Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times

Advertisements

Hi there KM,

This appeared in the Asheville Citizens Times this morning, and I thought it would be very interesting for you to click on the "related links" and see a smattering of some neighborhoods in South Asheville which is a bit north of Fletcher/Arden area and showing some homes in developments off Rt. 191 that leads from AVL to Mills River, just skirting the Arden area which is west of 191. Gives you an idea of the styles of newer homes that you will find in the various areas south of AVL including Fletcher, Arden, Hendersonville etc. Those shown of course are big $$$$, but you might love: Livingston Farms, Southchase, St. John's Common, Riverbirch, River Stone etc., homes near Jackson Rd. etc. Family areas.

Enjoy !

Cast your vote: Top 5 South Asheville | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

QC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 AM

12 posts, read 21,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Hi there KM,

This appeared in the Asheville Citizens Times this morning, and I thought it would be very interesting for you to click on the "related links" and see a smattering of some neighborhoods in South Asheville which is a bit north of Fletcher/Arden area and showing some homes in developments off Rt. 191 that leads from AVL to Mills River, just skirting the Arden area which is west of 191. Gives you an idea of the styles of newer homes that you will find in the various areas south of AVL including Fletcher, Arden, Hendersonville etc. Those shown of course are big $$$$, but you might love: Livingston Farms, Southchase, St. John's Common, Riverbirch, River Stone etc., homes near Jackson Rd. etc. Family areas.

Enjoy !

Cast your vote: Top 5 South Asheville | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

QC
Thank you QC!! I love the variety! And the scenery sure helps too. I was just checking when schools start in the area... I was thinking it was beginning of Aug., but it looks like they start at the end of Aug. Is that correct?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:57 AM

221 posts, read 461,880 times
In Buncombe County, schools start on August 16.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeMama View Post
Thank you QC!! I love the variety! And the scenery sure helps too. I was just checking when schools start in the area... I was thinking it was beginning of Aug., but it looks like they start at the end of Aug. Is that correct?

Not sure if they have set opening date for school in Henderson County or not; but here is the Henderson County School Dept. website. Hope this helps:

About Us | Henderson County Public Schools

qc

Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 AM

22 posts, read 45,258 times
Had to weigh in here..interesting thread, I think it struck a cord with me...My family of four is moving "back" to our beloved Appalachia next week...I say moving back-my husband and I are both originally from NW GA, finding our way to Asheville by way of Madison, WI and most recently Chapel Hill while my husband earned a law degree (currently buried in a pit of bar study.) For us, Asheville is a perfect spot, and really does feel like coming home again to me. My grand mother, now 92 and still loving life, was born near Bryson City, and left for GA at the age of 8, about the age of my oldest daughter now, as we move back to the area. Feels full circle to me in a good way. Although I've never lived in a town quite as tourist driven as Asheville, I think everything about it is a perfect fit...Familiar, but not too much so to not be exciting. I do relish the wide open spaces of the southwest US, have grown to love the bread basket that is the great Midwest, and part of my heart will always belong to coastal lands. But, in the end, the mountains are home to me, and I'm so ready and excited to dig in my heels, build my community, and hopefully stay til I'm old and gray....

Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 AM

22 posts, read 45,258 times
Sorry-posted the above on the wrong thread..Major forum no-no, I realize, please forgive me

Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctiluca View Post
In Buncombe County, schools start on August 16.
Good to know! Thank you!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtownmama View Post
Had to weigh in here..interesting thread, I think it struck a cord with me...My family of four is moving "back" to our beloved Appalachia next week...I say moving back-my husband and I are both originally from NW GA, finding our way to Asheville by way of Madison, WI and most recently Chapel Hill while my husband earned a law degree (currently buried in a pit of bar study.) For us, Asheville is a perfect spot, and really does feel like coming home again to me. My grand mother, now 92 and still loving life, was born near Bryson City, and left for GA at the age of 8, about the age of my oldest daughter now, as we move back to the area. Feels full circle to me in a good way. Although I've never lived in a town quite as tourist driven as Asheville, I think everything about it is a perfect fit...Familiar, but not too much so to not be exciting. I do relish the wide open spaces of the southwest US, have grown to love the bread basket that is the great Midwest, and part of my heart will always belong to coastal lands. But, in the end, the mountains are home to me, and I'm so ready and excited to dig in my heels, build my community, and hopefully stay til I'm old and gray....
My oldest daughter is also 8, so I thought you were posting appropriately! No worries! How is your daughter taking the move? Mine is not super excited, but I think she is just afraid of the unknown. All my kids have no problems meeting and making new friends, so I think they'll adjust quickly and really grow to like it.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 AM

I just wanted to update my original post... we have been in Asheville now for 7 months are loving it!! (I can't believe it's been that long already.) My husband got an awesome job with a wonderful company. We were able to find a rental in a good school district for our girls. And, we actually just purchased a home! We are settling in very nicely. The people here have been very welcoming and we've very much enjoyed checking out the town and surrounding areas. The weather over-all has been great. It's been a bit rainier this winter than I was expecting, but we're used to negative temps and lots of snow. So I'm not complaining. Fall was beautiful... the colors stayed longer than what we're used to. We're looking forward to seeing what spring and summer are like here in the mountains! I have to say though... I thought it be warmer by now, March 2! Woke up with snow on the ground!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeMama View Post
I just wanted to update my original post... we have been in Asheville now for 7 months are loving it!! (I can't believe it's been that long already.) My husband got an awesome job with a wonderful company. We were able to find a rental in a good school district for our girls. And, we actually just purchased a home! We are settling in very nicely. The people here have been very welcoming and we've very much enjoyed checking out the town and surrounding areas. The weather over-all has been great. It's been a bit rainier this winter than I was expecting, but we're used to negative temps and lots of snow. So I'm not complaining. Fall was beautiful... the colors stayed longer than what we're used to. We're looking forward to seeing what spring and summer are like here in the mountains! I have to say though... I thought it be warmer by now, March 2! Woke up with snow on the ground!

Congratulations ! we had a "dusting" of snow this morning, very pretty. Here we are now a bit after 9 am, and poof ... it's gone.

Glad to hear you've settled in nicely and enjoying everything about the area and found a good school district. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina