Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 10,408 times

Advertisements

We're a family moving to NY from Copenhagen, Denmark.
Since our children are 2 and 4 years old, both girls, we're looking at children friendly locations. A Good school system is a key issue, as well as cultural diversity
So far we've been over looking in Chappaqau and Katonah, Westchester and around Northport on Long Island.
To us without knowing the areas, these seems like nice locations

Or what...?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 PM

8 posts, read 21,892 times
Cultural diversity? In the places you mentioned? Northport is mostly white with a few asians mixed in. If you go 5 minutes west to Greenlawn/Huntington you hit the Harborfields district which is "only" about 85% white as of the last I read the statistics in the 90s, or the Huntington district (10-15 minutes west of Northport) which is much more "diverse". 20 minutes west and you hit Cold Spring Harbor which is white and affluent.

5 minutes south of the Northport district is East Northport (sounds odd) and John Glenn HS and it is slightly more diverse than Northport. 15 minutes southeast of Northport you come to the Commack district which is pretty white as well. If you want "diverse" then take a look at the Huntington District (Huntington HS), or South Huntington (Walt Whitman HS).

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2006, 04:19 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,997,299 times
If you want diversity you should go to the Bronx. Why fool around with the suburbs, go for the full diversity experience. Bronx is the home of hip hop culture and you will get a hands on education on what it is like to be around hip hop fans. Why learn about diversity from college text books or have a watered down Suburban experience?

Last edited by samyn on the green; 12-29-2006 at 04:30 PM..

Old 12-29-2006, 04:42 PM

491 posts, read 829,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens View Post
A Good school system is a key issue, as well as cultural diversity
Thanks
Beleive me you dont want your daughters around the filthy 3rd world "cultural diversity" going on in this country these days. Its not like the old days in Brooklyn

-Joe

Old 01-03-2007, 01:20 AM

5 posts, read 46,885 times
If you're looking for a quieter place, beautiful scenery, yet not too far from everything, I would suggest Pine Bush. It is a small town but within driving range to so many places. Schools are one of the top rated districts in the area. I myself went to the schools and of course at the time I hated it but now after being out for 5 years and watching my other relatives come up through the schools, I realize how good the schools really were.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:57 AM

11 posts, read 29,097 times
Why the hell would he want to come with his family from Denmark with his 2 & 4 year olds to experience where hip hop started????
Or at least, why try to sell it to him that way????

Thats the most ridiculous advice i have ever heard!

Old 01-03-2007, 04:16 PM

491 posts, read 829,249 times
AGREED !!!

[url]

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2007 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,997,299 times
They say they wanted diversity, I gave them maximum diversity with the homegrown cultural experience they asked for. Millions of suburban whites have to purchase their hip-hop culture at the mall, in the Bronx these Danes can find their diversity on the corner for free. I bet they will be breaking out the linoleum and doing the caterpillar and backspins in two weeks flat.

What kind of diversity is there in Chappaqau and Katonah, white and whiter.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 AM

11 posts, read 29,097 times
ehm, by looking for diversity i dont think he wanted to start a breakdancing posse

Old 11-30-2008, 04:26 PM

28 posts, read 60,939 times
Hi Jens

We´ re also moving to NYC (Danish family, toddler son 5 yrs), soon. If you want you can Dm or em me, since sharing experiences might be worthwhile.

Best
a Danish mum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County