Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM

440 posts, read 1,092,759 times

Advertisements

so we are still in Limbo with the Buy Out of our flooded property. In negotiations and some other behind the scenes stuff that is causing delays. But........ God is in control & fighting our battles. If it drags out into next year. That will be rough. If the buy out happens in 2012... I will have to rent for year before I relocate as it will be my son's senior year. Maybe this is God's way of telling us to wait until he finishes High School anyway..?
.........soo......... we NEED a break. I am going to surprise my hubby with a visit to NC Mid week Oct. for a week..maybe 2. We will be in Beech Mountain and Boone areas. What would you suggest for FUN? Are there Festivals you would suggest we go check out? Restaurants in those areas that we should not miss? We will be trailoring our motorcycles and riding the Blue Ridge Parkway again while there. I know some of you don't care for them... I get that. Not everyone likes the bikes messing with the solitude of the mountains. But it is what it is... and we love our bikes. We'll also take some walks/light hiking with our Puppy Kids (2 Shih Tzus- Ozzy & BeBe). We just want to have fun exploring more of those areas. It it our Anniversary on Oct. 5 & my 45th BD on Oct. 2.........what better way to celebrate then go back to where we left our hearts?..........the Mountains! I appreciate GREATLY any input for around Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk & Beech Mountain. Thanks soooo much! Can't wait!! Donna **REALLLLLYYYY can't wait to get away from this FL heat!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:41 PM

76 posts, read 223,597 times
Default Woolly Worm Festival in Banner Elk

That is coming up soon, the leaves are changing and they are calling for frost this weekend! I am going up to turn on the heat in the house...who knew I would need to do it so early after this hot summer!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 PM

...hhmm.... wondering if it will be to cold to ride by the time we come up? you're thinking heat & we still have to have the ac on! (

Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Leathers, and the usual gear make for fabulous rides this time of year...hard to predict the weather and temps in 'mid October' in Boone, et al, but 60 degs+ make for some fine riding, imo. This isn't FL temps, or flatness-wise, but western NC has some of the best 2 lane blacktops in the east, in my 50+ years of riding opinion.
GL, mD

Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM

I couldn't sleep last night and started researching what we should see & do while there. I am concerned even with "Leathers" it might be a bit to chilly to ride. So... may just be exploring in the car with the Puppy Kids this time.....................

*** any input on what and where.... please let me know! Thanks to you that have already responded! ~*~ Donna

Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedLady View Post
so we are still in Limbo with the Buy Out of our flooded property. In negotiations and some other behind the scenes stuff that is causing delays. But........ God is in control & fighting our battles. If it drags out into next year. That will be rough. If the buy out happens in 2012... I will have to rent for year before I relocate as it will be my son's senior year. Maybe this is God's way of telling us to wait until he finishes High School anyway..?
.........soo......... we NEED a break. I am going to surprise my hubby with a visit to NC Mid week Oct. for a week..maybe 2. We will be in Beech Mountain and Boone areas. What would you suggest for FUN? Are there Festivals you would suggest we go check out? Restaurants in those areas that we should not miss? We will be trailoring our motorcycles and riding the Blue Ridge Parkway again while there. I know some of you don't care for them... I get that. Not everyone likes the bikes messing with the solitude of the mountains. But it is what it is... and we love our bikes. We'll also take some walks/light hiking with our Puppy Kids (2 Shih Tzus- Ozzy & BeBe). We just want to have fun exploring more of those areas. It it our Anniversary on Oct. 5 & my 45th BD on Oct. 2.........what better way to celebrate then go back to where we left our hearts?..........the Mountains! I appreciate GREATLY any input for around Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk & Beech Mountain. Thanks soooo much! Can't wait!! Donna **REALLLLLYYYY can't wait to get away from this FL heat!!
All I know is, you gotta stop and have some pizza and a beer at Beech Mountain's Famous Brick Oven Famous Brick Oven - Beech Mountain NC Italian Restaurant, mini-golf, wine, beer, spirits served

Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
...hhmm.... wondering if it will be to cold to ride by the time we come up? you're thinking heat & we still have to have the ac on! (
We are expecting a bit of a cool blast this weekend, but the skies are supposed to be beautiful! I'd say come prepared for anything. FYI, the leaves are turning early this year and the colors are already nice. Hope you have a great time!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We are expecting a bit of a cool blast this weekend, but the skies are supposed to be beautiful! I'd say come prepared for anything. FYI, the leaves are turning early this year and the colors are already nice. Hope you have a great time!
It may be more towards the end of October that we will be coming. I am trying to confirm on where we are staying right now. Will there still be color changes with the leaves then? I am sure it will be about too cool to ride then......... but that is OK. LOTS of other things we can do.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 PM

118 posts, read 234,978 times
My Husband and I both ride motorcycles too. We recently bought a house in a little town called Buladean, NC. We are only 30 miles from Beech Mountain. OMG, This area is beautiful and motorcycle heaven! We are still riding, although it has gotten cold a few nights! There were flurries on Beech Mountain last weekend. While you are here you need to check out Roan Mountain, Tn. It is beautiful. Bakersville is decorated with scarecrows for Halloween! You can't go wrong anywhere around here. I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
It may be more towards the end of October that we will be coming. I am trying to confirm on where we are staying right now. Will there still be color changes with the leaves then? I am sure it will be about too cool to ride then......... but that is OK. LOTS of other things we can do.
The third week of October is usually the height of the color, so you should still see some

It may be too cool to ride, but you never know! Are you looking for a hotel or house to rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina