Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 10:08 AM

317 posts, read 314,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
I'd live in Istanbul before Jersey.
What's wrong with NJ? Lots of very successful people pay top bucks to live there. Wall St., IT, Big Pharma, etc. Are you telling me they're all crazy to be in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 05:08 PM

35,064 posts, read 57,161,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
What's wrong with NJ? Lots of very successful people pay top bucks to live there. Wall St., IT, Big Pharma, etc. Are you telling me they're all crazy to be in NJ?
I agree. New Jersey gets a bad rap but many parts of it are beautiful. Still I would not recommend it to someone working in midtown around Grand Central. It’s too hard of a commute in comparison. Jay

Old 10-17-2019, 07:10 PM

131 posts, read 272,330 times
top suburbs w/ decent commutes would be short hills, summit and chatham. if you are walking distance from penn station, it's doable. otherwise you'd have to hope on the MTA. most essex taxes are way too high to make it worth it.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:17 AM

454 posts, read 765,730 times
If you are into amenities and activities, I would look into Eastchester. It checks all the boxes, but the big plus is a country club with golf, tennis, swimming pools and all kinds of activities for families. It's called Lake Isle Country Club and it's available to Eastchester residents at a low cost.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:25 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,203,958 times
Briarcliff Manor, Pleasantville. Great schools, small town feel, easy commute and large properties. Taxes are not as high as lower Westchester.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:38 AM

87 posts, read 102,430 times
Does your husband like commuting? Thats a big factor since the schools in NYC are crap

Old 10-20-2019, 11:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,251 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you all such much for your feedback! So many good ideas and suggestions to consider.

Spouse will work 2 blocks away from Grand Central.

And wow. We had no clue about the station parking- or lack there of.

The urban dictionary suggestion proved to be quite entertaining.

This thread has helped us narrow things down quite a bit!!!!

Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM

354 posts, read 778,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
What's wrong with Istanbul??

(I would rather live there than NJ though )

Old 10-22-2019, 09:21 AM

1,186 posts, read 970,888 times
I'm a Westchester resident, but with a $2M budget, I'd actually suggest looking into the Greenwich or New Caanan area for 2 primary reasons:

1) Taxes are lower - significantly - than Westchester. This is even more true if you are looking for a more expensive or larger square footage home. Again it depends on how long you plan to stay in the home and other factors.

2) You mention being city not country people. Large swaths of Westchester are remote by suburban standards with village/town main street areas that are sparsely populated and narrow roads with no sidewalks. Greenwich/New Caanan have much more vibrant towns, significantly more and bettter shopping options (in my opinion).

Downsides to CT? You're on the I-95/I-287 corridor which sees dense traffic and the New Haven Metro North line is the busiest of all the lines. Since you're from out of state, I feel it necessary to warn that the commutes from NJ, Westchester and CT can be grueling and stressful once you pile on train delays and inclement weather conditions. Add on a drive to the station, traffic, parking, etc and it can quickly become a headache. Living within walking distance to the station can really help alleviate this and cut down your commute times.

As for the Jersey hate here, please ignore it. You'll find all types up here in NY/NJ area and some people can be extremely pretentious. If you ignore that type of attitude and look at the actual merits of each place you'll do just fine.

I love the town of Ridgewood, but in the end couldn't justify the longer commute M-F and prefer the (relatively) better reliability of Metro North to NJ Transit.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:01 AM

830 posts, read 1,098,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a mention of Pelham.
Great location-wise but the downtown leaves a lot to be desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County