Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 AM

52 posts, read 113,409 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

My husband and I would like to move to the mountains somewhere in NC, East TN, Northern SC or Southern WV...But we are really looking into NC.

We're from FL and the constant heat and humidity, plus unemployment and high cost of living is just about enough for us. We prefer mountains anyhow.

We're just starting out and looking for a mountain area that my husband can find a job at. He's working at a marketing company now designing and coding websites. My mom is a medical receptionist and we need a place for her too.
I work from home as a freelance artist so I am okay, but they need this.

We're also looking for a lot less traffic and hustle and bustle and crazy busy life.

Another thing is a decent cost of living. Just to rent a one bedroom apartment here is about 800.00 a month!

I am sure there are churches all over.

We just want to be in driving distance to most places we need to go..Post office, grocery, Staples or Kinkos... live in or very visibly near mountains, and have jobs.

Also a place with all four seasons, mild though. No 12 inch snow. Is this possible? Any advice?

We've been looking at Black Mt., Boone, Mt. Airy, Waynesville....

Help please!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikim36 View Post
Hello everyone.

My husband and I would like to move to the mountains somewhere in NC, East TN, Northern SC or Southern WV...But we are really looking into NC.

We're from FL and the constant heat and humidity, plus unemployment and high cost of living is just about enough for us. We prefer mountains anyhow.

We're just starting out and looking for a mountain area that my husband can find a job at. He's working at a marketing company now designing and coding websites. My mom is a medical receptionist and we need a place for her too.

We're also looking for a lot less traffic and hustle and bustle and crazy busy life.

Another thing is a decent cost of living. Just to rent a one bedroom apartment here is about 800.00 a month!

We just want to be in driving distance to most places we need to go..Post office, grocery, Staples or Kinkos... live in or very visibly near mountains, and have jobs.

Also a place with all four seasons, mild though. No 12 inch snow. Is this possible? Any advice?

Help please!

Thanks!!!
Are you looking to purchase a home, or rent a home or apartment? And you need to state a price range. If you believe that $800 a month for rent in FL is too much, then honesly I doubt you will find anything suitable here in the mountains for three adults, which most likely means 3 bedrooms. Nice apartments are going to be $950 and upward, with about $1200 being the average in any desireable town for 3 bedrooms.

Also, if you have never been here, you need to come and look are these areas you mention; and get up either with a Realtor or a property management company, or scour the classified ads in newspapers. Craig's List "might" be an option, but be careful of scams on there. It will at least give you an idea of cost of rent. And, yes, we do get snow here and plenty of ice storms. Maybe not a 12" snowstorm at once, but 5 or 6" at a time is not unusual. Driving on mountain roads in the winter can be very dangerous as well. The job market in the mountains is almost as dangerous as the snow and ice.... there is high unemployment here too. The only area of growth near the mountains is in Greenville South Carolina (which is in the mountain foothills), plenty of opportunities there, you might want to redirect your criteria to the Greenville/Spartanburg South Carolina topic on this forum.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:36 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Help please!

Thanks!!!
For affordability Mt. Airy is your best bet of the places you mentioned

I'm just not sure you are going to find a job for your husband there.

However, you could easily live in Mt. Airy and have him commute to Winston Salem. It's about a 30 minute commute down a 4 lane road and there is even a commuter bus service so he wouldn't necessarily have to drive it every day. Winston Salem is a large city so his chances of a job there are much better.

There is also a large hospital with surrounding doctors practices for your mom to potentially find a job.

Northern Hospital | Home

I love Mt. Airy myself. While it is not "in" the mountains you see them as a backdrop. And a 10 minute ride up hwy 52 has you driving straight up them into Fancy Gap.

Let me know on dm if there are other questions I can answer for you!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Loves Mountains, thank you so much for your kindness and information!

30 minutes is not too far. Right now it takes him an hour to get home.

We want to take a trip but with limited time, we need to narrow down some places. That is obviously the wisest thing right now.

My mother isn't living with us. Looking to rent and apartment, possibly one bedroom that is why I stated the price for a one bedroom here...

Might be looking to buy a home if he gets a job. But that is down the road, don't want to get with a Realtor yet.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Loves Mountains, thank you so much for your kindness and information!

30 minutes is not too far. Right now it takes him an hour to get home.

We want to take a trip but with limited time, we need to narrow down some places. That is obviously the wisest thing right now.

My mother isn't living with us. Looking to rent and apartment, possibly one bedroom that is why I stated the price for a one bedroom here...

Might be looking to buy a home if he gets a job. But that is down the road, don't want to get with a Realtor yet.

You can get two bedroom apts in Mt. Airy for between $500 and 700. It's just a more affordable part of the state than the very tourist driven areas of western NC where Asheville and Black Mountain are

Plus, in western NC Asheville is the largest city to look for work in, but it's still relatively small (about 75,000 people). You could try Greenville, SC if you wanted to stay on that end of the state as it is larger than Asheville and has a better job market. But Mt. Airy is a great solution with Winston Salem being so much larger and within easy commuting distance.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM

I have to be honest, Asheville is not really where we want to go. There don't seem to be any jobs for my husband as well.

How far is Greenville from Mt. Airy?

That is a good price for apartments. I had been looking and that seems to be the most common price range there. We are considered being in a lower income complex and it's about 900-1,000 for a two bedroom with washer, dryer, and the ac in the summer. That is a little crazy...We can just get a home...

How are the winters in Mt. Airy? We definately want all four seasons and summer that don't last as long as they do here, preferably less heat and humidity. But don't know how well Floridians like us would do in lots of snow and ice.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:35 PM

332 posts, read 1,430,593 times
Quote:
I have to be honest, Asheville is not really where we want to go. There don't seem to be any jobs for my husband as well.

That is a good price for apartments. I had been looking and that seems to be the most common price range there. We are considered being in a lower income complex and it's about 900-1,000 for a two bedroom with washer, dryer, and the ac in the summer. That is a little crazy...We can just get a home...

How are the winters in Mt. Airy? We definately want all four seasons and summer that don't last as long as they do here, preferably less heat and humidity. But don't know how well Floridians like us would do in lots of snow and ice.

I'm not from Mt Airy or Greenville, so take what I have to say with the knowledge that I've lived near them both for most of my life and have close friends from each... but I'm not a resident.

Based on what you've told me, I really think Greenville, SC may be a better fit for you. The Upstate of SC has changed so much in the last decade... and in a positive way. I spent a few years working in employment counseling during the transition from mill/manufacturing to newer technology jobs and it was rocky. However, they have recovered nicely.

Greenville, in particular, has put a lot of effort into revitalizing their local economy and supporting their community. They've had some pitfalls (lost a baseball team and a hockey team) but are trying to bounce back (got some new, but different, teams). The weather is much more suitable and they rarely, if ever, get 12 inches of snow.

NC, Mt Airy included, has random winters. I know Surry County was included in some of the bigger snows the last two years. They are more limited in what to offer as far as job opportunities. Just this week, CNN did a piece on Mt Airy and how their primary industry is tourism. (My best friend is from Mt Airy and he immediately sent me the link.) I don't know much about other things going on.

The upstate, however, hosts a few large, multi national companies and their contracted companies. There are 2 large hospital systems and several smaller hospitals. Clemson is down the road a bit with some options for tech work. USC has a campus in Spartanburg and there are other colleges in that town as well (I attended one).

Greenville's rents will be slightly steeper than Mt Airy but not by much if you don't have to live in town.

Again, these are just my opinions. I love Mt Airy, it's very similar to my hometown, but for the things you mentioned, I'd wonder if Greenville is a better fit.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Thanks so much for your input. It all really helps us narrow down...Are there any good cabin rentals to stay in if we took a trip over there?

Old 05-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Greenville and Mt Airy are hours apart - maybe 3.5? However, you could certainly see both areas on a visit it that's what you are trying to figure out

Greenville is much larger than Mt. Airy and does have a lot going on. Just know you won't be in the mountains there, and will have to drive further to reach them than you would from Mt. Airy.

Snow in NC can be iffy. When snow storms sweep from Atlanta up toward Charlotte that's when Greenville will get snow, but that does not happen every year.

Mt. Airy weather is more closely associated with what happens in southern Virginia or at least the upper section of NC, from the western mountains in Boone over toward Roanoke, so they do see snow every year. However, total for a year in Mt. Airy probably wouldn't exceed 10-12 inches ALL winter, if that much.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:36 AM

So, is Greenville a good place to find cabin rentals?

Is there a Greenville SC AND NC?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-13-2011 at 10:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina