Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 12:13 AM

758 posts, read 2,288,160 times

Advertisements

Hello again to our “virtual family”....

I play hammered dulcimer (not the beautiful but entirely different "Appalachian/lap/mountain/fretted" dulcimer). The hammered dulcimer, though it does not originate here, is well known in this region and is locally crafted with great pride. I am the happy owner of one of those locally-crafted dulcimers. Mine is without a doubt among the BIGGEST (five octave chromatic, with damper pedal and built-in mic) and BEST hammered dulcimers made in the world today—or ever, for that matter.

I have for the past ten years been privileged to play hammered dulcimer with professional musicians from San Diego Symphony, San Diego Chamber Orchestra, and other professional venues. So my ear has been spoiled (if you will) and so have I.

I may go mad if I do not soon have the opportunity to play Baroque/Classical music again—on either a professional or volunteer basis—with violin, viola, cello (and sometimes flute, trumpet, and other instruments as well).

[For those musically inclined: I'm talking about playing Baroque/Classical (especially Baroque!!) but also other styles (Celtic, Old-Time, Traditional, Popular, Sacred) for weddings and parties and concerts and church services and... well... I’ve been playing for about 150 special events a year for the past 10 years, so you can imagine the breadth and depth—and joy—of my experience (and Bill's, as he shared it all with me)!! For these past ten years I have performed on HAMMERED DULCIMER chiefly in the ROLE of "second violin" in trio, quartet, and quintet settings, and have performed often in duet and solo roles as well.]

I do not mean to submit a "resume," and I am not looking for a "job." It's just that I have been a Hendersonville resident for less than a week now and have already realized how much I could miss my musical LIFE here!

Does anyone know how to guide me, please?

Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 06:35 AM

648 posts, read 2,981,137 times
not sure whether you're looking for a professional group, or private events. This area is a wedding mecca, and there are musicians who play at the weddings and receptions. You could try to form a small group (trio, quartet) or go out on your own and market yourself to play at such events. Or you could contact the Asheville Symphony for a more structured, professional setting.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
not sure whether you're looking for a professional group, or private events. This area is a wedding mecca, and there are musicians who play at the weddings and receptions. You could try to form a small group (trio, quartet) or go out on your own and market yourself to play at such events. Or you could contact the Asheville Symphony for a more structured, professional setting.
Thanks for the info, cooperwx. It's good to know that this area is a wedding mecca, since I'm interested in playing for private weddings and other special events. I'm not sure, however, how to organize a trio/quartet OR how to market our services in this area. Lots of ideas come to mind, but most of them require a more substantial investment in time and money than I had in mind for semi-retirement. Maybe if I keep itching to do this, the right ideas will come along....

Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Jan - You may want to find out if your county has an Arts Council - Madison County has an active Arts Council and I bet they have opportunities for musicians to play at their various events - Doesn't Brevard have and Arts Council?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Jan - You may want to find out if your county has an Arts Council - Madison County has an active Arts Council and I bet they have opportunities for musicians to play at their various events - Doesn't Brevard have and Arts Council?
Now there's an idea--I'm in Hendersonville and I see that it has an Arts Council. I don't know exactly what that's all about but I'll check into it... right after I find the box my music binders are in....

Thanks for the tip, Loves mountains!

Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina