Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,770 times

Advertisements

Nope - no exaggeration - Marshall is 18 miles from Asheville - we laugh that there are maybe four traffic lights all the way to the airport!! After Midwest living - it's a breeze. Yes, I think the pop. is now 840 - there are around 20K in the whole county!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Wow! Marshall! What's not to like? Sounds like a little bit of paradise to me, although having lived in a small mountain town in Vermont even with three times the population, relationships can sometimes become a bit too close for comfort. Although I would imagine the proximity to Asheville might diffuse things a little. The Vermont town was not near enough to any larger population center to prevent the residents from becoming focused inward on themselves and their neighbors.

This is a pleasant surprise to hear about this town, so far it's been all Weaverville, Black Mountain, Hendersonville, etc. Marshall seems like such a pleasant alternative, and so very attractive. Any good swimming spots along the French Broad there?

Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM

Also, isn't there a kayaking instruction center in that area? I know this sounds nutty, and it may be just a pipe dream for me, but in my retirement I'd like to learn the sport and maybe actually kayak the Rocky Broad before I pass on to my reward, whatever that may be, lol. I came across a couple of awesome head cam videos of Rocky Broad kayaking. I don't know how those folks do it, what an obstacle course. But it just looked like so much fun. However, I'd need VERY patient instruction from someone who knows how to make a nervous nellie novice into an expert.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
sometimes there are swimming holes in creeks. But the water is cold and moves fast.

My kids think it hilarious that I didn't learn to swim until I was grown. But I would remind them that I grew up in the land of creeks and waterfalls. not swimming pools with solar heat

Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
sometimes there are swimming holes in creeks. But the water is cold and moves fast.

My kids think it hilarious that I didn't learn to swim until I was grown. But I would remind them that I grew up in the land of creeks and waterfalls. not swimming pools with solar heat
I grew up with the northern seashore, pools (both indoor and out, of the public and club variety, never owned one) and lakes, so I do like to take a dip every once in a while. I will want to hear more about the life aquatic in WNC, but I guess that's for another thread. In my research on the area, it has been interesting to read about some of the swimming areas. Definitely not what I'm used to, but I'm game for anything when it comes to water, even creeks and waterfalls. I do like to find swimmable areas of rivers and lakes, though. Preferably with not too squishy of a bottom.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Also, isn't there a kayaking instruction center in that area? I know this sounds nutty, and it may be just a pipe dream for me, but in my retirement I'd like to learn the sport and maybe actually kayak the Rocky Broad before I pass on to my reward, whatever that may be, lol. I came across a couple of awesome head cam videos of Rocky Broad kayaking. I don't know how those folks do it, what an obstacle course. But it just looked like so much fun. However, I'd need VERY patient instruction from someone who knows how to make a nervous nellie novice into an expert.

Do a Google search for the Nantahala Outdoor Center ..... absolutely awesome. The 1996 I believe it was, Olympic Kayak event was held over on the Ocoee I believe it was. You'll pull up info on that from Google as well. Lots of kayaking on the rivers here, but the Nantahala is swift, make no mistake about it; they paddle the snub nose kayaks mostly around here. The Davidson River has areas for kayaking along the Pisgah Forest areas near Brevard.

You'll probably want to get a pool here if you are accustomed to having one, but that will require just the right type of land. Not a lot of pools here like in the north or other places. The weather is such that cooler nights don't warrant pools, and in the summer, people go go go around here; they don't lay around by the pool unless maybe they belong to a "club" or there is one in a gated community etc. So much to do here, lots to see, explore. I would not swim in the rivers or creeks though, not many do that. Kids go fishing etc., and you stay away from waterfalls. People die here every year because they are too "adventurous" and don't read signs or believe how fast the river can throw you over the falls. I've had inground pools when I lived up north; have never even considered one here. Besides, you may end up with well water; and can't recall ever seeing those water trucks that fill up pools. Not a big biz here.

If you need a beach fix, you can always drive over to Myrtle Beach SC, about 4.5 hr. drive, stay the weekend, and come back to God's country.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM

I enjoy a swim when it gets hot, but as to owning a pool, no way. Never have, and probably never will. I don't need the maintenance worries. A decent public pool or pool club is OK, though. Pools are one of those things that are better to "rent" access to, than own, IMO.

There's a great site that notes all the swimming holes in NC, including WNC and rates them, along with ease of access and age-appropriateness, etc. Also how to get there, where to park, if there are fees, etc. Mills River is listed.

I'll maybe post a WNC Life Aquatic thread later on and see what folks have to say. I hear there's some good tubing in WNC, I like that too.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I enjoy a swim when it gets hot, but as to owning a pool, no way. Never have, and probably never will. I don't need the maintenance worries. A decent public pool or pool club is OK, though. Pools are one of those things that are better to "rent" access to, than own, IMO.

There's a great site that notes all the swimming holes in NC, including WNC and rates them, along with ease of access and age-appropriateness, etc. Also how to get there, where to park, if there are fees, etc. Mills River is listed.

I'll maybe post a WNC Life Aquatic thread later on and see what folks have to say. I hear there's some good tubing in WNC, I like that too.

Very few "public" pools or "pool clubs" here. Tubing on some rivers is quite popular; there is a tubing concession on the Rt. 191 side of the French Broad near Bent Creek. Plenty of lakes in the camping areas in the National Forests etc.

You seem to already have answered all your own questions. But stay away from rivers that lead to beautiful waterfalls, or we'll read about you in the news. Are you from FL, or NY ?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 AM

"You seem to already have answered all your own questions."

There's always more to know and that's why I like this forum. Many times what's advertised or written about on the Internet is not an entirely accurate portrayal. Local input is very valuable, especially from someone who has had direct experience.

For example, Lake Junaluska. Looks lovely on the internet, but only here did I discover that it can have a tendency to stink and it may not be the best place for a dip. And I would never have known that, had I not read an offhand comment by one of the posters, and later got more information.

"But stay away from rivers that lead to beautiful waterfalls, or we'll read about you in the news."

My ideal scenario is a nice, semi-deep pool at the bottom of a waterfall. Prefer not to go over any falls, although I've seen some interesting videos of kayakers who do it deliberately. Whew! What's really heart-stopping is when they get stuck at the bottom of the falls, getting pounded rolling over and over, until they're able to break away and continue downstream.

"Are you from FL, or NY ?"

Born and raised in NY, then went to school, lived, worked and travelled the New England states (CT, MA, VT, RI) and have lived in Florida for quite some time now.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
"You seem to already have answered all your own questions."

There's always more to know and that's why I like this forum. Many times what's advertised or written about on the Internet is not an entirely accurate portrayal. Local input is very valuable, especially from someone who has had direct experience.

For example, Lake Junaluska. Looks lovely on the internet, but only here did I discover that it can have a tendency to stink and it may not be the best place for a dip. And I would never have known that, had I not read an offhand comment by one of the posters, and later got more information.

"But stay away from rivers that lead to beautiful waterfalls, or we'll read about you in the news."

My ideal scenario is a nice, semi-deep pool at the bottom of a waterfall. Prefer not to go over any falls, although I've seen some interesting videos of kayakers who do it deliberately. Whew! What's really heart-stopping is when they get stuck at the bottom of the falls, getting pounded rolling over and over, until they're able to break away and continue downstream.

"Are you from FL, or NY ?"

Born and raised in NY, then went to school, lived, worked and travelled the New England states (CT, MA, VT, RI) and have lived in Florida for quite some time now.

Check out the DuPont State Forest website KMarc, lovely area, plenty of falls and hiking etc. They have two "tours" per year, and if you are here during one of those times, take advantage of a tour if the weather permits. (One is in October, and we've done some damp cold tours then.) My point about pools for you though, and that is why I asked where you are from, is that we do not have a lot of pools, especially public. Except in country club atmospheres and other private pools, in restricted subdivisions/gated communities. Swimming in rivers and lakes around here though .... not my cup of tea nor my native/local friends either. Muddy bottoms, and whatever is "down there". Snakes etc. No gators or snapping turles tho. If you like camping and exploring, this is big time RV country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina