Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 01:51 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times

Advertisements

Are there any fall festivals or fall events going on the weekend of Sept 25? Anything with pumpkins, train rides, etc for the grandbaby who is 2 Petting farms with fall events would work as well.

Last edited by beckycat; 09-23-2014 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM

221 posts, read 462,049 times
Does it have to be in Black Mountain, or can you drive a bit? The Eliada corn maze in west Asheville is great for little kids. The maze itself may be too long for a 2-year-old to walk, but they've also got activities for little ones - a slide, a hay bale maze, a box full of corn kernels to play in, a spiderweb climbing structure, and a cow train. Hickory Nut Gap Farm in Fairview is also great in the fall - they have a kid-friendly corn maze, farm animals, and hay rides, as well as a pumpkin patch. Also, the WNC Nature Center is having their Howl-O-Ween event on the 25th, with face painting, arts & crafts, and a costume contest. They do have a petting zoo. We went to all of these events when my son was little, and they're always fun.

Attractions | Eliada
Activities - Hickory Nut Gap Farm
Howl-O-Ween - October 25, 2014 | Friends of WNC NC

The only thing I could find in Black Mountain for that weekend was a pet costume parade. If you think that would be of interest, get in touch with the Bone-A-Fide pet boutique. It benefits local animal rescue organizations.

I hope your grandbaby has a great time!

Old 09-23-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctiluca View Post
Does it have to be in Black Mountain, or can you drive a bit? The Eliada corn maze in west Asheville is great for little kids. The maze itself may be too long for a 2-year-old to walk, but they've also got activities for little ones - a slide, a hay bale maze, a box full of corn kernels to play in, a spiderweb climbing structure, and a cow train. Hickory Nut Gap Farm in Fairview is also great in the fall - they have a kid-friendly corn maze, farm animals, and hay rides, as well as a pumpkin patch. Also, the WNC Nature Center is having their Howl-O-Ween event on the 25th, with face painting, arts & crafts, and a costume contest. They do have a petting zoo. We went to all of these events when my son was little, and they're always fun.

Attractions | Eliada
Activities - Hickory Nut Gap Farm
Howl-O-Ween - October 25, 2014 | Friends of WNC NC

The only thing I could find in Black Mountain for that weekend was a pet costume parade. If you think that would be of interest, get in touch with the Bone-A-Fide pet boutique. It benefits local animal rescue organizations.

I hope your grandbaby has a great time!
Thanks! I made a mistake, I meant to say this weekend. Those all sound great! I need to find when they start?

Old 09-23-2014, 03:59 PM

Ha - I was thinking you must be really organized to plan a month ahead! Eliada and Hickory Nut Gap are already open - their hours should be on the websites.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Ha - I was thinking you must be really organized to plan a month ahead! Eliada and Hickory Nut Gap are already open - their hours should be on the websites.
Although those are wonderful ideas, it maybe more for older kids?? She's just 2 this weekend. I'll definitely keep those in mind for next year Any churches having something going on or other suggestions??

Last edited by beckycat; 09-23-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 04:57 PM

I did find a few more but not in Black Mountain.

Plan Your Visit | Sky Top Orchard | Flat Rock, NC

Link to a Pumpkin Patch / Corn Maze at http://www.grandadsapples.com/

Link to a Pumpkin Patch / Corn Maze at http://www.steppapples.com

Old 09-24-2014, 09:22 AM

Yes, those apple orchards are fun, too! They usually have hay rides, and I believe Granddad's has a cow train and Sky Top has a petting zoo. All of the activities I mentioned usually have lots of toddlers at them, but we didn't start going until age 3 so I don't know what the experience is like for the really young set. The closest to Black Mountain would be the Nature Center, which has a petting zoo but no special events this weekend. Always worth a visit, though. Hope you have fun whatever you choose!

Old 09-25-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, those apple orchards are fun, too! They usually have hay rides, and I believe Granddad's has a cow train and Sky Top has a petting zoo. All of the activities I mentioned usually have lots of toddlers at them, but we didn't start going until age 3 so I don't know what the experience is like for the really young set. The closest to Black Mountain would be the Nature Center, which has a petting zoo but no special events this weekend. Always worth a visit, though. Hope you have fun whatever you choose!
Thanks so much!! Have you been to Granddad's or Sky Top? Is one better than the other?

Last edited by beckycat; 09-25-2014 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 11:59 AM

I've been to both, and I think it would be hard to go wrong. Sky Top seems to be most popular for school field trips. We were there recently - they have awesome apple cider donuts, a little playground, some animals, and a hay ride. It's been a year or two since I was at Grandad's, but if I'm thinking of the right one they had a cow train ride through the corn fields, pumpkins, farm animals, and I think a llama? It's also very close to Stepp's and several others, so you could make a day of visiting orchards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina