Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 05:08 PM

9 posts, read 56,596 times

Advertisements

We are looking at possibly relocating to this area in a few years. Does anyone have an opnion on the area?

Our main concerns are jobs, school districts and cost of housing. We both work in technical fields (web and graphic design) and are concerned about the job opportunities and income range. We are looking to spend about $300,000-$350,000 on a home. What can we expect to get for that price in that area? We are looking for a small town feel and are willing to commute to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyFLErin View Post
We are looking at possibly relocating to this area in a few years. Does anyone have an opnion on the area?

Our main concerns are jobs, school districts and cost of housing. We both work in technical fields (web and graphic design) and are concerned about the job opportunities and income range. We are looking to spend about $300,000-$350,000 on a home. What can we expect to get for that price in that area? We are looking for a small town feel and are willing to commute to work.
I really cannot imagine commuting anywhere to work from Banner Elk! It's WAYYYYYY up there on the mountain in the middle of nowhere - which is why so many of us love it But to try to leave it every day to go to work, or to even find a technical job anywhere near it, I cannot picture that. Boone is a college town, so maybe you could find something at the university, but other than that, not much in the way of technical jobs there. Possibly you could ride hwy 421 over to Wilkesboro (about 45 miles away) and find something, though that is not a hot bed for technology jobs either. As far a living in Blowing Rock or Boone, real estate is through the roof. Many homes there are vacation homes for wealthier people, including many snow birds from Florida. Though if you did manage to find something in your range, again I'm not sure where you would find jobs. From either you could travel down the mountain on hwy 321 to Hickory and possibly find something. Best of luck, but trying to live and work in a vacation desination can be difficult.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:48 PM

51 posts, read 191,220 times
If you go to the North Carolina Employment Security Commission website (The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina) and enter in Watauga/Ashe/Avery counties, you will see all the job postings for that area. Right now, there is a job posting for a web designer as well as an information tech mgr, both of which are in Boone.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:40 PM

13 posts, read 84,038 times
I remember a couple of years ago when I was in Banner Elk and needed to stop by a local vet to get my dog a vaccine. There were about 4 or 5 other persons in the office with their pets. When I said to the receptionist that I was from Florida, well...... so was everyone else!! Absolutely everyone. Beautiful place though. Now, if you go west, just across the Tennessee borderline (just a few miles, past Elk Pk), you will arrive at the tiny, but pretty, "town" of Roan Mtn. You could continue on to Elizabeton for work, but I did notice quite a few foreclosures there, which does speak for the economic status. You know, there are SO many pretty places in WNC to choose from. Of you spend so much time commuting, you won't get to enjoy what you came there for. Trust me, I know. You an still choose practical, AND have beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina