Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 09:37 AM

29 posts, read 19,244 times

Advertisements

Westchester county is approaching one million in population and it can no longer afford to be car centric or else it will remain backward and will continously be called "upstate".

The area has potential to become a tech hub in its own right and New Rochelle, White Plains, and Yonkers could become the Arlington, VA of NYC or the Raleigh/Durham Triangle of NYC.

One way and the cheapest is to implement a light rail system and building transit oriented neighborhoods that have walkability and some green space. No underground tunneling would be required. The purpose is NOT to get to Manhattan since Metro-North already handles that, but for people not to constantly rely on their cars.

The current Beeline bus system is trash because it is a bus and runs on the same roads as the cars run and even if BRT is done, then it is not as fast as light rail. Buses should only act as supplementals.

The second option is Westchester becomes the sixth boro of NYC or at least Southern Westchester from White Plains and points south become a sixth borough. This would then require expansion of NYC subway and underground tunneling and possibly elevated track.

Also, anyone that thinks we need more lanes or more highways is a moron and should be forced out of the NYC metro area and forced to live in rural parts of Oklahoma or North Dakota where they can drive their cars as much as they please.

The now closed Galleria can be become a major transit center for light rail or the subway system along with building housing and greenspace.

Last edited by Elbowpunch; 04-11-2023 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-11-2023, 10:17 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbowpunch View Post
Westchester county is approaching one million in population and it can no longer afford to be car centric or else it will remain backward and will continously be called "upstate".

The area has potential to become a tech hub in its own right and New Rochelle, White Plains, and Yonkers could become the Arlington, VA of NYC or the Raleigh/Durham Triangle of NYC.

One way and the cheapest is to implement a light rail system and building transit oriented neighborhoods that have walkability and some green space. No underground tunneling would be required. The purpose is NOT to get to Manhattan since Metro-North already handles that, but for people not to constantly rely on their cars.

The current Beeline bus system is trash because it is a bus and runs on the same roads as the cars run and even if BRT is done, then it is not as fast as light rail. Buses should only act as supplementals.

The second option is Westchester becomes the sixth boro of NYC or at least Southern Westchester from White Plains and points south become a sixth borough. This would then require expansion of NYC subway and underground tunneling and possibly elevated track.

Also, anyone that thinks we need more lanes or more highways is a moron and should be forced out of the NYC metro area and forced to live in rural parts of Oklahoma or North Dakota where they can drive their cars as much as they please.

The now closed Galleria can be become a major transit center for light rail or the subway system along with building housing and greenspace.
Do people really call Westchester County "Upstate"?

Also, I think this would work better in southern Westchester and perhaps in the River Towns.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do people really call Westchester County "Upstate"?

Also, I think this would work better in southern Westchester and perhaps in the River Towns.
Mainly the people from Long Island and Jersey since many of them are dumb, even though most parts of Westchester can reach Manhattan faster than most parts of NJ or Long Island.

But yes, I would consider the river towns and the towns along the sound. Basically, think of a triangle bisecting the middle with White Plains being the top point of that triange. That should the entire route of the line. North central parts of Westchester still are kinda semi-rural so there is no need for the line to go there for now.

The best affects from this are less stress, less drunk driving, and less road rage. It may not eliminate cars but it can drastically reduce them. The idea is not to be Manhattan but to be more like Brooklyn lite or Queens lite.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:34 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:

A hard no to all of this. And the premise is false. Westchester is not "backward" and very few people refer to it as "upstate", and for those that do, who cares, it is just a word that means nothing.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
A hard no to all of this. And the premise is false. Westchester is not "backward" and very few people refer to it as "upstate", and for those that do, who cares, it is just a word that means nothing.
You give a hard no which reflects a low iq because you are the type of person the NYC metro area doesn't need. People like you have held this region back for years and it's time you get deported since we want to be European and not some slum country with cars all over the place. Like I said, there are tons of places further upstate in NY or out in Oklahoma where you can drive your car and not see people on trains. Just so you know, adding lanes never solved traffic in the history of the world, but that it is too complex for someone like you.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:25 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:

Let me first say, that if any elected Westchester official wanted to join the wasteful corrupt style of government that is NYC, the person suggesting it would be voted out of office the next election. Such an idea is revolting. I do not understand why any human being would want to live in that city. Instead, I found an opportunity to live in Westchester, where I can get to the City, but not live in it. why would I want overcrowded and poor schools, additional income tax, and more wasteful spending.

Now, the notion that Westchester county can no longer afford to be car centric is ridiculous. Of course it can. But someone who thinks "upstate" is an insult will simply never understand this. .

Suggesting TODs and light rail in an area that already has a million people and property values higher than any other county in the United States also shows a lack of understanding. While TODs can be shoehorned in to some areas and slowly developed, its not in southern westchester. That is, unless you support stealing land from people, which I again suspect would get you tossed out of any elected position.

The current Beeline bus system is a spoke system designed for a few central hubs. Its not trash because it is a bus and runs on the same roads as the cars run. Its just not a comprehensive system, because it does not need to be.

Anyone that thinks we need to steal land from taxpaying citizens to spend more money to build outdated light rails (did you live in Portland in the 90s or something, light rails, really?) is a moron and should be forced out of the NYC metro area and forced to develop in rural parts of Oklahoma or North Dakota where they can just build whatever they want and not have to deal with things like existing human owners of land.

The now closed Galleria will be demolished and more home options where people in various incomes levels and life situations can live and work from their home, age in place, raise families, enjoy single life, and walk to existing transit, use shared cars, and enjoy life.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:42 PM

96 posts, read 35,618 times
I think NYC already has enough boroughs.

NYC is walkable. Westchester is car centric. Even with a light rail system Westchester is still car centric.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Let me first say, that if any elected Westchester official wanted to join the wasteful corrupt style of government that is NYC, the person suggesting it would be voted out of office the next election. Such an idea is revolting. I do not understand why any human being would want to live in that city. Instead, I found an opportunity to live in Westchester, where I can get to the City, but not live in it. why would I want overcrowded and poor schools, additional income tax, and more wasteful spending.

Now, the notion that Westchester county can no longer afford to be car centric is ridiculous. Of course it can. But someone who thinks "upstate" is an insult will simply never understand this. .

Suggesting TODs and light rail in an area that already has a million people and property values higher than any other county in the United States also shows a lack of understanding. While TODs can be shoehorned in to some areas and slowly developed, its not in southern westchester. That is, unless you support stealing land from people, which I again suspect would get you tossed out of any elected position.

The current Beeline bus system is a spoke system designed for a few central hubs. Its not trash because it is a bus and runs on the same roads as the cars run. Its just not a comprehensive system, because it does not need to be.

Anyone that thinks we need to steal land from taxpaying citizens to spend more money to build outdated light rails (did you live in Portland in the 90s or something, light rails, really?) is a moron and should be forced out of the NYC metro area and forced to develop in rural parts of Oklahoma or North Dakota where they can just build whatever they want and not have to deal with things like existing human owners of land.

The now closed Galleria will be demolished and more home options where people in various incomes levels and life situations can live and work from their home, age in place, raise families, enjoy single life, and walk to existing transit, use shared cars, and enjoy life.
Let me first say, you are clearly not an educated person and you failed math and science. You talk about taking land. Guess what, highways and roads take up more land than light rail or heavy rail. So you clearly don't know anything about engineering and land space availability.

So basically you reap the benefits of NYC but pay zero tax which is common among car people since you leeches off the city and taken in most of the resources. Btw, NYC contributes more in tax to the state and feds than all of Westchester if you want to get technical.

As for "outdated", tell that Japan or Western Europe that are far more advanced and continously advancing their cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILsDRbJpBN8

The reason this country and region is behind is cause of people like you that should forcibly resettled outside of major metro cities. When it comes corrupt, it is people like you that gave the Cuomos practically six terms and spent all the money on your failed Tappan Zee Bridge(should have had Metro-North on it).

You talk about homes and the Galleria, but guess what, they are gonna build tall homes which is about 0.4 miles from the White Plains Station, which I am glad. So I am sure that will make your cringe since that is TOD.

The BeeLine is a bus system with limited capabilities and has outgrown its use. Buses should only remain as supplementals or very short distances.

The fact is one million people cannot all be driving all at once even in an area like Westchester. Light rail alleviates the problem by taking cars and people like you off the road. Like I said, go move out to North Dakota or Oklahoma where your kind belongs. Drive as much as you want. There is even oil rigs too in those states so you got all the gasoline and probably meth you need. I was gonna suggest Houston, but they do have a light rail too in downtown so you would get mad seeing mass transit.

As for schools in Westchester. Only Scarsdale, Larchmont, Harrison, and Pelham are decent. The rest are mediocre and in the same levels of rankings as schools in Appalachia.

Last edited by Elbowpunch; 04-11-2023 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-11-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
I think NYC already has enough boroughs.

NYC is walkable. Westchester is car centric. Even with a light rail system Westchester is still car centric.
NYC is mostly walkable, Westchester is mostly car centric. I never said light rail would make Westchester like Manhattan, but it would move it in the right direction of sustainability.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:56 PM

96 posts, read 35,618 times
I live in Manhattan but honestly all that is needed to be car centric is to live within walking distance to a big grocery store. Walkability scores improve if living in a historical district because there will be a post office and other amenities built in long ago, but the most important aspect is to live within walking distance to a grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County