Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Then we relocated up this way.

We already knew from looking that jobs were plentiful and there weren't a lot of good paying jobs...but it is pretty funny to see the same job in this area paying $3-$6/hour less.

Good thing we don't need much money up here.

All that said,we like it here much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
We moved the opposite direction for jobs and my fiance is making double. I'm making 4x (I'm actually in a job that uses my degrees vs. working in a restaurant...which was the only job I was able to find for over 2 years).

Old 01-12-2012, 08:38 AM

Well....you have to live in SC then...

Money isn't everything.

Well it is to Americans it seems.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Money isn't everything ... until you don't have any.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Actually it isn't everything...we are both currently unemployed,we have some money saved,but are quite happy.

What the problem with most people is,they like owning 'stuff'...and that 'stuff' requires them to work a lot....which gives them little time to enjoy their lives.

But hey,it is their life to waste working.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:24 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Nonsensical, in the real world, imo.

We worked our fannies off, saved like squirrels, lived well below our considerable means, and bailed to early retirement, in our early 50s
a decade ago.

But, everyone has their own bag.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
Quote:
What the problem with most people is,they like owning 'stuff'...and that 'stuff' requires them to work a lot....which gives them little time to enjoy their lives.

Don't be so quick to judge. We were just starting out and trying to make it in one of the worst economic times ever. I didn't have a choice. We couldn't afford to eat in WNC after my fiance got laid off. I hate SC and am plotting my escape but I also have to eat and unfortunately pay my student loans. We just ended up in Greenville by chance. Its where we got our first job offers even after applying ALL over the country.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Don't be so quick to judge. We were just starting out and trying to make it in one of the worst economic times ever. I didn't have a choice. We couldn't afford to eat in WNC after my fiance got laid off. I hate SC and am plotting my escape but I also have to eat and unfortunately pay my student loans. We just ended up in Greenville by chance. Its where we got our first job offers even after applying ALL over the country.
Not judging,we lived that way for a long time,didn't get us much in the end.
We are looking at jobs that pay $8/hour and they think that is fine...LOL.

When I was a dishwasher back in the mid 1990's I was paid more....

Hey and Greenville is commuting distance from WNC...well a long commute but still.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Nonsensical, in the real world, imo.

We worked our fannies off, saved like squirrels, lived well below our considerable means, and bailed to early retirement, in our early 50s
a decade ago.

But, everyone has their own bag.
Working your life away in order to be 'secure' in your retired years seems a waste of the best years of your life,especially as we see our dollar fall in value to where it is worth so much less.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:10 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Working your life away in order to be 'secure' in your retired years seems a waste of the best years of your life, especially as we see our dollar fall in value to where it is worth so much less.
That's the reason so many have invested in gold. It's not so much to make money as it is to keep the value of their money intact.

Anyway, how would you finance your retirement years if not by some form of savings/investment? You could work at some low-paying job forever, but if you become disabled, what then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina