Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:40 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times

Advertisements

Well... last summer sucked. We had plenty of 90's with a lot of humidity, it seemed like we had daily afternoon thunderstoms. I felt like I was melting. I think its a trend thats here to stay for a while judging by how hot it already is this year. Its like we keep skipping spring and fall and going from summer to winter now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Ship,

Yes, weather statistics show that Asheville experiences very few days at 90 degrees or higher.

Right now, I live in Hiawassee, GA, which is at a lower altitude than Asheville and we rarely see a day that hits 90 degrees. The vast majority of our summer days are in the 80s. We only hit 90 a few days.

I also used to live in Dallas, TX and we could have more than 80 days of summer over 100 degrees.

Afternoon temperatures in the 80s are uncomfortable, but it's not Texas or Florida! Not by a long shot. And I hope you aren't going by last summer because it was one of the hottest on record nearly everywhere. I've lived in the area for 10 years and it was my worst summer here ever.

Too bad you don't live in Cashiers or Highlands. Or the high country north of Asheville. Their summer temperatures are in the 70s.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM

358 posts, read 983,291 times
Haha, wow, now I'm really curious to see if I can find these mythical "70s in summer" areas of WNC.

Unless you're on top of Grandfather Mountain, that sounds a little far fetched.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Well... last summer sucked. We had plenty of 90's with a lot of humidity, it seemed like we had daily afternoon thunderstoms. I felt like I was melting. I think its a trend thats here to stay for a while judging by how hot it already is this year. Its like we keep skipping spring and fall and going from summer to winter now.
Hi Saucy,

I posted my comment and didn't know you had posted. Yes, last summer sucked. It was by far the worst I've experienced.

My comment is based on all the previous summers. And yeah, I hope last summer's higher than usual heat isn't going to be a permanent thing.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
Haha, wow, now I'm really curious to see if I can find these mythical "70s in summer" areas of WNC.

Temperature depends on altitude. Cashiers and Highlands are at a much higher altitude than Asheville. They are also in a rain forest.

You can look it up for yourself.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM

10 posts, read 34,624 times
I am in the opposite position (grew up outside of Boone and live in Atlanta now) and what you have heard for the most part is pretty accurate. While it can get very hot some days it usually is not very noticeable due to a pretty constant breeze and the ample supply of shade. If you are for whatever reason hiking in the direct sun though it can get hot but it will never be the same dry heat you experience in Atlanta.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:05 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post

Not Grandfather Mtn, but we do enjoy those 'mythical "70s in summer" 'at our Mtn Joint on the ridge of Eagles Nest Mtn, above Waynesville.
Last summer, the warmest we have noticed in the almost 10 years here, we saw several days of 77-78 in the shade.

Yes, we are at nearly 5,000 ft, but there are quite of few of us at that altitude, strung around the mtns of western NC.

C'mon up and sit on our deck, this summer!
GL, mD

Old 10-14-2011, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 14,816 times
I live in Alabama. And there's never a day in June, July or August when I can get up early enough to *not* be a puddle of sweat halfway through a two mile walk.
I've come to realize that if the temps go below 70 degrees at night, early morning walks can be bearable. And even afternoon highs of 90 can be pleasant if spent on a porch swing with a big glass of water.
Are there many summer nights like that in Asheville?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:03 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
I'd personally never want to live where it only got into the 70's in the summer. The months from late Oct - late March are freezing, and then only getting into the 70's in the summer? I could barely get into a pool if the high were only 77 degrees!

Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 14,816 times
I like 70 degree highs. But that's not what I mean. I want to live in a place where the temps regularly dip below 70 on summer *nights*.
Night-time lows don't start dipping below 70 until mid- to late- September here, usually. And that sucks.
But I'm looking at weather stats, and it looks like y'all get way below 70 at night in the summer. That is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina