Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Historically in the black part of town, long before the MLK and South Charlotte were built, it was off of what was Vally St., (now just a dead end behind the jail) and was the eastern side of the black business district, which existed primarily between Biltimore Ave, east to Vally St. The black neighborhood was east of Vally St. to Beaucatcher Mountain.

"Urban renewal" made major changes to the whole area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 03:10 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Historically in the black part of town, long before the MLK and South Charlotte were built, it was off of what was Vally St., (now just a dead end behind the jail) and was the eastern side of the black business district, which existed primarily between Biltimore Ave, east to Vally St. The black neighborhood was east of Vally St. to Beaucatcher Mountain.

"Urban renewal" made major changes to the whole area.
I would have to say it still is the black part of town... I lived in the area for a year.

If you are buying it to build an apartment. Be aware there are condos and an apartment up the mountain on Alexander dr.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:36 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Thanks Asheville Native. Also, thank you saucystargazer.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I would have to say it still is the black part of town... I lived in the area for a year.

If you are buying it to build an apartment. Be aware there are condos and an apartment up the mountain on Alexander dr.
I'm pretty sure those are individual investors who bought condo's and rent them out or own them and that the other apartment complex is over 30 years old.

It just seems kinda odd that there isn't more already in that area seeing that its location is prime for views, Mission, AB Tech and Memorial.

One challenge to the area seems to be grocery store location and parking from talking with a few folks that live in the area.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 AM

There's a grocery store not even a mile way just after the tunnel on tunnel rd.
I think the reason for lack of investors is the fact that it doesn't have a reputation for being a good area. It is changing a little, for example there were some really nice condos that went up on Alexander dr but they took forever to sell (if they ever did?). They were also really expensive so I don't blame someone for not wanting to buy them in that area.

I'm not sure the location you pointed out actually has any views or if its still in the valley so that could be a factor too. Its much easier to get people to rent by selling it on views of downtown. .

Old 07-02-2011, 10:12 AM

There is a grocery store there but from what I hear it's small.

It has very nice views of downtown. It sits up on a hill. It's currently beside the city's Purchasing Divison.

But it's also right beside a park.

In other words it's in the middle of everything.

54 Hunt Hill Place, Asheville, NC - Google Maps

Old 07-03-2011, 08:07 PM

No. The Ingles on tunnel road is huge and only a few years old.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
No. The Ingles on tunnel road is huge and only a few years old.
Okay. I didn't have a chance to check it out today as was planned. I just feel grocery stores are critical to development. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Compliance with Comprehensive Plan: The Hunt Hill Apartments project supports the following goals of
the City of Asheville’s comprehensive plan, the Asheville City Development Plan 2025:
 The goal of pursuing compatible infill development.
 The goal of promoting the use of green building techniques.
 The goal of permitting more intense development and density in areas with appropriate
infrastructure.
 The goal of providing affordable housing.
http://www.ashevillenc.gov/Portals/0...ill%20Apts.pdf

http://www.ashevillenc.gov/Portals/0...2_HuntHill.pdf

Quote:
Harris Teeter is moving ahead with plans to build a new store on Merrimon Avenue that should open next summer.
Harris Teeter will sell one Asheville store, open another | Black Mountain News | blackmountainnews.com

Quote:
McCormick Field is built into the side of of a hill and is surrounded by trees, making this a unique and charming place to take in a game. Although the field itself dates back to 1924, the grandstand was completely rebuilt before the 1992 season.
http://www.ashevillenc.gov/Departmen...mickField.aspx

Quote:
Memorial Stadium 32 Buchanan Place, Asheville, NC 28801
Memorial Stadium was built in 1925 as a regional athletic and special event facility.
Current sport users of the stadium include:
  • Asheville Youth Sports
  • Asheville Ultimate Frisbee
  • Asheville Grizzlies (men’s football)
  • Asheville Bears (men’s football)
  • Asheville Assault (women’s football)
  • Asheville Buncombe Youth Soccer Association
Quote:
Mountainside Park

55 Hunt Hill Place, Asheville, NC 28801
The park is located on Hunt Hill St. in central Asheville.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-09-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina