than I've had in a lifetime of car ownership. The reason I mention all this is not to try and be negative, but just because the whole concept of 'running errands' here is different and it bears mentioning especially if you're choosing a home based on the idea of driveability. It's a big hassle to have a 1-2hr commute on Metro North every day and then have to still endure another hour of traffic to do errands.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:38 PM

973 posts, read 1,410,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I moved to Westchester from the Midwest (Minnesota) as well, so it bears mentioning that a 15-20 min drive in Westchester/NYC metro area is WAY more painful than what you might be used to. In Minnesota, the roads were wide, flat, well-kept, well lit and freeways were abundant. I honestly didn't mind driving there because it was easy and relatively low stress, and a 20 mile drive was no big deal.

Here in Westchester, driving a mere 5 miles is a hassle because you're dealing with narrow, winding, poorly maintained roads with poor visibility, and then traffic to boot. A year after moving here, our car snapped a front suspension spring from hitting so many potholes, we've had more flat tires in three years than I've had in a lifetime of car ownership. The reason I mention all this is not to try and be negative, but just because the whole concept of 'running errands' here is different and it bears mentioning especially if you're choosing a home based on the idea of driveability. It's a big hassle to have a 1-2hr commute on Metro North every day and then have to still endure another hour of traffic to do errands.
The weather in lower Westchester is much worse in terms of causing potholes than what you would find in MN. The more temps cycle through freeze/thaw, the more potholes will happen. In lower Westchester, you might have two freeze/thaw cycles per day for much of the winter. In MN I would think it would stay below freezing for much longer stretches. Also, the winters may be drier in MN (more snow, but overall drier), but this is just a guess. Mother nature decided long ago that we must endure potholes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County