Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 PM

9 posts, read 53,289 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Atlanta and currently live in downtown Atlanta. I like all types of people, have moderate political views in general and am very liberal on social issues such as gay rights, etc. I love live music and laid back bars and think hippies are GREAT! I also need to have gourmet restaurants and some level of sophistication if needed.

I am in the interactive marketing and advertising field and have five years of experience and will need to make between $55,000 - $70,000 to live comfortably. Is this possible in Asheville? The housing market is acutally more expensive in Asheville than Atlanta I have noticed.

Homeless people and "weirdos" as some other people in this forum have mentioned do not bother me. Try visiting Little Five Points in Atlanta or driving around downtown ATL at night. I hate how congested Atlanta has become and want to live in a moderate sized city, with lots of outdoor options, good restuarants and liberal views. Do you think I should move to Asheville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 03:16 PM

958 posts, read 2,621,005 times
I'd say yes, outside of the salary you require. Jobs in that field here would be few and far between, and in that salary, even less likely. I think you'd like it here and I am not saying it's impossible, but this area is not known for it's professional job availability or decent salaries. Definitely do some research on the job front.

We're moving out of the area when the school year is out. My job situation (software) is precarious here, and I've just found a new job in Spartanburg which pays 20% more and gives me much more stability. I'll commute for the time being and then move down there when school is over. Much more home for the money down in the GSP area as well, plus we'll still be close to the mountains. I guess what I'm getting at is that you need to have a backup plan jobwise here in Asheville. Rather than get laid off, which is possible where I'm at now, and struggle to find a new job here, which almost certainly would pay less than I make now, I was proactive and found a job elsewhere. The job situation here is lousy, outside of medical and service/tourism related positions.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,095 times
I came here from Gwinnett Co. in '04. I would suggest looking for employment in your field before committing to a decision about moving here. Some can make it here, others not. I have a pretty decent job, in my field, -- it took me 3 years to make what I made before I left Atlanta. BUT, I am okay with that. I would gladly trade the horrible traffic, increasing crime and fast lane life of Atlanta for what I have now - nice people, a slower pace, with beautiful scenery that doesn't promote hurrying past with one's head down.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Atlanta area - but I had just had enough and wanted to find a better pace, a sweeter life... I have found it here. I am not in Asheville itself (it's a little more expensive there) but just over the county line to the west. I don't think I could afford to live in Asheville, and besides, the views here in Haywood County are spectacular.

There are plenty of restaurants for your liking here in the Asheville area, lots of music, plenty of diversity. There's just something about the mountains that is so peaceful and attractive to me. I pulled up stakes and moved here - I still have miles to go before I retire... I have never once regretted coming here.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out best for you.

Last edited by jbird22; 09-27-2007 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-27-2007, 01:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
You better bring your job with you, you won't find one that pays that well here, and you will need every bit of it to afford a nice place to live.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. Asheville Native, I am curious - do you not want anyone else to move to Asheville? I actually spoke to a long time Asheville resident today that thought my online marketing versus traditonal marketing experience would give me a competitive edge in finding a job and there are several interactive marketing and advertising companies in the area. Perhaps, a head hunter would be a good idea.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
No, actually since you are not one of the hoards of arrogant yankee's colonizing the backwoods of the mountains, you are welcome, just some sage advice. But if Atlanta is what you are trying to escape, you won't find it here, as the sprawl, traffic, pollution, etc. that plagues Atlanta and other large southern cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, is becoming reality here at an alarming rate.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Asheville Native

I appreciate your advice, however, I highly doubt Asheville will ever be close to the congestion level of Atlanta. Atlanta has 5.1 million people and Asheville and the surrounding areas have approx. 250,000. That's a population difference of over 5 million people, not to mention that Atlanta traffic ranks 2nd worst in the country behind LA. For example, I live 15 miles from my job and it takes me almost two hours to get home on a friday afternoon and that's if I leave at 4pm. So, I highly doubt it could even compare! The world population and the U.S population are growing every year, so almost every city in the country is going to grow and expand, especially since poeple are living longer. I do think Asheville will provide me with everything I am looking for and if not, I can always move home.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:52 PM

57 posts, read 267,772 times
I lived in Asheville for 3 years and recently had to move to Atlanta due to jobs. The job market here in Asheville is just really really tricky. I feel that if you want to make it in Asheville with a decent lifestyle, then you should have an entrepreneurial mindset to possibly have your own business. I try all the time to find a good job to allow me to move back up here, but thus far (2 years & going) I have not had luck. I am in the accounting & finance field, too, which I think is quite marketable.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:50 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
arrogant yankee's colonizing the backwoods of the mountains,
As opposed to the arrogant locals who act as though god personally deeded the Mountains for only your enjoyment?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:02 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
As opposed to the arrogant locals who act as though god personally deeded the Mountains for only your enjoyment?
there's arrogant people everywhere...doesn't matter where ya go. Asheville probably has a higher percentage of arrogant people moving here but there's arrogant locals here too. As for the job market...you mean there's a job market here? hahaha. Not to discourage anyone moving here but the job market really sucks here for most professions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina