Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 07:30 AM

100 posts, read 373,978 times

Advertisements

My family and I have visited Blowing Rock several times over the past couple of years. My question is this...we are looking for some mtn. land or cabin, around Blowing Rock that is developed but still more affordable than Blowing Rock. We live just south of Charlotte, so we are looking to stay within a couple of hours drive.

Any great small towns or areas that you can suggest would be very helpful. I have been told to look in West Jefferson, spruce pine and a couple of others.

We are in our late 30s with two school age children, so close to various activities would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 07:10 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times
Try the Spruce Pine area. If you don't mind not having a view, housing is fairly cheap. The weather's there, even if the view is not.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,562 times
I have 2 suggestions Go on realtor...com and click Blowing Rock and do advanced search and look at all the surrounding areas. Also Homes and Land magazine has an online edition for EVERY area!!!! OMG!!! Lol...you can spend hours looking at properties! Good luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,610 times
West Jefferson/Ashe County advice you got was very good IMO. My wife and I are in our mid-30s with one young child and have now owned a log cabin in northern Ashe County for just over a year. It's about a 50 minute drive to Blowing Rock, but we really don't head down that way very often. West Jefferson has a few decent restaurants, a great coffee shop, and some cool galleries. There are two state parks, lots of water for canoeing/tubing, and quick access to some of the best hiking and biking on the East Coast in the Mt. Rogers Nat'l Rec. Area just 30 min. north across the NC/VA line. The Jeffersons are different from Blowing Rock in that they are still real mountain towns with real mountain people, not a lot of retirees and yuppies from Florida and Charlotte like you find in BR. Another plus for Ashe County is that you can find great cabins and land for a fraction of what you'd pay in and around Blowing Rock. PM me if you have specific questions.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
West Jefferson/Ashe County advice you got was very good IMO. My wife and I are in our mid-30s with one young child and have now owned a log cabin in northern Ashe County for just over a year. It's about a 50 minute drive to Blowing Rock, but we really don't head down that way very often. West Jefferson has a few decent restaurants, a great coffee shop, and some cool galleries. There are two state parks, lots of water for canoeing/tubing, and quick access to some of the best hiking and biking on the East Coast in the Mt. Rogers Nat'l Rec. Area just 30 min. north across the NC/VA line. The Jeffersons are different from Blowing Rock in that they are still real mountain towns with real mountain people, not a lot of retirees and yuppies from Florida and Charlotte like you find in BR. Another plus for Ashe County is that you can find great cabins and land for a fraction of what you'd pay in and around Blowing Rock. PM me if you have specific questions.

shhhhhh....don't give these great secrets away so freely around here!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 PM

222 posts, read 936,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
.....not a lot of retirees and yuppies from Florida and Charlotte like you find in BR.
....yet. Floridians have been buying land there for 20 yrs, btw.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:23 PM

100 posts, read 373,978 times
Thanks. I will probably PM you in the next couple of weeks. See what 3rd quarter finishes like

Old 09-13-2007, 01:51 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
....yet. Floridians have been buying land there for 20 yrs, btw.
Yeah, a couple from Florida bought my grandfather's house in 1974 or 1975.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina