Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2006, 09:07 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times

Advertisements

Just curious...for the Tri-Staters....IF you are moving OUT of state....is your house for sale? How are the market conditions right now..has it been sitting long....or did it sell easily.

please share your success stories and also your troubles.....

Did you use a relocation company for your move? How did that work out for you...did they sell your house quicker.

We will be a corporate relocation...and never have been thru this..and if things do pan out....

Just want to be realistic on how agressive they will be in selling our house.

Its a 1991 raised ranch...will all the modern upgrades of the newer homes..and in the "best school district" up here....but still the inventory seems a bit high.

Just want to hear the experiences that you are going thru.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2006, 02:25 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls
Just curious...for the Tri-Staters....IF you are moving OUT of state....is your house for sale? How are the market conditions right now..has it been sitting long....or did it sell easily.

please share your success stories and also your troubles.....

Did you use a relocation company for your move? How did that work out for you...did they sell your house quicker.

We will be a corporate relocation...and never have been thru this..and if things do pan out....

Just want to be realistic on how agressive they will be in selling our house.

Its a 1991 raised ranch...will all the modern upgrades of the newer homes..and in the "best school district" up here....but still the inventory seems a bit high.

Just want to hear the experiences that you are going thru.
We are going thru a corporate relo as well. Our contract states that if we don't sell our house in 120 days thru the real estate agency they assigned us, then they would buy our house. So if you are in a similar scenario, you better believe that they are aggressive and put a lot of pressure on the agents to sell your house. Otherwise, they now have a house that they don't want and don't want to assume liability for. We've had our house on the market for about a month now. It's listed in diamond condition and in a very highly rated school district. We already got 2 offers but they are lowball ones. That's what you are going to run into. It's a buyer's market and they are trying to get the most of a house for the least amount of money and there are sellers desperate to move so they will accept lower offers. Where do u live? We live on Long Island. Here's a forwarning....hope you handle stress well. If not, find something that will help you ease your stress because the games are just about to begin.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:03 PM

LOL--well we will now by next wednesday if the company will make a firm offer. But I read the relo paperwork and it didnt say anything that if things dont pan out then they will "buy" our house. They verbiage that I am reading is that they will pay the commision, closing costs, the marketing, showing and all the other things associated with selling...BUT it doesnt say that if your home isnt in contract and sold..then they will assume it.

I wonder if that can be negotiated....personally, I would rather the relo company just assume the house from the beginning and not be bothered with it.

We live dutchess...When you say "lo ball"....what do you mean...like 70k below your asking price or something...we bought our home before the boom...so either way..we are going to make out...however I guess the stress is how greedy we are going to be....(do I hear..deal or no deal?")

Old 06-21-2006, 05:14 PM

33 posts, read 196,359 times
I was told buyers pay the closing costs, is that true? When I sell my house will I have closing costs to pay? Also, is anyone going with Foxtons as far as an agency because they only get 3%? I can't stand the thought of paying anyone 6% of anything!! I need every penny of this sale. We still have to get our house readyaint, new kitchen floor, etc and Monday I leave for a two week vacation to Fla. so when I come back we gotta get busy! But we haven't thought about which real estate company yet but I told my husband I'm not giving that much commission to anyone! Any thoughts on the subject?

Old 06-21-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
LOL--well we will now by next wednesday if the company will make a firm offer. But I read the relo paperwork and it didnt say anything that if things dont pan out then they will "buy" our house. They verbiage that I am reading is that they will pay the commision, closing costs, the marketing, showing and all the other things associated with selling...BUT it doesnt say that if your home isnt in contract and sold..then they will assume it.

I wonder if that can be negotiated....personally, I would rather the relo company just assume the house from the beginning and not be bothered with it.

We live dutchess...When you say "lo ball"....what do you mean...like 70k below your asking price or something...we bought our home before the boom...so either way..we are going to make out...however I guess the stress is how greedy we are going to be....(do I hear..deal or no deal?")
Once a firm offer is made, you should speak with the relo person who will be handling/assisting with the sale of your home. Even though there was a lot of info stipulated in our contract, all the finite details were covered in another document, so that's definitely a question to ask. And as much as it would be easier for the relo company to take the house, think of it from their perspective. They don't want to have possession of a house; they would rather let the real estate company try and sell it to a potential buyer. It's more liability for the relo company to assume the house, because then they would want to offload it quickly and may have to take a loss on it which they don't want to do.

We bought our house 8 years ago and it has more than doubled in equity (crazy market these days). Anyway, we would make out with our deal as well but because it's a buyer's market do not be surprised if you get lowball offers even if your house is in diamond condition. We had one offer that came in 25k below list price (and by the way we did not inflate our list price, we priced it to sell). Then we had another offer that was 50k below list price. At first I was getting mad that people would actually think they can get my house for these low offers, but think of it this way. Buyers don't know how desperate sellers are, so if a seller hasn't gotten any offers for a long time and John Doe makes an offer of 50-70k below list price, the seller may decide to accept. Buyers have nothing to lose by making an offer, even if it's a ridiculous one. And in today's market, the seller would probably still make out on the deal. We were advised not to inflate the price because that would put us in the same pool as the other sellers; there is a huge inventory of homes on the market, so there needs to be a reason why your home would stand out amongst the glut of homes on the market, and it's usually the price. Here's a perfect example. There is another house about a mile from mine that is on the market. It's the same style house, same number of bedrooms, but they do not have a closet in their master bedroom (have no clue why), but on the other hand, they have a kitchen upstairs and downstairs whereas I only have 1. But then again, my kitchen is more modern than hers/his. Their asking price is 40k above my asking price. So I get a phone call from my agent's office telling me that another real estate agency has a client that is interested in seeing the house. So I said sure and I met them at my house. I didn't say anything in front of them, but I had recognized that the client was the owner of this other house and she was with her listing agent. I let them do their thing and when they left I called my agent and told him what had happened. He told me that they probably did that so that her agent could show her the competition she has and to try and talk her into lowering her price (and based on the market and her home she probably did list it a bit higher). So it all comes down to what you have and how much you are trying to sell it for. It's not going to be fun and it can be very stressful, but I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn193
I was told buyers pay the closing costs, is that true? When I sell my house will I have closing costs to pay? Also, is anyone going with Foxtons as far as an agency because they only get 3%? I can't stand the thought of paying anyone 6% of anything!! I need every penny of this sale. We still have to get our house readyaint, new kitchen floor, etc and Monday I leave for a two week vacation to Fla. so when I come back we gotta get busy! But we haven't thought about which real estate company yet but I told my husband I'm not giving that much commission to anyone! Any thoughts on the subject?
Buyers do pay for the majority of closing costs, but both parties still need to hire an attorney, so when you sell your house, you need to pay for an atty. The seller is the one who issues the contract, not the buyer. So your atty would have to put together a contract based on your requirements. We're using Prudential only because the relo company assigned them to us (relo companies generally have negotiated agreements with an exclusive real estate agency). Prudential does charge a 6% commission but you can negotiate that with them. When I had a market analysis done on my home long before my husband got a firm offer, the agent told us that their commission is 6%. I shopped around and found another agency (thru a referral from my job) that was only charging 3-3 1/2%. I called back the woman from Prudential and told her that I had shopped around and she told me that it would not be a problem going down to 3 1/2%. So nothing is set in stone. Now in saying that, I have to say that my agents from Prudential have been wonderful and they are working very hard to try and sell my house. And they are the largest selling real estate companies on Long Island so I guess they do get a lot more potential buyers and much more exposure. So end result is.....negotiate the commission. And one Prudential (or Coach, or whoever) is not the same as another Prudential office so you can negotiate despite what they say. I'm not sure about Foxtons but from what I have seen their listings of homes are not nearly as much as I've seen thru Prudential or Coach (as examples). My guess is that they don't advertise as much, thus reducing the exposure. Shop around. Get a few market analysis done on your home. This way you can compare what each one is telling you as far as what your list price should be. Good Luck!

Old 06-21-2006, 08:03 PM

Well...the way the paperwork is read right now...we dont come up with anything...except anything "unusual" that comes with selling the home..and yes..I will try and negotiate thefee...the company is picking up the tab up to 6%...and I would not have thought of negotiating this as its not my expense, but then again..if I do negotiate it..then its more money in my pocket and I can be a little more aggressive in my sales price I guess.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 PM

33 posts, read 196,359 times
Thanks! How do you get a market analysis done?

Old 06-21-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn193
Thanks! How do you get a market analysis done?
You have to contact a real estate agency and tell them that you'd like one done. But as a word of caution....the first question they will probably ask you is "are you looking to sell your home". If you say no, then the chances of them coming to your house soon is slim to none. They don't want to waste their time if you're not looking to sell. Make sure that the agency does a 'free' market analysis. Some companies do advertise that. When I called to have one done, they asked the million dollar question. I simply told them that we were looking to move out of state and that my husband was looking for employment so we're not looking to list our house until he gets employment established. I also told them that I already had a house in NC that was an investment but would be permanently moving to that home once employement is established. I said that because I didn't want them to know that I needed to sell my house in order to buy one. Sometimes they think that's a reason for them to think that you're desperate to sell and may try and talk you down on the list price. Remember, there are a glut of homes on the market so if they can sell 10 that are below fair market value rather than being amongst the glut, then they'll try and talk you down.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Well...the way the paperwork is read right now...we dont come up with anything...except anything "unusual" that comes with selling the home..and yes..I will try and negotiate thefee...the company is picking up the tab up to 6%...and I would not have thought of negotiating this as its not my expense, but then again..if I do negotiate it..then its more money in my pocket and I can be a little more aggressive in my sales price I guess.
To be quite honest, I don't think that negotiating would make a difference in your situation. Our relo company is picking up the tab for our commission which is 6% so to us, selling it close to or higher than the list price would give us more money in our pocket, despite what the commission is. Take a look at MLS to see how many homes in your area are on the market. That's a good idea of what your competition is and what you should list your house for. Also, a friend suggested this to me, which I have done, and would suggest to you. Go to any of the scheduled open houses for homes in your area. Sometimes MLS doesn't do the homes justice with just the photos. You need to see the homes in person to get a real appreciation of what you have and what you're competing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: