Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 AM

42 posts, read 148,003 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to see Asheville and I'm wondering what there would be to do with my 10 year old son. I'm not an outdoorsman but would enjoy going on an easy rafting trip, etc... I'd just like to see the city too as I think we may relocate in another year or two. I'm looking for a cultured city with progressive politics and LOW HEAT AND HUMIDITY!!

Can anyone tell me what months they would reccomend to come visit Asheville? I really have no concept of the weather in that area. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 12:24 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,634 times
The southern appalachians are beautiful in late-October and early-November during the foilage season -- a perfect time to visit Asheville. You definitely will have some good rafting, canoeing, and/or hiking options right off the Blue Ridge Parkway (that runs through the city) and the French Broad river (that also runs through the city). Also, I think a 10-year old might be interested in Chimney Rock Park. It is a private 1000-acre park about 20 miles east of Asheville. I consider it hiking-lite b/c it has relatively short and well-maintained trails along with a couple of "attractions" that you wouldn't find in a real wilderness hike. Here's a link.

Chimney Rock Park | North Carolina hiking trails with incredible mountain views

Asheville also has some great places to eat, including the coolest Mellow Mushroom I have ever been in.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,378 times
We liked French Broad Rafting in Marshall - they have a really nice 2-hour rafting trip - the French Broad is really low so not too may rapids - but the water is warm and they take you to a spot where you can jump off high rocks into the water - fun for 10 yr. olds. Not sure what the rafting would be like in the Spring - I am guessing lots more rapids! and colder water! Also the Appalachian Trail runs through the town of Hot Springs so you can walk though town and say you hiked the AT - LOL! Also another poster gave us a link to Sliding Rock - Sliding Rock - it looks really cool - can't wait to try it myself - maybe on a week day it might not be too crowded

Old 10-11-2007, 11:19 AM

14 posts, read 46,355 times
We watched some folks sliding at Sliding Rock in late September. The smart ones had on wetsuits! I guess that water is really cold year round, but it was a cool day so they really needed it then. It looked a bit fast and rough for me (AARP age), but the college kids didn't seem to mind.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:07 PM

181 posts, read 692,371 times
Just a clarification for what it's worth. Chimney Rock Park is not a private park any more. The state of NC has purchased the property and will continue to operate it as a state park. And........it is a beautiful place this time of year.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 AM

42 posts, read 148,003 times
Default Thanks for your help-what about flights?

Thanks for all your help-This sounds like exactly what I"m looking for. Can anyone tell me the best airline to fly in? I'm assuming the Asheville airport doesnt have too many airlines going to it.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
We liked French Broad Rafting in Marshall - they have a really nice 2-hour rafting trip - the French Broad is really low so not too may rapids - but the water is warm and they take you to a spot where you can jump off high rocks into the water - fun for 10 yr. olds. Not sure what the rafting would be like in the Spring - I am guessing lots more rapids! and colder water! Also the Appalachian Trail runs through the town of Hot Springs so you can walk though town and say you hiked the AT - LOL! Also another poster gave us a link to Sliding Rock - Sliding Rock - it looks really cool - can't wait to try it myself - maybe on a week day it might not be too crowded
Oh, just so you know, the water at Sliding Rock is Titanic cold, lol. I mean, it is freezing!!!! Even on a hot day you will be shivering! But you HAVE to do it, it is so much fun

Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 PM

92 posts, read 479,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwex View Post
Thanks for all your help-This sounds like exactly what I"m looking for. Can anyone tell me the best airline to fly in? I'm assuming the Asheville airport doesnt have too many airlines going to it.

Thanks,
Ryan
Not sure of all the airlines that fly into Asheville without looking but I'm aware of Northwest, Delta, and I believe USAir. However, the comment I wanted to make is that you might want to consider flying into Greenville-Spartanburg, SC or Charlotte, NC instead and driving to Asheville from there. Charlotte is probably 2 hours or so to drive and GSP is probably 1.5 hours away. That last leg from a major airport to Asheville is very expensive compared to the leg into Charlotte or GSP. I assume you'll need/want a rental car while there anyway so that won't cost anything extra and the gas will be much less than the airfare to Asheville. And, you'll get to enjoy the beautiful scenery on the drive from Charlotte/GSP to Asheville. If coming from Charlotte you can take the scenic route up past the Lake Lure/Chimney Rock area. That will add some time to the trip but if you have the time it will be worth it.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:40 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,378 times
Ryan - We fly into Knoxville airport - there are direct flights from Chicago as opposed to Asheville which requires a layover (think Charlotte-Atlanta-Cincy) Knoxville airport is just under 2 hours to Asheville - and it's a pretty drive over the mountains through Hot Springs. I understand that Chicago has direct flights to Greenville, SC as well which is a bit closer to Asheville. Knoxville prices have been really reasonable of late.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:52 AM

108 posts, read 383,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwex View Post

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,
I see you're from Philadelphia, my home town (was just there last weekend visiting my Dad)... that's one crowded place these days! I live now in CT, and am flying into Charlotte at the end of the month on US Air. i avoid connecting flights like the plague, and hope that going direct from Hartord to Charlotte will be as painless as air travel can be nowadays.

I'm renting a car and driving to Hot Springs where, although it is supposed to be peak tourist season, I had no trouble getting a hotel room. I plan to check out Waynesville, and Mars Hill and maybe Burnsille. Asheville is great, but I need to end up outside Buncombe County.

This past spring we rented a cottage in Candler in early April (I think it was the week of the 7th)... it was unusually cold still, and parts of the Parkway were closed due to ice. So if you're going in the Spring, a bit later might be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina